Let's start a new club in North Natomas (Sacramento)

Discussion in 'USA West' started by smashndrop, Apr 9, 2007.

1. flreina

flreina New Member

CFO
    Thanks Xmagic. I plan to check that out one weekend but the possibility of club in Natomas excites me. I have a daughter in Inderkum and I've asked her to find out if the gym can be used for badminton or at least find out who I should speak to at the school about it. I'll post additional info here as soon as I get it.

2. LBJohnny

LBJohnny New Member

Highschool Student
    Errmm, if anyone plays at CSus and would like to meet up and play please contact me. I dont feel comfortable going there alone, not know anyone at all. Send me a private message or just email me at : Inthavongxay@hotmail.com. Thank you! :D

3. jon2k2

jon2k2 Regular Member

Anyone knows if CSUS badminton court will be open by next week? Or even this week? I'd like to play there as well.

4. smashndrop

smashndrop Regular Member

Hey guys/gals,

I'm the original poster of this thread. Wow! it's interesting to see that there's at least some interest in starting a new club. I had visited Inderkum myself and spoke to the Athletics Director. I forget her name as this was almost a year ago. There is a possibility of eight courts there. Great lighting and floors. The only exception is that, the courts have non-continuos lines. Meaning, basketball lines cross over and into the badminton lines and they are not continuous. If you look at the courts, you'll know what I mean. I believe the equipment is all there too.

THe last time I checked, you mainly have Sunday afternoon open. THey charge a reservation fee so I'm not sure how many members I could find who are willing to pay when CSUS is free. I was looking to build a club that also allowed children to come and play where as in CSUS, kids aren't really allowed and players are clicky amongst their own group. I got fed-up with that and decided to drive 35 mins to Folsom instead. The players there are more social, more inviting and there are also eight courts there, with at least two courts consistently free. You get more chances to play. I would consider driving to Folsom if I were you.

For what its worth, I have since relocated back to Boston. And the badminton scene here is at a higher caliber than Sacramento. If you want real badminton, you need to move to the bay area. Players at CSUS are still playing with the 15-pt system where every1 else is on the 21-pt rally system. :)

Good luck to you all.

5. jon2k2

jon2k2 Regular Member

CSUS open this weekend?

Is CSUS open this weekend for open play? If anyone wants to play, please let me know. I haven't been playing for a while so I am eager to play again. Shoot me an email: jonymr@gmail.com.

6. jon2k2

jon2k2 Regular Member

Is CSUS open this weekend?

Is CSUS open this weekend? If it is, anyone wanna play badminton? I'm an average player and I haven't played for a while. Please e-mail me: jonymr@gmail.com. Thanks.

7. Tacowall

Tacowall Regular Member

President of the UC Davis Badminton Club
    Hello All,
    First of all I would like to wish you the best of luck in establishing your club in North Natomas, smashndrop, and I am glad to see that there is such a strong following for badminton here in the Sacramento area.

Smashndrop, let me know if you get your club established and we can schedule a friendly match, the offer is open to the CSUS club as well. As badminton players in the Sacramento area I feel that we should network more and work together to promote badminton in the Sacramento area.

One last thing, I would also like to welcome all of you to the UC Davis Badminton Club, beginning on Sept 29 we will have practice from 8-11 Mondays and Wednesdays, and 7-10 on Fridays. Club members receive free birds for play, drop in fees will again be $5. And also, our UC Davis Fall Open will be held this year on Oct. 25th and 26th, sign up as a team/club and receive a discount!

8. Tacowall

Tacowall Regular Member

Good luck to smashndrop with establishing your club in North Natomas. I am a representative of UC Davis Badminton, so let me know when you get it going and we can schedule a friendly match, the offer stands for other clubs/teams in the Sacramento area as well.

