US Open, switching racquet while rally still going...

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by RedDog, Sep 16, 2003.

1. RedDog

RedDog Regular Member

Graphic Designer
    I went to OCBC and watched the US Open Semi-final last Friday.

The most exciting game was The MD of Tony Gunawon & Bob Malaythong VS. the #1 seed Tadashi Ohtsuka & Keita Masuda from JP.

During the 2nd game, in the middle of a long rally, Tony had suddenly snaped his string after returning a drop from the JP team. The opponent lift Tony's drop back up, and while Bob was returning the clear, Tony suddenly jumped out of the court, switched his racquet to a new one in a fast speed, and came right back to the rally. It was amazing!! They won that point, and everone went wild.

After they won the point, Tony took another new racquet out of the bag, and lay it right beside the bag where he can reach it. I finally realize there's a real good reason for doing that. Tony always keep a fresh racquet out of the bag where he can reach it everytime he starts a game, so he never has to fish into his bag and waste time.

Tony and Bob have won the match and again won the fanl game on the fallowing day. They still hold their title of #1MD in the US Open.

2. Tezta.com

Tezta.com Regular Member

I stay at home as much as possible
    Tony also did that once again in the finals.

3. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Choong Tan Fook did it in a Korean Open 1999 q/f. When he broke his string and ran off to change racquet. Cheah Soon Kit (his partner) played a slow drop.

I think I also seen Chan CM or Chew CE do it more recently but dementia is setting in and cannot remember the exact details of the match..

wonder what strings Tony G was using

4. Winex West Can

Winex West Can Regular Member

Hi Tech
    How is that interpreted?

Rule 16.5.2 states

"Except during the five-minute interval described in Law 16.2, no player shall leave the court during a match without the umpire's permission. "

so, it is considered a violation of the rules to leave the court to switch racquets in the middle of the game (much least a rally) w/o the umpire's permission.

Hmm...wondered if it could be considered a distraction to the opponents too (wondering where Tony was going after hitting that return) :D

5. Tezta.com

Tezta.com Regular Member

I stay at home as much as possible
    for tony to break 2 sets of strings in 2 days i would have to guess he used BG66.

6. Californian

Californian Regular Member

What about a player who, in rushing to return a shot, is unable to stop his momentum and runs off the court?

I notice that badminton rules don't take into account all the possibilities.

Maybe this player got permission in advance, just in case, since he was prepared for it to happen.

7. bigredlemon

bigredlemon Regular Member

well, you aren't allowed to leave the court between rallies either so people put their stuff by the court... maybe something like this happened--that is he didn't go that far off the court?

8. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    as i read the law 16.2, i think the rule imply where players should be in between break(s). However, during a game, it seem logical players are allowed to get towels, water bottle, racket, etc.

9. jump_smash

jump_smash Regular Member

IT
    Still need umpires permission - usually given to server, because reciever might try to break rhythm. This is upto umpire.

10. Dzgdz

Dzgdz Regular Member

finance
    it is ok,

player can have a spare racket next to the court to change it even during the rally without umpire's permission - it is very common during MD and sometimes during MS,

if the player wants to do it when the rally is finished - he/she must ask umpire (as well as when he/she is going to drink, towel, etc.)

regards,

dzgdz

11. kineda

kineda Regular Member

Founder Kineda.com
  12. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    i mean how can they stop me if i grab a drink or remove a thrown object into the court during a rally the same way one could switch rackets? I know it's doesn't sound sensible but rules should be consistent. If i can step out of court to switch racket during play, i should be able to do other badminton related actions during a play as long as i'm not causing intentional distraction to my opponent.

#12 cooler, Sep 18, 2003
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2003
  13. jump_smash

jump_smash Regular Member

IT
    Yes, I understand - can't stop you - but they can give you a yellow, red or black card!

14. unregistered

unregistered Regular Member

well

thats the second time ive saw something like that. the 1st was during the japan open wjere a korean pair lady switched rackets which burst... she wasnt scolded after that.... well the opponent saw that and kept atatcking still she couldnt handle it.

15. Dzgdz

Dzgdz Regular Member

finance
    If I understand well you want to do various things during the rally :D. In such a case the umpire shouldn't worn you (show cards - as jump_smash mentioned) but let to do so.

I don't think it will help you to drink or towel during the rally...

And for grabbing and throwing out an object entering the court - the umpire should stop the rally and announce a let as soon as he/she can notice it.

regards

dzgdz

16. Aotis

Aotis Regular Member

Student
    What are you guys talking about, from the video clip at 16 feathers, Tony Gunawan never left the court. He only had one feet off the court. I don't think that's illegal.

17. david14700

david14700 Regular Member

IBF rule

'Leaving the court' means actually leaving the playing area, i.e. to go to the toilet or to get some treatment from a physio in the dressing room.

It doesn't mean the precise 44x20 area of the court only. Otherwise, as someone else said, you'd be committing an offence everytime your feet went beyond the baseline.