How do you guys feel or do when people insult your sport?

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by CkcJsm, Oct 20, 2008.

1. CkcJsm

CkcJsm Regular Member

How do you guys feel or do when people insult your sport?
    When they say it is easy, gay, sissy, that they can beat you, and wtf? This is a Olympic sport. How do you guys react to this?

2. micae

micae Regular Member

Student
    I usually stay calm. Point the fact it's an olympic sport. when they say it's easy, I nod and joke that ping pong is even easier! Hey, at least we move on the court.
    When they say they can beat me, I agree with them because "if it's for sissies, i am no match for your skills" and conclude with a little naughty wink. By then, if i dont get punched in the face or get involved in a brawl, i laugh in their face and leave, while checking my back in case they grab a chair to hit me in the neck!

But most of the time, i try to ignore those people... Or i like to tell them that they play football because they like to stuff their face in another man's ass...

edit : by football, i mean american football...

Humor is they key there. "Don't feed the trolls, and don't feed the haters!"

3. bad_fanatic

bad_fanatic Regular Member

Day dream about being a Pro Badminton Player
    I say, "If you think so, it's so. But why don't you come play against me one of these day and see for yourself."

I don't really take it to the heart, because everyone is entitled to their own opinion, and if they choose to opinionated without any experience then they're the idiotic ones.

4. 16FeathRPassioN

16FeathRPassioN Regular Member

Student
    The 1st thought comes into my mind is to slap right over that guy's face , but since being wild shows ur mental softness not the physical strongness ,
    Once a frnd of mine said something like that, at the very moment i challenged him to come and play with me just for 5 minutes in the half court without letting the shuttle to drop, and in 2 minutes he was out of his breathe and next day he got fever which ended in days.....lolz

5. twobeer

twobeer Regular Member

computer
    No need to be upset.. Just laughing him of, shows that you KNOW you are right, and are not offended by what he "assumes" without knowledge :) ..

confidence.. shows...

As mentioned erlier.. the simplest thing is just to smile, and ask him to play a game against you.. Maybe even give him a "safe" bet.. If you can get 5 points in one game I will buy you dinner :) to give him/her some extra incentive :) . Or be creative.. offer to buy him lunch for a week if he can win, or make you more exhausted than him in a game :)

/Twobeer

6. kinoko

kinoko Regular Member

step back!!! we smash cocks!!!

7. Gemcat

Gemcat Regular Member

Airport Employee
    LOL....XD

Well, if they think that an Olympic sport is sissy, easy and stuff... I will try whoever that is for a game. I would even dare him to say that Taekwondo is easier and we can have a Free-Sparring match right on the street without armour and guards. Or we can have a match of Ping-Pong and see how that goes. I know at least 3 Olympic sports and whoever that maybe can choose~;)

8. george@chongwei

george@chongwei Regular Member

just punch the person`s face:p
    just joking...
    just ignore it...:)

9. jhirata

jhirata Regular Member

Yop, Agree with Twobeer. I just laugh at them.. or get my badminton-friends, and laugh with them, at those haters.

My little research has shown that ALL high-grade badminton players at my school are like.. top-scholars. Many of the basketballers and rugby players, they fail their foundation-maths exams. :D..

10. micae

micae Regular Member

Student
    does that mean we are....geeks??? :eek:
    jiharta, don't give them more ammo to shoot at us, they have plenty as it is ;)

11. jhirata

jhirata Regular Member

Nope, we have a social life too :p..

Lin Dan's not a geek is he ?

12. venkatesh

venkatesh Regular Member

editor
    LOL! I guess he got what he deserved.

Honestly, it kinda bothers me when people think that badminton is not a "real" sport. Those who haven't played a "real game" see this sport as only recreational. Others even think that it is just a backyard game. In our country, badminton was tagged as "laro ng mga katulong" (game for the housekeepers), because in the afternoon, the usual time when housekeepers take a break from household chores, they are usually seen on the streets playing badminton.

If ever there's a remark like this, I don't smile, because I want to show them that I'm serious about this sport and that this sport is also serious. I don't get pissed off either because that just goes to show that I'm guilty of their accusations. Instead, I challenge them and explain to them that it's not as easy as it looks like. And then, if they accept my challenge, I give them a hard time on court. Once I have proven my point, I ask them again if badminton is still the way what they think it is. Well, they usually retract what they said.

#12 venkatesh, Oct 21, 2008
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2008
  13. venkatesh

venkatesh Regular Member

editor
    I think what he's trying to say is that badminton players are intelligent people. Being geek is a different thing. :)
    Actually, I'd rather be called a geek than dumb and stupid.

#13 venkatesh, Oct 22, 2008
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2008
  14. jhirata

jhirata Regular Member

My goodness, I just realised that you spelled my name incorrectly. It's not jiharta or 'jihad' as some people call it ( no offence what so ever to the Islamic faith ), it's J-Hirata ! :p

15. gendruw

gendruw Regular Member

they insult mine, i insult theirs. as simple as that :D

16. CarbonexFan

CarbonexFan Regular Member

Challenge him for a play and show him every corner of the playing field.

And if he declines, tell him the speed of a shuttle, speed of a squash ball and tennis ball and tell he's lucky playing slow sports/team sport...

17. Danstevens

Danstevens Regular Member

Student
    I use the shuttle speed argument but no one seems to believe it and I have also played some badminton haters. Needless to say smashed them off the court and that was the end of that.

18. tansarbh

tansarbh Regular Member

Just think that they are stupid. :)

19. COOLEST

COOLEST Regular Member

OMG LOL :p! Yeah I saw that too and I was like "Jiharta... wait... wtf?" (for a second I too thought it said Jihad)

20. COOLEST

COOLEST Regular Member

Surprisingly, I actually haven't come across many people who think that badminton's a granny/sissy sport. There was this one time, but my bold stare caused the person to think that I was about to attack him and he just swiftly walked away. I think people who say that badminton's a weak sport have never actually played it properly themselves, or with a compatible opponent.