My thoughts on the AE so far.

Discussion in 'German Open / All England / Swiss Open 2009' started by Destricto_Ense, Mar 4, 2009.

1. etudiant

etudiant Regular Member

if its played yesterday (R2) of course its Firda...hehe...

2. Destricto_Ense

Destricto_Ense Regular Member

Student
    Sounds right, yeah. They were from Indonesia.

3. No one

No one Regular Member

I think what destricto said was spot on. IMO many of the MS games as a rule were quite boring: eg., BCL vs BCL, gong weijie vs chen jin, gade vs ng wei (the last because gade was just a class above).

What destricto said about the zweibler LCW game was right: zweibler is very similar in getting everything back (you can see this in his friench open game against ngyuen tien minh or against joppien on youtube). But it seemed to me LCW kept pushing zweibler on his backhand using a lot of flicks, and zweibler had quite a bit of trouble with this.

the taufik-smith game was ok. destricto is right: much of the blame goes to taufik's inconsistency. But I have to say (and I'm not english!) that I was actually quite impressed by andrew smith: he's gotten a lot better since I last saw him. But man, he needs to get rid of those terrible outfits.....

I was glad to see sho sazaki go through: he's so quick.

MD: this was pretty boring on the whole--most of the games were too quick--usually it was a case of one side being too strong or the other side just not being there mentally--eg., the japanese-danish game (a contrast with last year! ikeda was really disappointing this time around); the danish-german game; the chinese-korean game. The one game that was good ended prematurely--the danes against the malaysians because one of the danish players slipped and hurt his ankle badly--he was rolling about in pain and it looked nasty. I thought the fuzzies were really good: they looked quite worried for the danish player and one of them even picked the dane's racquet and put it away for him.

The highlights were really in the WS and XD, and there were many.

wang yihan vs zhou mi: 3 set game. I didn't watch much of this game but the third set was pretty exciting. WYH just kept pushing ZM and when it got to about 20-20 the fatigue really showed on Zhou Mi. There was one point soon after this when ZM was so tired she just stopped on court and let the shuttle fall--she was just too tired.

Yip pui yin vs wang lin: 3 set game. personally I felt the crowd rooting for YPY for 2 reasons: 1. the chinese women's singles team had basically won all day. 2. I think everyone just admired Yip's plucky spirit--she never gave up. the second set was pretty exciting, going 26-24 in Yip's favour. YPY was very quick, often getting to the net to reply to wang lin's drop shots with a neat cross court net shot of her own, usually pushing wang lin out of position. But then she would give her advantage away by making silly mistakes. In the third set I felt that YPY's deceptive jump-drops were becoming predictable, but it was still quite close the whole way.

Brosolat vs phy: 3 set game. Brosolat's slice drops just seemed to impossible for Pi to read, but whenever Brosolat tried something different, like a smash, the dane tended to hit it out. And once PHY started losing in the third game, she engaged in some psychological warfare by not returning the shuttle and taking her sweet time on court: which was fine, and brosolat retaliated by doing the same.

wallwork-white vs kristiansen-juhl: 2 sets. I'm not fond of the English but I thought wallwork was just brilliant in this game. She was quick, anticipated a lot. The English side spent most of their time attacking the weaker kristiansen and pressuring her, keeping the more dangerous juhl from getting the offensive. They didn't have to worry much: juhl played terribly when she had the chance (but she made up for it in her XD game against the chinese).

for me the top games were the XD games--because the underdogs played so well.

the indian-korean game: 3 set game. unfortunately it was going on quite far away from me but the indian male player had an unbelievable smash and he was very, very good at doing very fast flat drives. they fought every point and I think the koreans were quite surpised to lose 21-23. The second set the indians were really quite confident but the koreans pulled ahead. And the disappointment of losing the 2nd set really showed in the indian pair: both just seemed to lose their way and they lost I think 21-14.

limpele and russikh vs the British team of blair and bankier: 2 sets, but 6-24; 21-19! brilliant. Despite russikh getting called on her apparently high services several times--at least 5 times, I would say (and even the unflappable limpele seemed annoyed--he demonstrated on court to russikh how to serve!), this new team was brilliant. Russikh just got everything back and limpele was just too quick--he did a wonderful shot at the net which left the British running in the wrong direction! The British were good too: bankier was excellent at the net, often replying to russikh's netplay with her own netplay (instead of lifting), but I felt blair didn't do enough at the back.

#23 No one, Mar 6, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2009
  4. No one

No one Regular Member

oh yeah and what everyone else said about the yonex stuff: ugh, what a ripoff. You would think that they would reduce prices a little more but no go. The camera rule is idiotic, but if you are going to enforce it, do so: I saw so many people pull out their camera and take photos/film. the stewards spent much of their time telling everyone to put their cameras away. It was just silly.

5. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Appreciate the report..

:)..With their partnership, Russkikh should really be taking advantage of Limpele's breadth of knowledge and expertise.
    Thanks for sharing your report/experience with us, No one!:cool:

#25 ctjcad, Mar 6, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2009
  6. Destricto_Ense

Student
    The factory outlet was reasonably cheap. I got two tops for £30 total and then the All England shirt was £10 which is not bad. However, Shuttles and racquets were full price which is ridiculous.

7. No one

No one Regular Member

oops, the flandy-russikh game was 26-24, not 6-24....:rolleyes:

8. No one

No one Regular Member

also I completely misspelled Russkikh's name....

