contacting shuttle feathers

Discussion in 'Rules / Tournament Regulation / Officiating' started by DivingBirdie, May 19, 2007.

1. DivingBirdie

DivingBirdie Regular Member

student
    Is it against the rules to make initial contact with the feathers of a shuttle instead of its cork? I know that it's not allowed in service but is it allowed when already in play? Say, in the case of a brush net shot.Because i realised today a lot of my brush net shots hit the shuttle everywhere:eek:

#1 DivingBirdie, May 19, 2007
    Last edited: May 19, 2007
  2. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    when in play, any contact point is legal.

3. DivingBirdie

DivingBirdie Regular Member

student
    thanks for the clarification :)

4. SystemicAnomaly

SystemicAnomaly Regular Member

pre-Occupied
    Altho' it is often difficult to detect, high level players frequently will contact the tips of the feathers first when slicing the shuttle. The manner in which this is done, it appears that contact with the feathers & the cork is nearly simultaneous.

5. at900_power

at900_power Regular Member

Nil
    hey so is it a fault to hit the cock and feather simultaneously during a serve?? cause I realise for a short underhand serve its quite difficult to serve it tight yet not hitting the cock and feather simultaneously.

6. Erik L.

Erik L. Regular Member

professor
    No, this is not a fault. When the initial contact between racket and shuttle is with the feathers, it is a fault. In case the initial contact between shuttle and racket is a sumultanious contact between racket and both cork and feathers this is not intended to bee a fault. However, this is practically impossible to detect and thereforem when in doubt, we always include the flight of the shuttle into our assessment of the situation.

7. at900_power

Nil
    what do you mean by include the flight of the shuttle into the assessment??

8. Erik L.

Erik L. Regular Member

professor
    This Law was originally intended to ban the so called "reverse spin service". With that service the shuttle tumbled rather than flew over the net and was almost impossible tio return. From that servcie the shuttle spinned anti-clockwise instead of clockwise as a shuttle normally does and this resulted in a very unnatural fight.
    In other words, this Law came in for a reason and that reason is to prevent the shuttle from spinning in an unnatural fashion. It is this unnatural flight that we look for in cases where it is not possible to determine the initial point of contact by sight only.
    In most cases we don't fault just because the initial point of contact is on the feathers, even if it can be seen clearly enough, but the way in which the shuttle flies over the net also forms a part of the decision making process whether to fault or not.

9. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    if i net spin a shuttle and contacted the feather first, the shuttle rotates, it is hard to not to contact the cork as i follow through (one motion) with my net shot. Would this double contact with the shuttle legal?

10. Athelete1234

Athelete1234 Regular Member

Student
    So long as it is within one stroke, I think it's okay.

11. at900_power

Nil

hey thanks for you help.. I think I get wad you mean by the reverse slice.. haha think my coach showed me once before.. thanks again..

12. oldfreeman

oldfreeman Regular Member

Editor and writer
    If I remember correctly, contacting the feathers is illegal. The feather rule came about as a result of the Sidek brothers using their S-serve. This put the players of the other countries at a disadvantage. Many started copying it until the IBF banned the service. Contact during play seems to be ok..only the serve. The wood shot was another..until Dr Onn Chong Teik lobbied for and successfully got the rule abolished. During our time the woodshot problem caused many a match to turn ugly (amongst us anyway).

13. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

You're almost correct. ;)

In order to prevent the S-serve, a rule was introduced requiring that the server must initially hit the cork (not the feathers).

After hitting the cork, the server may hit the feathers. This is perfectly legal and often occurs when playing a sliced serve.

Hitting the feathers and cork together (first contact) is also a fault. However, as Erik has explained, it's practically impossible to tell whether this has happened, and so the court officials take the flight of the shuttle into consideration.