Playing with glasses

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by ckaSVEN, Nov 23, 2008.

1. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

Having never played without glasses on, I can't say my game has ever suffered that I can tell. They've only fallen off once during play (and my opponents kindly played a let:eek:). The only hassle is the periodic cleaning of sweat off them.

Since shuttlecocks definitely should NOT be coming at you out of your peripheral vision, I don't think my glasses are very much of a handicap (as long as they stay on and intact:D).

2. Sealman

Sealman Regular Member

Racquet Collector
    when i play badminton i put on my nerdy plastic black frame :D

3. gkimann

gkimann Regular Member

I started playing badminton since 13. Wears specs all the way. Since I wear them when I was 9, they seem like a "second skin" to me so not affected by it when I play. Never put the band for the specs as mine never fall off. Only occasion sweat fall on glasses, no fogging though.

Personally I'm not comfortable with contacts so specs are more comfortable for me. Up to you to decide which makes you feel more comfortable and see better. Either specs or contacts. :)

4. Monster

Monster Regular Member

I wear glasses all the time except showering and sleeping and... **tut**

I have no major problems with glasses. Never tried contact lens. In fact, I feel more comfortable with glasses than lens that may dry up.

Yes, sometimes I feel the vision gap. Yes, I have to take my glasses off to wipe my sweaty face occasionally. Yes, they fog up but very rarely. Yes, I need my index finger to give the rim a little push to lift it back up when it slides down. Yes, it dropped off before to the court during a game.

My opinion? Of course, perfect vision is best. But with glasses, with what I said, I guess you'd figure out that specs is not the best thing to have on you during a game. But because most of all wear them all the time, it has become second nature and has adapted to wearing it in sports. I will not bother to try contact lens, didn't like it.

5. Sketchy

Sketchy Regular Member

Ski Tech
    Personally, I wear glasses just because I'm too squeamish for contacts. I've never really had much of a problem with them anyway though.

Anyone tried wearing those sports goggle things (the sort like Edgar Davids wears, not the sort you wear when you go skiing)? Only drawback with them is that you look a bit of a tool.

6. zdndz

zdndz Regular Member

in school

Yes I wear glasses over the day and in the badminton too. I can't play badminton with out my glasses. It doesn't bugging me wearing glasses in any way.

7. !¿Clue?!

!¿Clue?! Regular Member

Started playing with glasses(after 4 years w/o playing with them:p), and have no complaints thus far except for when i smash the glasses bob up and down, then back to the bridge of my nose:p
    And my glasses don't fog up due to the fact i don't sweat to much, since most of the doubles games aren't that so intense.

Can anybody explain what does vision gap mean?

8. demon85

demon85 Regular Member

Lab Technician
    Do you guys add anything to your glasses to prevent it from dropping off/ sliding down your nose bridge? Its kinda irritating sometimes

9. Script

Script Regular Member

I do. It doesn't fog up lol.

10. Gemcat

Gemcat Regular Member

Airport Employee
    I believe there was this rubber nose pad (not the ones with your glasses) that can hold your glasses onto your nosal bridge. I think using alcohol to wipe your glasses may prevent fogging...

11. illusionistpro

illusionistpro Regular Member

im the opposite of most of you, i never wear my glasses when i play. I always wear contacts. im 23 and ive worn glasses/contacts most of my life, and since i was about 12, ive worn soft contacts for all my sports, including competition level soccer. I cant play sports/run or barely work out wearing glasses, it feels un-natural, and i can definitly say there is a big difference for me and my vision when wearing glasses.

for those of you here who dont like contacts, are you all wearing soft contacts? hard contacts are reccomended to be kept off the sporting arena. And well for those who are getting infections...just gotta practice better sanitation. Ive worn contacts for at least 10 years and never had one infection.

12. saifiii

saifiii Regular Member

there's this specs i have been looking at in the shops. it has hook shaped legs and rubber nose band. i dont know whether they are simply goggles and not specs but i think they are all plastic with plastic lens which makes them light and are perfect. its winters so i dont sweat these days much. i will buy them for annual inter district competition

13. Hagane

Hagane Regular Member

Transport Consultant
    Unless you wear full glasses (ala safety glasses), there's a gap between the top of your glasses and where your eyes can look up.

If the shuttle goes just behind your head, you would have to bend your head back more than if you were wearing contacts (just to get your glasses into view).

Try it this way.
    Put your glasses normally on the bridge of your nose. Bend your neck up to look directly upwards.

If I was wearing contacts, you can get away with looking up, say 45 degrees.
    If I was wearing glasses, I would have to bend more, depending on the shape of your glasses. You effectively have a "gap" at the top. It doesn't happen often, but the worse off your prescription is, the more impact it plays on you.

I don't have that bad a vision, so I notice it, but doesn't impact much.

14. eddychan

eddychan Regular Member

retired
    I used to wear glasses to play (that was before contacts were affordable). You need to get a special elastic band to hold ur glasses in place. After switching to contacts, I was able to improve tracking of the shuttle, and this helped my game.

Once, during a doubles game, a guy wearing glasses had a racquet smashed into his face. The glass fragments were embedded into his eyeballs. It was a bloody sight as we rushed him to the hospital. Luckily, he recovered as non of the glass penetrated his cornea.

Strongly recommended for doubles players to use contacts.

15. Sharp

Sharp Regular Member

For medical reasons I have to wear hard contact lens or glasses, which can be a bind on a day to day basis, for instance the hard contacts are affected much more by dust etc.

But in badminton (and my other sports, mountain biking and skiing) I always wear the lens. I can't quite get the vision with the glasses that the lens give me, although this is probably to do with the condition I have, and generally find having nothing on my face more comfortable. I also run around a lot and the potential for glasses to leave my face is quite high! Don't feel a so comfortable with them tied on either.

16. badmad

badmad Regular Member

i use glasses and hv problem when i sweat much after long day of play. for that, i use head band. also, when i lunge sometimes, it falls off. it sucks. :(

17. ckaSVEN

ckaSVEN Regular Member

I finally got contacts and I think my playing is much better.

Does anyone wear actual badminton goggles/glasses?

18. khan09

khan09 Regular Member

i play with specs , its look to me normal AND i play , well i know , above a bit good

19. ryim_

ryim_ Regular Member

Capital Market Research
    My eyes aren't too bad so I don't need to play with glasses but I know it helps. Unfortunately, I sweat a lot so if I were to play with anything, it would have to be contacts.

20. rayzkie

rayzkie Regular Member

i wear specs when playing and , comfortable with it as it fit nicely.
    without it . i 'll definitely miss shot and slow in judgement..
    as long as u are used to it , u'll b havin no prblem at all. =)