The worst habit possible?

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by bananakid, Nov 13, 2008.

1. Joe P

Joe P Regular Member

Software Developer / Electronics Engineering
    yeah, I agree with that, coz I tend to do that too! :D
    I am more of a singles player and thus I do enjoy social doubles games more because I do tend to go for the trick shots...

But that's social games, where the aim is to simply have fun and allow everyone to enjoy their game. So as long as everyone enjoy themselves, I don't mind tactical weakness etc, helps me to improve my game.

The only thing I hate would be unsportsmanlike behavior of any kind. Like cheating during line calls, not shaking hands as were mentioned before. Also, playing against people who think they are too good for their opposition, even in social matches. I tend to partner with the weaker players in my social group so that they can get good games too, but when we go up against these hotshots it often just ruins it for my partner because they get targeted and these 'hotshots' just don't know how to 'chill'.

2. kooshball

kooshball Regular Member

i'm not sure i agree. if your partner is almost the same level as you but with weake defensive or offensive skill, it should be obvious for the other team to focus fire on that person. that shouldn't be considered cheap or rude.

however, if you bring say a D level player into a A level game, that's just rude since you're wasting everyone else's time. those kind of games are kinda fun for good friends when you play mixed or something, but its not fun for anyone when the teams are totally unbalanced.

im assuming these "hot shots" you're talking about are not very close friends

#42 kooshball, Dec 1, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2008
  3. jk1980

jk1980 Regular Member

Well most of the points i've seen here are probably related to technique or style of play. I feel those things has to do with how good the players are. How experienced and sometimes simply how gifted they are. Some are probably so good that they'll know the basic offensive/defensive strategies automatically. Some probably are so dense that even when a fellow player tries to advise, they simply can't get it.

Well to me those are all forgivable. I'm more frustrated by smaller things that are easily avoidable. Has nothing to do with skill, experience or talent.

My pet peeves:

1. After a rally, trying to flick and get the shuttle with the racket. But some simply can't do it and keep on trying for a couple of tries before finally flicking it half-heartedly to the other player. Waste of time. I simply pick up the shuttle...probably good for stretching the back a bit.

2. After mishitting the birdie and it went high instead of across...goes on to kick the birdie with some acrobatics (or mishit the birdie again with the racket). Hey that's why we need to change shuttle ALL the time.

3. Too serious about the game until cannot even afford a smile throughout the match. Hey it's recreational after all...

4. Talk too much (example about dinner later) during the game and losing concentration.

4. jk1980

jk1980 Regular Member

If you mean targeted as in smashing right at their face. Then it's rude. if you mean targeted as in hitting a drop shot and forcing them to run...that's probably acceptable. Hey running more it's for their benefit.

5. tucked

tucked Regular Member

Application Engineer
    I think what kooshball meant is "isolation"

Once u identified a weak player... ALL shots just goes to him.
    Let the other stronger player stand there and watch.

6. krisss

krisss Regular Member

Eeewwww I hate false line calls. Yeah once or twice it is ok if its an accident. But come on , you can't lie all the time :s despise people who cheat. Even if they win , how can they feel like they have 'won' if you have cheated on a crucial point.

7. jk1980

jk1980 Regular Member

I think there are times when it's so close that it's really hard to tell if it's in/out. Then it probably falls on the closest player to make the call.

I find that at times, at the opposite court, the shuttle seems to land right on the baseline or even 1-2 inches in. But that's from the opposite court. A bystander at that time would tell us it's DEFINITELY out.

In some cases, even our opponents seemed surprised. So without proper line judge, it's really difficult to say.
    Sometimes they may not intentionally be cheating but it's really hard to tell.

8. phaarix

phaarix Regular Member

L, M, O and P. My partner does all of those...

L - I've been blamed for all sorts of things. "you realise that was out?" - well if you knew then thanks for calling it!

O - It's not just switching from plastics to feathers that apparently cause him to lose a match. It's - "I played table tennis yesterday" (which supposedly messes up all his badminton shots).

I could rant on (actually I did but I decided not to post the rest :D), but in all honesty I'm guilty of plenty of those points (not these 4 though) myself! Lifting when receiving serves, backhand shot when around the head possible etc :eek:.

Yeah exactly, and I reeeally hate calling a shot when there are no line judges as the amount of times I've got filthy looks, and the times you can clearly see they don't believe you... So sometimes I actually call their shot in on my side (if it's out) just to avoid any conflict :( (which I know is pathetic, but... well that's me!). In fact, that's one of my own bad habits :p.

