The worst habit possible?

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by bananakid, Nov 13, 2008.

1. newplayer

newplayer Regular Member

How advanced are we talking about? I'm a mid-upper D grade player, and I can see your point for people who are upper C grade players or better. However, in my experience, if I lift the shuttle to my opponent's back head corner near the baseline, there is no much they could do other than clearing or dropping -- even when they are B+ grade players ... or maybe they just couldn't be bothered to smash at D grader ...

Sure, I can always try to push, rush or drop the serve, but there is also the danger of being flick served. So, I tend to stay not too close to the net, but that makes pushing harder. The other danger is that if the push is not wide/high enough, the server could just kill the shuttle directly.

2. green.blood

green.blood Regular Member

Feather basher
    My habits are (as a social player):

a) lifts the shuttle when receiving a serve - This is not a problem in my opinion. We'll have enough time to go into defensive pos and receiving smashes are fun but hate dropshots though... :D

b) play net shots with my backhand - due to not-so-good backhand clears. Improving gradually I guess.

c) bad line judgement - This annoys me. Keep on receiving out shots from the opponents especially at the baseline. Must improve.

d) half court lifts or high net lift - Closely related to my not-so-good backhand :D

e) Stiff grip of the racquet when under pressure - This is when I produce 'stupid' shots.

f) Don't really care about winning - My goals are to improve my game and skills. Being able to learn/execute new tricks or skills are more important, for now....

g) Dislike mercy shots from opponents - Always the case against better players.

3. Temestocles

Temestocles Regular Member

Nothing
    At an high level ,the worst habit is clearly the one that comes teh first since it put into bad position at the biginning.

A high serve can be very usefull if the opponent is too near the net or if you played a set or more in line without doign it as it may supprise them. But, I think it may be the most risky shot as it allows a deadly jump smash within the first square (at the long serve line)