For those looking for a place to play, UC Davis Badminton will resume practice on Sept. 29, 8-11pm on Mondays and Wednesdays and 7-10 Fridays. Drop ins are always welcomed, and club members receive free birds for games. We will also be hosting our UC Davis Fall Open on Oct 25 and 26.

www.ucdbadminton.com for more info

#28 Tacowall, Sep 10, 2008
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2008
  9. jon2k2

jon2k2 Regular Member

Tacowall-

So UC Davis club now open for everybody even for not being students? Is there a way to join the member? If not, I assume to play will be $5 each time? Is it only member who can receive free birds? Otherwise all others will have to bring their own birds?

10. Tacowall

Tacowall Regular Member

We always welcome people from the outside to join our club, however the UC Davis Sports Club administration stresses that the club should be for UC Davis affiliates only. Despite this "rule" we still have a few members from the surrounding Sacramento area join our club each year.
    Non UC Davis affiliates can join the club just like UC Davis students and faculty, $30 per quarter (about the price of two tubes of birds) and you receive free birds for games during the quarter. Drop-in players must pay a $5 fee and provide their own birds.

Oh, final word of advice...if the UC Davis Sports Club people ask, just say that you're alumni from the class of 19XX..that should work haha.

11. sac_man

sac_man Regular Member

Engineer
    CSUS badminton

CSUS badminton club has been around for more than 20 year, for someone in Sacramento want to start a new club , I think the smart things to do may be to talk to one of their senior members..and contrary to the other poster experience.. I do found them to be very friendly.

There are 8 courts in the gym, so most players will play with players are in their level of play.. for those guys who play in the "" challange courts" , they prefer to play with players that are in the club level play ( A or B)-I know they are always someone better..this was set up so that everyone can get some good match...

So if you guys are in the sacramento area on weekend, I encourage you to stop by and check this place out...

I think it's still FREE .....

12. DestinyDesires

DestinyDesires New Member

Any progress with starting a badminton club in Natomas? Me and a few of my collegues are looking to join a badminton club in the area. Please post updates.

Thanks!

13. flreina

flreina New Member

CFO
    We got started on getting permission to use Inderkum HS. The process is a bit involved as it requires us to file as a 501c3 non-profit. Have to make time to follow through on it.

14. smashndrop

Inderkum HS Club

That is great! I'm excited for those of you who are planning on the club at Inderkum. I'm no longer in Sacramento but if we move back to Sacramento, I'd like to hear about it.

To the "Taco" person at UC Davis. I did play there once when I first moved to Sacramento. That's a decent place too.

Keep up the good work.

15. gary_samsonmd

gary_samsonmd New Member

MD
    interested

i haven't played regularly for years but yes, i'm interested

16. jm_dawen

jm_dawen New Member

Any progress with the badminton club?
    SF bay area has quite a few gyms open every day, but sacramento ,None!!
    It is so sad that this wonderful sport isn't popular here at all, I always want to
    kick my kids out of home and away from TV and Game.

17. NC-BC

NC-BC New Member

Consultant
    Fully Dedicated Badminton Gym is opening soon in Sac area. Come and play!!!=D

Hey fellow-badminton enthusiasts,
    I wish I caught this thread earlier, but it's never too late to share the good news. There's a fully dedicated badminton facility opening right off of highway-50 at Sunrise in Rancho. It'll have professional flooring, lights, and goodies so you can enjoy the ultimate badminton experience. We are still working on the built-out now and hope to be done by mid-December. Follow our progress at http://www.facebook.com/NCBadminton.
    cheers, NCBC

18. myuugen

myuugen Regular Member

Engineer
    Just moved to the Citrus Heights, looking forward to your opening! Can't wait!

19. NC-BC

NC-BC New Member

Consultant
    Sacramento area badminton fans, NorCalBadminton (NCBC) is totally open 7-days. Check it out at www.NorCalBadminton.com and http://www.facebook.com/NCBadminton . Yes!!! You can play badminton with your friends and family anytime you want...whenever you want. You do not have to wait for open gym. How cool is that?
    cheers, NCBC

20. smashndrop

Interesting..there's a new club. I posted this originally in 2007. We have since moved back to Boston due to the lack of badminton clubs. :) Not really...we moved back due to family needs. I'm sure you'll find quite a bit of interest there mainly from the Sacramento State and UC Davis colleges. Good Luck!