Foot Stamping (Stomping?)

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by wilfredlgf, Aug 13, 2003.

1. Neil Nicholls

Neil Nicholls Regular Member

but it's great in Wrestling combined with the forearm upper cut :D

2. youngman

youngman Regular Member

Product Manager (Core Networks)
    Foot stomping is bad for your knees.
    This is not good for the meniscus, ligaments etc. Proper footwork is a must (i.e. lunge instead)
    The knees will swell after after a few hours peaking after 24 hours. A tight feeling is felt at the joint.It will begin to subside after 48 hours gradually. Rest is the only way to recover.
    Perhaps this is not seen for young people, but for those who are above 40 this can happen

3. huynd

huynd Regular Member

Do anyone here practice karate :)
    In Karate the forward move and punch are excecuted with the punch reaching the target at the sametime with the forward food reaching the floor (it's called oizuki if memory serves me right). My instructer called it good timing. Well, at least that what I was taught when I practiced Karate. It would help produce more impact

When I started badminton I just used the same principle, for almost every forehand stroke (including the clear), especially for forehand lift and drive. Infact it was my golden rule, as I drew an analogy between martial art and badminton. I'm not sure since when I gradually moved away from this 'sync'. Now my timing is always either the foot will stamp first, or the racket hits the shuttle first. For pure power I think the sync between foot stamping and stroke is good, but it is not good for deception. The only exception is the forehand clear in deep forehand corner when the shuttle is low.

#23 huynd, Nov 12, 2008
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2008
  4. Badmintan

Badmintan Regular Member

Stomping

Does stomping help in weight transfer? especially driving or clearing using the backhand. :confused:

I'm paranoid I didn't get enough weight transfer, the stomping sound soothe my paranoia of not getting enough supination of my wrist for backcourt backhands.

5. ksrboi

ksrboi Regular Member

Lawyer
    stomping

Candra wijaya stomps and lunges :)

6. wristworks

wristworks Regular Member

I don't think there's very much doubt as to whether or not it's "healthy" for your joints. It's not. Now, that's not to say you'll end up destroying your ankles/knees if you stomp; it's just not good for you - the extent to which this damage manifests itself will, of course, vary from person to person.

The reason why people stomp is because it helps with coordination. And bear in mind that so much of badminton is about different body parts moving together that you can almost say that coordination = power. But you can generate the same amount of power without stomping if you do a proper weight transfer (which is not something every player can do). It's really about generating snap in your wrist (I speak primarily of backhand driving/backhand clearing because that's where most people tend to stomp). In that movement, you have to "coil" up your upper body, your fingers, and your wrist all at the same time and coordinate yourself to snap all 3 body parts together. If you do the movement properly, you'll have a lot of momentum carrying you forward in a very short amount of time and it's *easier* to just stomp your foot since the rest of your body is coordinated in that same motion anyway.

Whoever said that you can get the same power without stomping is correct; it's just harder and takes more practice to prevent your foot from stomping when your chest/arm/wrist/fingers are, for all intents and purposes, doing the same thing.

7. nicholasl

nicholasl Regular Member

Government Sector
    I guess its a physcological effect rather than increase strength?

Or maybe its just lazy foot that's doing all the work? hehz.

8. alphazed1

alphazed1 Regular Member

software engineer
    well said mate... i practise muay thai... when one executes a punch / elbow shot we stomp the foot at the same time as the hit...this helps in stabilization as well as imparts power to the hit too...

in badminton when u stomp the foot the power transmitted to the foot also helps in grounding the foot ... no slippage,... it kills the momentum of the leap thus helping a player to stop instantly / freeze in the place and be ready for the next shot... of course it does fool the opponent at times thinking it mite well be a place whereas it may well be a drop shot alone... :p:p

9. drop2it

drop2it Regular Member

Part-Time Student, Full-time Badminton Fanatic
    I see a few people at my club who stomp when making net drop shots, as a form of deception. They will come in very hard to the net, make exaggerated arm movements, and stomp the floor with their racket foot at the exact moment of contact. I have never found this to be effective either on the delivering side or on the recieving side, but there must be some reason for them to be doing this?