#48 phaarix, Jan 5, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2009
  9. meteoflare

meteoflare Regular Member

String breaker
    I have the opposite problem where my body thinks my paddle is a foot longer than it already is...:confused: I guess the opposite could be true if your buddy is a hardcore tabletennis guy.

My worst habit is not keeping score.

I'm usually overly generous on line-calls so its frustrating when the opponents complain because they think their eyes 20 feet away is more accurate than mine 3 feet away.

10. phaarix

phaarix Regular Member

Yeah I can understand that :)! Thing is, no he doesn't play table tennis. It's just anytime he goes out and plays another sport, whether it be table tennis, tennis, squash... he seems to think it's a good excuse for losing a badminton match. Maybe if he played a lot more of those sports. But I really don't think one or two matches the previous day is going to do much long term damage >_>. Another good example is that one day we played with a balloon (in place of a shuttle) for five minutes or so :D. And yes, for a minute or so we'd mess up our timing. But he complained about it for the next week :p. He's just one of those people hehe.

11. extremenanopowe

extremenanopowe Regular Member

Chief Coach. The best and still active.
    www.extreme-power.org or xtremexn.blogspot.com
    Daring to net the shot even though opponent is waiting at the front. Asking for trouble. ;)

12. thejym

thejym Regular Member

I get annoyed when we play with a super slow birdy, and then halfway through the game we switch to a regular speed one and everyone says, "Wow this birdy is fast!" They just don't seem to understand that the birdy we used before it was amazingly slow (couldn't even lift to the baseline off a drop).

13. drop2it

drop2it Regular Member

Part-Time Student, Full-time Badminton Fanatic
    My major peeve is someone who can find fault in their partner, but is unable to find it in themselves. Arrogant is the word, I guess.

A minor one is players who refuse to adjust their style of play to a situation that demands flexibility, ie, continuing to play a power game against a team with great defense but no ability at the net.

14. jk1980

jk1980 Regular Member

The reason for that is that it's very easy to see your parner's mistakes but most (even professionals) won't be able to see their own flaws.
    That's what coaches are for (and video cameras)

15. eisen howard

eisen howard Regular Member

Electrical Engineer

You should change that attitude. Shaking hands shall be done before and after each game. High fiving during the game is a bonus.

16. weeyeh

weeyeh Regular Member

Or, I always like that my partner points out something that I am doing wrong. :D

17. newplayer

newplayer Regular Member

Why is that such a bad habit? I lift the shuttle 99% of the time when receiving a short serve. Most of my lifts are to the baseline, so there is not much danger for being smashed, and my partner and I would have plenty of time to get to good defensive positions.

I guess I'm just not up to you guys' standards as I generally have a lot of trouble rushing the short serve.

On the other hand, it can get a bit annoying when your partner keeps rushing the serve and messing up.

-NP

18. drop2it

drop2it Regular Member

Part-Time Student, Full-time Badminton Fanatic
    Not what I really meant...I mean the people who act like they are hot stuff, but make the same mistakes everyone else does. I just think that the game should retain some humility. That's why you shake hands after the game, to show that the "winners" still respect the "not-winners". BTW, I don't think it's a problem if you don't shake your partner's hand, as long as you show your appreciation for their partnership

19. Danstevens

Danstevens Regular Member

Student
    I agree that lifting the shuttle isn't a bad thing if that's the only way you can get it over but 9 times out of 10 a lift gets punished when you have advanced opponents and 9 times out of 10, there is an option besides lifting. Perhaps when you become more experienced, your technique will make you able to do more productive things with the return of serve. Until then, you're getting it back and that's better than trying to push it and finding the net half the time.

20. arturosauce

arturosauce Regular Member

i hate a lot of things.

i don't mind when seniors lift serves because in a lot of cases they have a legit reason as to why they can't stand closer to attack the serve (if they stood closer then a smart person would flick serve over them, forcing slow backwards movement). it's usually due to their old age or some kind of leg injury. i can understand why they would put their safety at the top of their list. same thing applies for the backhand shot as opposed to the around-the-head. although i'm young, i imagine it must be a pain to try and move fast in your 60's.

i don't mind lifting/clearing when not under pressure, 'cause in recreational play, it's more about fun than winning, so a lift here and there shouldn't hurt anyone (as long as it's not too shallow ;))