will it be too late to start playing at this age?

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by danielle7, Nov 19, 2008.

1. danielle7

danielle7 Regular Member

student
    would it be too late to start playing badminton at the age 21 if i want to become just an average player?

2. DivingBirdie

DivingBirdie Regular Member

student
    i always say...interest beats anything. Turning pro might not be realistic but there is only benefits in training/learning the proper way to play. You reduce chances of injury, get fitter, and most importantly you get to enjoy the sport you love. If i were 50 i'd still start badminton because i love to play

another thread
    http://www.badmintoncentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=59012

3. Danstevens

Danstevens Regular Member

Student
    Yeah, if you only want to be average and not beat the world, you'll be fine. Anyone of any age can play badminton; at the halls I play at, there are quite a few people who are fairly good and 50+ so at 21, you should be fine.

4. Avatar

Smash down all clears!
    one of our members is approaching to 70, we even have 2 members who are 70 yrs old. one of the 70 yr old member is still working. he plays 3 times a week and love the game to death. he only start playing when he was 60 yrs old. obviously he is an intermediate player, but nothing is too late if you have the right mentality and expectation out of your game.

5. Potato

Potato Regular Member

Student
    If you want to be better than average that's possible too. From where I'm from, I've seen people who started around 18-22 and they've become great players. This one person I know picked up a racket for the first time when he was 18. He is now in his mid 20s and plays B/A level from my area. I know A, B, C, D levels varies in countries. But it's still quite an accomplishment. In previous tournaments he's played, he has beaten several national players from my country. These national players started playing since they were around 8 years old too. So it's definitely possible to become an average player, and possibly even better. It really depends on how much time you devote to badminton.

6. Elixau

Elixau Regular Member

Nope. It's never too late.

7. Joseph

Joseph Regular Member

What's your definition of an average player?

I suggest you take classes to learn correct form and footwork before you start developing bad habits. Then from there, take what you learned and put it to practice by playing games.

8. smashalot123

smashalot123 New Member

I'm in my 40's and still playing...it's the attitude and love of game that should keep you going.:)

9. weeyeh

weeyeh Regular Member

I started playing when I was around 10 and got pretty okay with the game as I became stronger. Unfortunately, I also picked up a lot of bad habits along the way. As I return to the game when I was 30, I noticed that I am especially prone to injury -- destroyed my right ankle along the way and had my racket shoulder fall out. I am now working to correct all those techniques and unlearn 20 years of bad habit.

You can still get really good if you start much later (and 21 is not late at all) but I cannot stress enough about proper techniques. The danger of starting at 21 is that you have fully developed your strength and might use that to force the power into your stroke and movement. That will not sustain.

In short, not late at all at 21 but do keep checking on your techniques and get coaching if possible.

10. phandrew

phandrew Regular Member

Racquet breaker
    You can start at 100 if you want to play badminton. You can start at any age you want if you want to play casually.

11. hsound

hsound Regular Member

Hi,
    I'm 39 years old and I started 3 months ago ! I really fell in love with this sport, so at 21 there should be no problem at all.

12. danielle7

danielle7 Regular Member

student
    thanks for all the replies. hopefully as some of you said i can become an average player with coaching. actually i just want to join some badminton groups playing nearby my house. they only accept average player. i really like this game, want to continue playing till maybe the end of my life, till i cannot lift the racquet.

13. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

I would guess that, within five years, you could reach county/regional standard. Of course, that would be a pretty intensive five years of badminton. ;)

More realistically, you could go from complete beginner to average within a very short space of time (say, less than a year), if you get some coaching and organise some practice sessions. :)

But you need to play the game too. Look for groups that accept complete beginners.

14. giant

giant Regular Member

student
    how many years you learn to play before can be a really average player?

15. badwally

badwally Regular Member

Computer Programmer
    Its never too late like everyone has commented. I would suggest you use this forum to meet similar like minded people to play with. I am truly amaze to see this forum use to organise games all over the world. :eek:
    The more you play the better you will get. I have never had any formal training but just played alot of badminton over 30 years. Had not pickup any very bad habits on the way so I am a bit lucky on that score. I suggest you learn from others while you play or like someone suggested go for some coaching. Should not be a problem where you live. Live long and prosper and may the force be with you....

16. phandrew

phandrew Regular Member

Racquet breaker
    It can range from a few months to years. It really depends how determined you are.

17. Ruffle

Ruffle Regular Member

Badminton, ie. retired. I think I once had somethi
    Age has nothing to do with it. It's about your expectations.

Do you want to be an average player? OK, if you do, what do you mean by that?

Average is easily measured, but you have to measure it within a specific context.

So if you want to be an average National player, and you manage to get there, you'll get picked for the Olympics in lean times, and ignored in times where there are lots of better (above the National team average) players available to the pool.

And if you want to be an average player in your Club, that's easy. You can just choose a Club where you are average, so that you find yourself in the winning side as often as not. But you can also choose a Club where you are the tops, winning nearly every game, and one where you are just the pits, with defeat after defeat. And this is without any change in your abilities. All of these Clubs exist, no matter how skillful a player you are.

So you really need to define, explicitly, exactly what you want.

18. Shifty

Shifty Regular Member

Student
    not only does it depend on determination, but where you are. i've played for 4 years, and i'm probably slightly above average (in competitive circles). if i go to china or malaysia, even in social circles, i'll be well below average.

if you want to play for fun, there's never an age limit.

19. danielle7

danielle7 Regular Member

student
    hi ruffle,

i just want to become an average player in an average community club. winning equals to or less than losing (actually winning is not important to me). i want to learn all the basic skills as a badminton player. it takes time and i ll work hard for it.