NanoSpeed 9000x too head heavy—suggestions?

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by alphapeta, Dec 16, 2008.

1. alphapeta

alphapeta Regular Member

Designer/Typographer
    Hello;

I've been playing with my 9000X competitively for 6–8 months, and I find that although my smashes are excellent with it, the control and speed isn't as good as my 8000—too head heavy. I find my NS8000 doesn't have the solid feel of the 9000X, and I prefer the lighter 8000. So I'm looking for something possibly a few grams lighter than the 8000 (around 79–80), but with the solid feel of the 9000. I was looking at the Ashaway 79SQ and 79, but am not sure. I've Always played with Yonex (20 years) but am willing try some alternative rackets. Any suggestions please!!?

2. Smichz

Smichz Regular Member

Student,Tour guide,Marketer
    NS9000 is too head heavy?Are u sure it's genuine?NS series are supposed to have a light head..the lightest compared to ISO,CAB,TI,MP,ARC,AT..the balance point of them usually will be less than 280mm.Try measure the BP and tell us then..

3. Terraglow

Terraglow Regular Member

Students
    one weird description of ns9000x...

4. darkwingduck

darkwingduck Regular Member

Nothing
    maybe its 2U.

I've tested a 2UG3 ns9000s and it seemed a bit head heavy.

5. chongkiatz

chongkiatz Regular Member

i think it's not head heavy....should be feel more HEAVY over than head heavy

6. Wexed

Wexed Regular Member

Diagnostic Imaging
    maybe someone stuck lead tape to it while you weren't watching ^^

7. Gemcat

Gemcat Regular Member

Airport Employee
    Agree. Nanospeeds are never head-heavy. If they were, they wouldn't be called Nanospeed but would be Nanoslow. Even with the 2U version, it's the overall weight that's more, not just the frame.

Use Smichz's suggestion, do a BP check, then report to us again.

8. rice_demon

rice_demon Regular Member

i have a ns900s 2u.. im a beginner and i can swing it ok.. then i bought a at700 3u.. that feels WAAAY heavier

9. alphapeta

alphapeta Regular Member

Designer/Typographer
    Misinterpretation

Sorry, perhaps you all misunderstood me. I'm not saying the racket in itself is head-heavy, and no, it's not a clone! I've been playing for long enough to know this!! What I'm actually describing is my experience of it. If you've played with the 8000 for a few years, then start playing the 9000, there is a difference in the weight towards the head—yes it's supposed to be head heavy to enable offensive play. And yes, it is a very good racket, just not for me. Just because it is top of the range / X Y Z technology, doesn't mean that it is suited to everyone.

What I was actually asking for, is a recommendation for a racket which has good offensive play, like the NanoSpeed, perhaps a few grams lighter; 80 — 84??

There are a lot of Yonex supporters in this forum—there are other good comparative brands out there!

Thanks

10. Fengwei

Fengwei Regular Member

I'd recommend you to check out SOTX or maybe Karakal. You could have a look at the CP series of SOTX. Those are maybe a little heavier than what you're looking for, but the aeroshaped head makes it extremely fast and manageable. It's personally even faster than the Armortec 900 Technique :)

Or have a look at the huge range of SOTX Woven Series. Woven's are extremely durable, and are technically/play superb. Just don't bother with the Woven 4, 7 and 11. Those are sledgehammers (even or worse than the Armortec 700!)

At last, try the Karakal M-Tec 70 and 75. Those are definitely light and quite fast, and from what I heard Jerby report, pack a nice punch.

Good luck, and keep us informed :D

11. alphapeta

alphapeta Regular Member

Designer/Typographer
    Splendid — Thank you for the info. I'll make sure to check them out and get back to you. Pete

12. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

As soon as I saw this I thought of an AT900T in 4U, but a Karakal SL (70 or 80, but the numbers are deceptive and don't represent true weight) or Ashaway Superlight would be cheaper and are both worth a punt.

As far as SOTX are concerned, I second Fengwei's comments on the Wovens - I am a 7 user and it's VERY heavy. A CP6000 is probably closest to what you're after.

13. alphapeta

alphapeta Regular Member

Designer/Typographer
    Hello—

Well after a bit of research, I am split between the Karakal M-Tec 70/75 or the SOTX CP6000.

The problem I may have with the SOTX is the weight which is a little heavier than I wanted.

I would opt for the lighter racket as I have a fair amount of power and wouldn't need a head heavy racket …

14. Fengwei

Fengwei Regular Member

The CP6000 is extremely fast. I tested one piece (regards to Jerby) and seriously guessed it to be around the 70 grams! But it's true weight including string and towelgrip was almost 98 grams!

Apart from that, I think you're getting really close to the racket you're looking for. The M-Tec's are really good.

15. silentheart

silentheart Regular Member

Here are the issues.
    1) Yes, NS9K-x is head heavier then NS8K. So, alpha is just not as clear as he should.
    2) You are describing exactly the difference between NS8K and NS9K-x. NS8K has slim head and softer shaft. That will give you a whip like effect. You actually feel it is easier to generate power with NS8K if you are not a strong player. NS9K-x is not a user friendly racquet for a lot of people. That includes me.
    3) If you really want to stick with Yonex, I will suggest you DEMO a NS9K-s or may be ARC7.
    4) If not, SOTX has some good racquets.
    5) Why not just stick with NS8K?

16. alphapeta

alphapeta Regular Member

Designer/Typographer
    Hi; But—

'1) Yes, NS9K-x is head heavier then NS8K. So, alpha is just not as clear as he should.'

I have stated this, this is clear

'2) You are describing exactly the difference between NS8K and NS9K-x. NS8K has slim head and softer shaft. That will give you a whip like effect. You actually feel it is easier to generate power with NS8K if you are not a strong player. NS9K-x is not a user friendly racquet for a lot of people. That includes me.'

I am describing the differences in order to highlight the issue, yes.[/B]

'3) If you really want to stick with Yonex, I will suggest you DEMO a NS9K-s or may be ARC7.'

No, I don't really want to stick with Yonex. I think they are overpriced and I would like to try some other rackets which may be similar at slightly lower prices, I am willing to stray into unknown waters as it were.

'4) If not, SOTX has some good racquets.'

I have been forwarded in this direction, thank you.

'5) Why not just stick with NS8K?'

For the reason I gave, thanks.