String tension questions

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by Plutoburn, Dec 26, 2008.

1. Plutoburn

Plutoburn Regular Member

A little bit of a background:

Played badminton in high school team for 4 years, quit for 5-6 years, then started playing again a little bit less than a year ago.

Used to use flex racket (old cab20) at low tension (17-18lbs) in high school. A year ago, I use the same racket with same string and they broke after a few months, I had them restrung at 21 & 23 lbs and notice a significant gain in power.

I recently acquired an ARC10 that is strung at 25lbs, I've only used it for a few hours on court, so far there is nothing wrong with it. But I want to make sure I am not using tensions that are too high for me and risk injuries, so I am wondering what are the common signs that racket tension is too high for a player?

2. Terraglow

Terraglow Regular Member

Students
    if tension too high, you will feel pain in your wrist and shoulder.

but you used to play badminton, i dont think 25 lbs for arc10 will cause injury.
    me myself using it at 25 lbs. Arcsaber performs better with high tension, based on my opinion. i had my arcsaber10 strung at 22, after tension loosen, it feels numb.

3. Athelete1234

Athelete1234 Regular Member

Student
    If you don't feel pain/strain, you're okay. If you do, lower the tension.

4. zeushi

zeushi Regular Member

pain is gain, travis, lol~~~

5. epermana

epermana Regular Member

Do a thorough stretch before you play. If you don't, you may feel pain even if you are playing at your ideal tension. Try all your might and you can't clear to the base, then the tension is too high for you =)

6. weeyeh

weeyeh Regular Member

This is potentially misleading.

Badminton is a game of placement and control, not a race about who can clear with the hardest tension.

If you cannot clear comfortably, the tension is too high.

7. bluecraze07

bluecraze07 Regular Member

This is very true. If you cannot do all of your shots comfortably with your tension, it is too high. If all your shots are going out, then your tension may be too low.

8. phaaam

phaaam Regular Member

Well, if you go by these "common signs" I think you'd be lowering your tension way sooner than you should be. That is, you're probably not giving it a chance. I went from 22lbs with BG65 to 28lbs with BG65, of course my swing was kinda weird at first but then that magical "ting" sound when contact is made came when I increased my swing speed and wrist snap. Of course I was sore the day after but that's natural, your body's just getting used to it all. So give it a week or two to test it out, don't switch back and forth between racquets either. Practice your clears and make sure you're going from baseline to baseline. Listen for the ting :D

9. Danstevens

Danstevens Regular Member

Student
    I have to disagree with that. More of my power is transferred at high tensions as I can make the strings move (for lack of a better word). I have tried playing at lower tensions but hated it; there was very little power and no feel. I went back to my normal 28 Lbs as soon as I could.

10. Athelete1234

Athelete1234 Regular Member

Student
    For everybody there is a common range of playable tensions. You might find 28lbs is the best for you. 26/27, you may feel things are too bouncy. AKA, "more power". 30/31, you may feel things dont' bounce enough and you "feel" a bit more. AKA, "more control". However "high" and "low" tensions differ between people. 28lbs is high for me, but not for you, while 22lbs is low for me, but unplayable for you.

11. Plutoburn

Plutoburn Regular Member

So far so good... no signs of pain yet.

Wait... does that mean I am not gaining then?

12. weeyeh

weeyeh Regular Member

I sense that you are not disagreeing actually. If I read correctly, you are probably comfortable with all your shots at 28lbs.

Now, comfortable does not mean no effort needed but that you are comfortable with the required effort. If the player is straining even a little to push a full base in practice/warm-up, if movement pressure is added, the shots will start to fall short of the baseline. The typical reaction will be to swing even harder which subjects the player to over-straining the shoulder.

It follows that if you are comfortable with very high tensions with the technique to match, there is no reason to use a lower tension at all.

This goes along with Athelete1234's above recommendation and BC forumer's general agreed process of finding the "correct" string tension.

13. weeyeh

weeyeh Regular Member

Hmm.. Sounds like you have been using a tension that has been too low all the time without realising it. Yet another example of why one should not skim on experimenting for the optimal tension.

14. zeushi

zeushi Regular Member

nah, im sure you are, im just being emo. :D

15. Plutoburn

Plutoburn Regular Member

Since my string tension has change quite a bit lately, I am interested to know what the general agreed process of finding the "correct" tension is.

Emo is good. In fact... I wish my lawn is emo.

16. weeyeh

weeyeh Regular Member

"A short story about string tension" in the Strings Forum.

17. Plutoburn

Plutoburn Regular Member