I know this has been covered many times in many different forums....Blisters.

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by AznAndrew, Mar 9, 2009.

1. AznAndrew

AznAndrew Regular Member

I've had my grip for about a year or so, and I'm at least 75% sure i've been holding my racquet the same also. However, for some reason, i've been getting blisters for the last 3 weeks. I've heard it was because of holding the racquet too tight, holding it wrong, or it just needs re gripping.
    [​IMG]
    (Index finger :()

[​IMG]
    (Under the pinky)

[​IMG]
    (My grip. It's pretty dark, and it's really tight now beacuse i used to hold my racquet so hard. It also has a few spots where it's starting to rip)

So, what do you think the cause is? If it's the grip, i can probably get a new one on Sunday..

2. DonnyGan

DonnyGan Regular Member

Logistics
    is that the karakal duo?

3. ray_mond

ray_mond Regular Member

i've had both blisters actually, the index one being closer to the top joint, and the one under the pinky exactly the same. Both of them, I treated by taking a pin, draining the liquid to prevent it from popping during play, popped a bandaid on, and a week or so later, it would a callous. these callous are still here to this day, and i dont get any more blisters.

4. AznAndrew

AznAndrew Regular Member

I don't believe so. It's a Black Knight grip.

5. bradmyster

bradmyster Regular Member

Customer server network Support
    i cant see the pics cause im on a **** computer.
    i use towel grip cause i used to get blisters. only problem is they deteriorate very quickly.
    i use a towel grip for maybe 3 training sessions before needing a new one.

and you shouldnt be holding your racket tight until your hitting through your stroke.

6. hybridragon

hybridragon Regular Member

Student
    Two questions:
    -Has it been dry and cold lately?

-Have you stopped playing for a week or two and got back into playing again?

If you answer yes to both of them, that can be the cause if you're not changing the tightness of your grip from before.

Then again you could be holding it too tightly at times causing your blister. Can't really tell unless we see your grip on your swing.

7. Danstevens

Danstevens Regular Member

Student
    If you haven't changed your grip, haven't just come back to playing or started to play more, I'd regrip it. The Karakal PU super grip is excellent.

8. AznAndrew

AznAndrew Regular Member

For those who are wondering how i hold my racquet:
    It's something like this:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. hybridragon

Student
    You should be using that grip from drives usually. Here's a guide on the correct grip:

http://www.badmintonbible.com/articles/grips-guide/

There's a chance the grip you were holding was the reason why you're getting the blisters. Over using the power from the index finger from that grip can give you a blister like that.

10. AznAndrew

AznAndrew Regular Member

Ahh. I've been using that grip for my drives (I use them often in games), smashes, even drops sometimes.

I also use the backhand grip for backhands shots (Obviously :p), lifts, drops (when it's close to the net), and rear court backhand shots..

I just have one question. Do you believe my blisters are the cause of my racquet handling, the grip, or both?

Also, should i get a new grip regardless? The grip i have now is very tight because of how hard i used to hold it.

11. hybridragon

Student
    Well, not holding the correct grip can give blisters since, well, it's not correct. It's hard to pick up at first, but you should try to use the correct grip for each thing you do (forehand grip for smash and clear, backhand grip for backhand, etc) Also as some have said already, try to not grip it so hard all the time. You're only supposed to tighten your grip as you're about to swing. If you're holding it fairly tightly too often, that can give you blisters as well.

But yea, if you haven't changed the grip in a while, then yea, you should change it. I like squishy grips, they feel good.

12. drifit

drifit newbie

PM
    few things will cause this.
    1. the grip need replacement. old grip tends to harden, thus, will get us blister. change to new one regularly.
    2. not playing badminton for a long time. the more we use, the parts of skin that usually in contact, will gets thicker.

13. venkatesh

venkatesh Regular Member

editor
    Maybe the skin of your palm is just too sensitive. Your hand looks smooth and fragile (please do take this as a compliment). I don't get blisters perhaps because the skin on my hand is more rough.

14. AznAndrew

AznAndrew Regular Member

LOL. Makes me sound more feminine :p
    But yeah, it may be due to my 9 years in piano...

Anywho, i found a solution to this. Electric Tape :O

I don't even feel it there, and it covers it perfectly.

15. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    Blisters on the racquet hand mean wrong grip. You grip the handle in such a way that it generates friction, thus heat, and without adequate cooling this (blisters) is what you get. Try to rotate the handle in your hand all the time, gripping it only when you are uncocking your wrist. This way you get enough cooling and your blisters will be a memory of the past.

16. dunker

dunker Regular Member

Veterinarian
    I don't think cooling is a factor, there is not enough heat generated by grip friction to cause blisters.

17. drop2it

drop2it Regular Member

Part-Time Student, Full-time Badminton Fanatic
    I have a hunch that the beveled corners might be causing you problems when you change to different grips during a rally. I once tried playing with only 1 overgrip applied directly to the the wooden handle. Although my grips were correct, the unforgiving surface had my hand rubbed raw and sore within an hour of play time. I went back to the more traditional handle-replacement grip-overgrip combo, and things were fine. Note that the overgrip that I used in both scenarios was the same, so it couldn't have been a difference in the actual handle surface. Based on this, I think that all you need more padding. Go find a nice, thick, comfy overgrip.