9. eaglehelang

eaglehelang Regular Member

Thanks a lot for your courtside report, you're really Someone & not no one;);)

10. pjswift

pjswift Regular Member

Thanks ,No one and Destricto Ense(what a name! how did you coin it?) for your interesting and informative courtside reports.Do keep it coming.
    Since you now know that camera owners outnumber the stewards, it's time to break the camera and video rule ,which are meant to be broken.
    If the steward comes up to you, you can always point him in the direction of others with the flash or remind him he's blocking some spectators' view which would be even more offensive?
    As for the video,use it! Don't AE organisers know you are helping them to maintain visibility and broadening the reach to the 'happening' netizen crowd of ?????(what's BC's population?) and counting.And doing all this for free and for the love of AE? (In Singapore,the interest in AE is not as high as before,that's why the silly Starhub cable TV decided to delay telecast the SF in favour of the boring Davis Cup.)

11. cheeyf

cheeyf Regular Member

thx 4 sharing experience.btw did u watch ,wong/chin vs china?hw mqas wd play?thx

12. robin7

robin7 Regular Member

Dreamer
    Excellent stuff! Keep them coming...

13. No one

No one Regular Member

I probably could write more but I better not....the lin dan vs bao game was weird. You got no sense of how good BCL actually is. I couldn't figure out if he had been ordered to lose the game, was nervous because he was playing against LD, or was just outclassed by LD. In any case, it was a rotten match, because Bao kept making mistakes--or relatively more than LD, who I don't think made any! My impression of LD this time was that basically, he's number one because he almost never makes a mistake on court. (in previous times when I've seen him play, it's his explosiveness which really struck me).

some other impressions: blimey, mainlanders looooooooove cai yun, fu haifeng, lin dan and BCL. when FHF and CY won a mass of mainlanders rushed over for their autographs. It was a bit unseemly. but that's unfair. I'd definitely go all girly if I came face to face with BCL or peter gade or pi honghan too.... When LD won they all called out but LD didn't come over, he just waved.

At one point, when the chinese were playing the danish, the chinese were screaming out Go china! 中国队,加油!and the danes were chanting in their language, and then the chinese started chanting 中国队,加油!in the same tune as the danes. Later, the chinese were playing the koreans, and the koreans started up with their national chanting, and I heard one of the mainland chinese say, "damn, I wish I knew what the koreans were saying....". Later, the malaysian fans started calling out, 马来西亚,加油! (malaysia! jia you!). The mainland chinese started laughing (in good spirit).

the malaysian crowd was particularly loud when julia wong was playing against xu huaiwen (another good game). Actually, one time they were chanting Malaysia, buleh! the one guy calling out 'Mah-lay-she-ya!' to which every would yell 'buleh!!' changed it and said 'julia!' and everyone went 'buleh' 3 times, and he suddenly said quietly 'Julia! I love you!!' and the most of our side started laughing.

14. No one

No one Regular Member

sorry can't say much about the julia wong game because it was on the far side. It did strike me that xu huaiwen was getting pulled out of position a lot because she had to do a lot of desperate backhand clears--the kind where you just can't quite get behind the shuttle so you have to leap to the backhand and whip your arm quickly, but the result is you get a high backhand but it's usually half court.

15. cheeyf

cheeyf Regular Member

tat's nice
    thx 4 sharing
    i remember in mas open
    d malay cheerleader keep saying gao ling wo ai ni(i lov u)
    gao ling laugh
    did u watch wong/chin match?hw they play?did china improve a lot or mas many mistake?thr's no smash winner in g2 at all.weird.what happen to ceh?:(

16. No one

No one Regular Member

I wanted to say to more than a few of the ladies at the AE 'wo ai ni' but I kept my thoughts to myself :rolleyes:....I didn't watch the wong/chin match I'm afraid...I usually don't watch WD games with the chinese in them because the chinese women are too strong, it's a little dull. From memory, I had gotten up for a walk because the games going on at the time were a little boring at the time--there was an all british affair (kinda dull) and also another chinese WD team playing a french team (who looked like little school girls in their weird white skirts). then when I came back it was Bao CL and LD on court, so my attention was focused there.

sorry, I should shut up now but the memories are coming back:D the MD ikeda vs paaske-rasmussen match was terribly dull. the first half of the first game was BORING. 3 shots and it was over on both sides. And the japanese never really got their game together--I was so disappointed because last year ikeda was on fire.

one funny thing: about 30 mins before the chen jin gong weijie game started their names were called out (totally mispronounced) to report somewhere. then 5 mins later they both came out and were walking to the courts in their tracksuits and with bags--but they clearly were lost and weren't supposed to be out there, because they're supposed to come out with the referees and line judges. So they made a half lap of the stadium and were wandering about for a couple of minutes before being stopped by officials who then took them away. you think they'd be assigned translators or some guide so this sort of thing wouldn't happen!

17. phaarix

phaarix Regular Member

Hehe... the things you don't see on TV :D. Thanks for sharing your experiences!

18. Destricto_Ense

Student
    Haha, I saw the CJ and GWJ thing too, it was kinda funny to seem them wandering around looking a bit lost.

19. Destricto_Ense

Student
    Did anyone else notice that half of the time the score boxes at the end of the courts were incorrect? In Taufik's match the umpire told him that he was standing on the wrong side for serving, but Taufik said that his score was 6 when the box said 5! A lot of the time it was lagging by a couple of points, which is really weird because the screen at the end of the hall always had the right score.

20. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    i have said that having CJ, BCL, LD, GW jam together on one side of the ladder, it will be boring.