Returning shots when the shuttle is behind you

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Destricto_Ense, Nov 21, 2008.

1. Destricto_Ense

Destricto_Ense Regular Member

Student
    I don't think that it's entirely unrealistic for me to wish to master this shot though, as I find that in other racquet sports (Tennis and Table Tennis) that my backhand is relatively better than that of most other people; I actually relish hitting backhand shots, rather than being forced into it. The same is true of Badminton. I just need a bit more practice.

2. viver

viver Regular Member

Well, you may need to find opportunities to watch top players in training sessions.

I have seen my coach doing it. A team mate of mine was able to send the shuttle diagonally landing close (maybe about 1m to 50cm) to the doubles baseline. I agree it is not easy, but also not impossible. Skills and hard work are needed though.

3. Shifty

Shifty Regular Member

Student
    you'll soon be taught otherwise. backhands in badminton differ significantly from backhands in tennis.

4. Sealman

Sealman Regular Member

Racquet Collector
    Oldhand you should have warned me before I played against him. It was a complete whitewash. :crying:

Yes I once stood behind the court when he was playing and was amazed when he executed that shot (like Taufik).

5. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

Even I can do that. :p But only with a relatively flat clear, not a high defensive clear. And only when the shuttle has not passed too far behind me.

And only on a good day, with a following wind, and a suitable planetary alignment. :D

#25 Gollum, Nov 23, 2008
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2008
  6. huynd

huynd Regular Member

Also depends on how the shuttle travels before you hit it. If it is travelling flat and fast sometime it's easier to pull a cross court clear, if your timing is right. If the shuttle falls almost vertically before you hit it, then it's hard to play a full cross court.

Still, I would rather have a combo of decent (i.e accurate and consistent) cross court slice with a 3/4 court length clear (both backhand), than to have a powerful backhand clear and an inconsistent backhand drop.

7. Destricto_Ense

Student
    The technique or the usage?

8. Oldhand

Oldhand Moderator

Broadcast Systems Integration
    Surprisingly, I ran into him today.
    My goodness, the guy can hit! ;)

9. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    In both, because tennis is more a 2-dimensional game whereas badminton is more 3-dimensional, not unlike the difference between a dog and a cat. A dog can only run around the ground whereas a cat can climb and jump as well, besides being able to run around. The technique is very different. In a badminton backhand clear when the shuttle has gone past you, you have to step back and have your back facing the net (parallel) to hit the shuttle above your head. In tennis a backhand is almost always a drive or volley hit from below head height, and your back is not facing the net. The hitting action is also different. A tennis backhand stroke in a badminton backhand clear gets you nowhere.
    The usage is also different. A badminton backhand shot can keep your opponent on tenterhooks because it can be hit or dropped to many spots and directions and at various heights in the air or over the net.

10. Oldhand

Oldhand Moderator

Broadcast Systems Integration
    Just to clarify:

Youtube alone has 3,170 climbing dogs.
    Those that jump are a lot more - 9,670
    For now, here's a climber and a jumper.

And, taneepak, it's time you owned a dog :p

11. Destricto_Ense

Student
    Haha, let's keep it serious guys :p

Thing is, regardless of the stroke's implementation, I actually enjoy hitting backhands. I don't think of it as a weak shot or something that I'd be concerned about being targeted on.
    Apart from backhand-clear-when-shuttle-is-past-me-and-near-the-ground shot!

12. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Similar thread here??..

http://www.badmintoncentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=58506??..:confused:

For a full backhand cross court clear from tramline to tramline example, this is the only other video (besides the ones already shown in the previous page) i can find that comes the closest; and yes, it's of Taufik's & unfortunately Boonsak had to be the "example" in the below clips:p:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=XQiYwtOhpLo
    around 2:01
    ..and of course, an example of this; no proof Taufik was grinning though:p:
    http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=XQiYwtOhpLo
    around 1:07
    ;)

#32 ctjcad, Nov 23, 2008
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2008
  13. Shifty

Shifty Regular Member

Student
    mostly the usage. you'll soon encounter someone who will ruthlessly attack your backhand shots. backhands are nice to play yes, but they simply don't offer the same shots that forehand does. lets face it, most of us will have a forehand smash that is far more powerful than our backhand. if you insist on playing backhand, you are removing one of your most vital attacking tools. further more, you have your back facing the opponent, meaning it is much harder to tell where he is and what he's doing. you have to turn around before moving forwards, whereas playing around the head allows you to begin your forward movement exactly as you hit the shuttle.

sure, against your average club player, backhands are fine. in fact, that's where i generally practise my backhands because i'm less likely to be punished. but you should have a clear conscience about when become serious. you can practise the shot all you want, but when it comes down to the match that matters, backhands should be avoided.

14. Athelete1234

Athelete1234 Regular Member

Student
  15. Joe P

Joe P Regular Member

Software Developer / Electronics Engineering
    I think having confidence in your backhand allow you to relax more and move more naturally across the court. So it's not so much that they should be avoided, but rather only used when you have to. But it can be a very good weapon if your backhand is quite strong - and there is no better example than Taufik of course.

By the way, having a strong backhand is mostly to do with timing, and not necessarily strength. Most people (and I'm not referring to beginners here) just mistimes their hit slightly, therefore not transferring their full power into the shot.

16. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    If you only play backhand when the shuttle is either in front or to your side, this is the easiest of backhand shots to play. To really test if you have a decent backhand, you must be able to play it when the shuttle is gone past you. If you cannot do this then you really do not have a backhand.

17. viver

viver Regular Member

Are you talking about beach badminton? :p:D

18. stumblingfeet

stumblingfeet Regular Member

I agree with Gollum that many players have unrealistic expectations for their deep backhand shots. What you can do is get these players to try the equivalent shot on their forehands. Many can't, and those can typically play it as a very aggresive attack clear, which is at risk for interception. If that position is so poor in the deep forehand corner, it is pretty unreasonable to expect even better shots from the deep backhand.

19. venkatesh

venkatesh Regular Member

editor
  20. chrisnchips

chrisnchips Regular Member

Student
    like many other ppl said

-check your grip for correct grip
    -work on your speed... proper foot work to position yourself
    -I say strengthening your wrist muscles always help with hard-to-get shots
    if you do weight lifting or resistance work to strengthen your muscles try to make it feel identical to the stroke you use. Sometimes unorthodox shots are called for :-D