Singles or Doubles....

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Swingbadabada, Oct 17, 2008.

1. Swingbadabada

Swingbadabada Regular Member

Student
    I had singles training yesterday and i was on the way to Doubles training this evening when i thought....
    is it easier to make it profesionally at singles or doubles, imo the tactics are harder for doubles then singles but singles players seem more skillful.
    Any insight?

2. hhwoot

hhwoot Regular Member

Graduate Student
    Have to say that it's easier to make it for doubles. Twice the number of people covering ~1.2 times the area as singles means less fitness is needed. A singles player need the combination of good arsenal of shots and top level physical condition. A doubles player is able to ease off a bit on the fitness side.

A shorter way of saying that is: There are chubby pros in doubles. That is all...:p

3. Swingbadabada

Swingbadabada Regular Member

Student
    Oh ty, lol i s'pose thinking abojut it logically :p

4. anek999

anek999 Regular Member

To me, I enjoy playing Doubles because it's a lot easier for me to control the steps on my area. Singles play really needs stepping skill to go along with the skill of hand.
    Moreover , Doubles play needs agility, this makes the game really fun.

5. venkatesh

venkatesh Regular Member

editor
    Doubles involves more speed. Singles involves more stamina. I think. It's harder to play singles, because after one set, I'm already exhausted, thus, no chance of winning the second and third set. Doubles is more fun to play ... because if you don't win, you can always blame your partner :D

6. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    hmm...my single sucks...court coverage not tat good...so...my double very good...^^...hmm...anyhow...i think that double is more better to play...more rally...more speed and more tactic...single...erm....i didnt find the fun in it yet...

7. Danstevens

Danstevens Regular Member

Student
    I personally prefer singles but doubles is easier (if you have a good partner). I would say that professional doubles is easier to get in to.

8. Zealous

Zealous Regular Member

I like singles but I like most of us don't have the stamina. haiz...:crying:

9. jwu42

jwu42 Regular Member

Histotech
    Prefer singles over doubles in general as how well you do is solely based on your performance. Doubles can be more fun only if you have a good partner/opponent match up.

10. Gemcat

Gemcat Regular Member

Airport Employee
    Personally like singles better than doubles because I cannot feel the hype in doubles. I've got almost infinite stamina and can sustain a maximum of 3 games of singles.

11. hhwoot

hhwoot Regular Member

Graduate Student
    I don't think infinite means what you think it means...:D

12. CantSmashThis

CantSmashThis Regular Member

I prefer singles over doubles. I don't like the fact of relying on someone else too much. Singles it's just you and your opponent. I think it's harder to find an opening and score a point as for doubles it's more of a break through the defense to score. But for doubles, you only need just great control at the front and fast speed for net kills, or just powering through from the back, and having a good partner. For singles, you have to be built all-around. Deception and skills would make you better off as a singles player. Also hard to cover the court by yourself at times.

13. weeyeh

weeyeh Regular Member

Mathematically,

almost infinite is still infinite...:D:D

14. Dzgdz

Dzgdz Regular Member

finance
    I play both, but I prefer singles because:

1. Doubles relies on the attacking play rather, you need to have more penetrating shots then their defense. In singles more relies on your tactic and out-maneuvering the opponent.
    2. Thanks to the good tactic you may win in singles over better technical player. In doubles the power is more decisive.
    3. Often the only applicable tactic in doubles is to identify a weaker player (usually simple if this is the case) and then keep on pressuring him/her. Whereas in singles I use various different tactics depending on the opponent style. For example for the typical doubles player playing singles it is better to play high clear and net shots to make him run. After some running you just start the attack and win the rally.
    4. To have a satisfactory performance in doubles you need to have one reliable partner. You need to train with him and face his ups and down. In singles everything is in you hands.
    5. Last but not leas - I am better in singles

15. staples

staples Regular Member

I would say doubles is easier.

More pro players who have undergone any switching usually went from singles to doubles.

Look at it this way, doubles winners receive a payout of about half of a singles winner. Then you have to split the winnings between your partner too.
    There has to be a reason for this. :)

16. hhwoot

hhwoot Regular Member

Graduate Student
    That's not a good argument for doubles being easier. There is less payout for doubles because singles players are more popular with the fans. This is the same as in tennis, where singles gets more money than doubles, doubles gets more money than mixed doubles.

Besides, if you equate: "less money" = "easier to play", then you're saying that badminton require so much less skill than tennis...:(

17. 450450

450450 Regular Member

I prefer singles.. I enjoy it a lot more then doubles. You rely on yourself and don't have to worry about your partner. You get a really good work out..

18. ryim_

ryim_ Regular Member

Capital Market Research
    Money has nothing to do with this. Like other members have said, tennis has a much bigger payout than badminton...so does that mean its easier? I think that if anything, doubles badminton is even harder than singles because there are two people and you have to work together as a team.

19. davidluu

davidluu New Member

student
    i prefer singles, but even tho i am better in doubles its only because it's only you and the opponent. no one to blame for the mistakes made and such and you don't have to rely on anyone else. its just for me that i trust myself more than having someone play with me. doubles its all about agility and offense.
    i believe that singles is more of a mind game and mental thing. and plus singles is more fun to watch imo XD . cus in doubles you barely seee lots of movement unless its a pro

20. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    singles is like a strategy game, like chess on court.
    doubles is like shoot them up video game, reflexes and shoot alot LOL