Knee Injuries

Discussion in 'Injuries' started by UkPlayer, May 13, 2002.

1. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

Anti-inflammatories such as ibuprofen are not performance enhancing, and therefore they will never be on the anti-doping drug lists.

The real danger with anti-inflammatories is that you can make the injury worse without realising it. Although these drugs are good for reducing inflammation, they do nothing for the underlying muscular causes of an injury. Therefore you can feel fine when actually you just injured yourself!

Taking anti-inflammatories is safe when combined with rest. I would always recommend ibuprofen (400mg 3 times daily with meals) for 36 hours following a sporting injury, but this must be combined with rest for that period at least. Ice is good too.

#41 Gollum, Oct 17, 2006
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2006
  2. morewood

morewood Regular Member

Don’t get me wrong I don’t pop pills all the time (well I do at the moment but that’s for a different issue) Its just when the pain becomes intolerable. I also wear a knee brace from time to time too.

The major way of reducing the pressure on my knees is for me to loose weight 7-10KG's wouldn’t kill me but then one of the other joys in my life would be spoilt (I like my food).

3. Pete LSD

Pete LSD Regular Member

Soul Searching
    Source: www.orthogen.com

Orthokine concept
    Orthokine – autologous medicine for inflammation[​IMG]Orthokin is an autologous treatment concept used by doctors for the treatment of arthritis and spinal disorders. This concept is based on the finding that the cytokine Interleukin-1 (IL-1) is a key factor in the destruction of cartilage and the development of osteoarthritis (OA). Therefore, therapy of OA using an IL-1 blocker such as Interleukin-1 Receptor Antagonist (IL-1Ra) appears logical. IL-1Ra is antiinflammatory, relieves pain and is chondroprotective. [​IMG]
    In the case of OA and spinal disorders we see a (sometimes low grade) inflammation of the painful site. IL-1 (red spheres) is the most prominent active agent in this process. It damages and destroys cells by occupation of it’s specific receptors.
    [​IMG]
    IL-1Ra, present in Orthokine serum, (blue spheres) inhibits inflammation. If present in excess with respect to IL-1, it competitively occupies the receptors in the affected site. Thereby IL-1 is unable to attatch to the receptors and elicit it’s proinflammatory, destructive and painful effects. The tissue and the cells are thereby protected from further destruction.
    [​IMG]
    Interleukin-1-Receptor Antagonist (blue spheres) has occupied the receptors. IL-1 is kept away and the inflammation process is blocked.
    Procedure
    The Orthokine procedure includes withdrawing blood from the patient with the specialized Orthokine syringe. The white blood cells contained in this blood begin immediately to produce IL-1Ra and other antiinflammatory and regenerative proteins. The concentration of the lead substance IL-1Ra increases up to 140 fold compared to normal basal levels. Without any further additives, the Orthokine serum is extracted, filtered and filled into ampoules. The subsequent therapy includes about 6 injections (given once or twice weekly).

4. UkPlayer

UkPlayer Regular Member

Academic
    Think I need some of that, my whole body is packing up...

5. Pete LSD

Pete LSD Regular Member

Soul Searching
    Will NHS pay for this treatment?

6. stumblingfeet

stumblingfeet Regular Member

Try taking some fish oil (omega-3 essential fatty acids). Look up their effects, it's a good natural way to affect your body's inflammatory responses.

7. stan boyd

stan boyd Regular Member

dental technician/stringer
    i got patella tendonitis thru tight shoes feels like shin splints but much higher up shin, just below kneecap, physio is helping, i do squats from a chair and stretch quads to lenghthen tendons also after streching post match ice the area, makes getting out of bed next morning easier

8. martin8768

martin8768 New Member

sudent
    a will ago when i had ankle problems, my doctor told me i was flat footed and blabla long story short got orthodics and im not flat footed anymore, but at the doctors he told me that over-pronation(flat feet) can cause knee problems and back pains, and after badminton i always have sore knee and back, im thinking of trying to wrap my knee like Kwun said. but what started my knee problem i think was badminton+flat feet, which is also bad, and off topic lol

9. youngman

youngman Regular Member

Product Manager (Core Networks)
    Since November last year(2008), my right knee started to swell after 3 hours of badminton (once per week). This happened twice, the doc prescribed me Voltaren and I gave it a rest. This week I started to play again (since the pain and swelling dissapeared). Within 2 hours after playing the knee began to swell again. By Monday it was almost 2.5 times the original size. The pain was unbearable, I could not bear any weight on the knee. I visited the doc and he immediately took a syringe and drained the synovial fluid etc (severe inflammation). A MRI is scheduled for this Saturday. The doc suspect that part of the meniscus could have detached and begins to interfere with knee movement. Let's see the MRI results, I'm afraid that arthroscopy is not far away :-(. Till then guess I'll play badminton on WII :)

10. youngman

youngman Regular Member

The MRI was done and the doctor has confirmed that the meniscus is torn. Arthroscopy is needed. This is going to be painful.; to stop playing badminton that is :-(.

11. CkcJsm

CkcJsm Regular Member

You guys should consult an athletic trainer too.

12. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    What exactly did the report say?

13. robc06

robc06 Regular Member

Editor
    HI

Ive had the same problem in 2007. I tore the right meniscus on the inside of the knee.

To let you know the meniscus is shaped like a horseshoe and is the cartlidge between the knee bone which stops it grinding.Now a tear on the meniscus is usually on the outer edges. You can either have a tear or it is completely seperated. A tear would mean it maybe be able to be sewn back together if its on the outer edge, only 10% of the meniscus has a good blood supply, which means the outer edge will heal. If its not on the edge then the Dr will have to cut, and remove the damaged meniscus. And in my case they drilled multiple holes in my knee cap, to allow cartlidge to grow down along my knee bone to stop the bones grinding and allow more blood to the meniscus. If its torn awa, they will cut it off and them reshape the rest of the meniscus to cover the part thats been removed.

You will be six weeks on crutches and expect another 3 months of physio twice a week. It took me 12 months before I was back playing badminton at the highest level I can acheive. My knee still gives us, every so often if I dont have proper footwork.

Make sure you do your physio exercises, also reserach what the surgery is, so you know what to expect and how to heal.

14. youngman

youngman Regular Member

Well, I'm going in next week to fix it. Report mentioned a longitudinal-horizontal and a oblique tear of the posterior horn of the internal meniscus median section . Chondromalacia patella (median and paramedian) developed due to Patellofemoral dysplasia :eek:.

The oblique tear isn't good news :(, the damaged part of the meniscus will be removed and the area smoothened out.

I twisted my knee when I was a teenager while playing football (soccer) 27 years ago. I never really recovered from that, couldn't bend the knee fully since then. An investigative arthroscopy was done in 1983, but nothing was found.

Now, with all the technological advances in medicine (compared to 27 years ago) , I may be lucky. I'll need to do some physiotherapy for that knee cap issue and also for the post-op. Perhaps I'll be able to bend the knee fully again ;).

15. youngman

youngman Regular Member

It's been 8 days since the scope. Massive repair works done. Got of the crutches yesterday, physio looming up in a couple of weeks.

The days are getting closer...the days to hear that "ting" "ting" "whootish" :)

16. mhigham

mhigham Regular Member

Analyst (Bank)
    Great to hear. Best wishes for a full and speedy recovery!

Mark

17. bradmyster

bradmyster Regular Member

Customer server network Support
    its not difficult to see why these injurys occur go to youtube, watch a badminton video and watch his knees. There is a constant amount of strain throughout the rally. Surely you can think logically for yourself :S

18. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    How about including organic apple cider vinegar into your diet and see if it helps your knees? It helps for me. I really don't know how or why it works. I suspect the acetic acid helps the body's absorption of minerals and other nutrients in a more efficient way from the foods you eat. It may be in my head but I also feel I now have more energy.

19. youngman

youngman Regular Member

Could give that a shot, any recipes involving organic apple cider vinegar :) ?

20. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    Actually any type of apple cider vinegar will do, although the organic and unfiltered type with a cloudy appearance and some bottom residue is best.
    Try to start off with 2 teaspoonful of apple cider vinegar in a glass of water and drink it with a straw before meal. Do this 3 times a day. In two to three days time you will notice your complexion and your nails taking on a more pinkish or reddish tint, signs that blood flow and nutrients to the more distant and harder to reach parts of your body are getting there. In between you can mix apple cider vinegar into a bottle of water to be used as fluids when you play badminton. You can also use it in your foods, salads, and chillies. You can safely consume about 20 teaspoonful or even more in a day, but 6 teaspoonfuls is the minimum.
    After one to two weeks you will find you get that extra spring in your legs; your fingers and hairs become stronger, and you actually have more energy.