Analysis of LCW's play in HKO

Discussion in 'Hong Kong Open 2007' started by X Ball, Dec 4, 2007.

1. Dreamzz

Dreamzz Regular Member

there's very little between LD and LCW at the moment.
    it's pretty simple, whoever plays better on the day will win.

2. Simp84

Simp84 Regular Member

Student
    Flick serve is cheap and unfair?
    First of all LD do that too & in fact quite a number of players do it too.
    It is the opponent's fault for not being ready when someone else serves.
    It isn't considered a cheap tactic, it's all part of the game.

3. Smichz

Smichz Regular Member

Student,Tour guide,Marketer
    I guess this thread will works well to answer everyone who thought that HK open was dirty..will they bother to change their mind?

4. eaglehelang

eaglehelang Regular Member

Anyway, wasnt LCW playing injured? Even RTM commentator was worried he'll aggravate his knee injury. He's more drained in HK than France.
    So, cant really compare right XBall?
    Compare it with Japan Open match, LCW in HK moved like an uncle, LCW in Japan moved faster.

He didnt do his famous dives to save the shuttle, when he did, he couldnt recover fast enough. But he did try harder than China Open although there were some line calls.

Will be interesting though to see a fully fit LCW against LD.
    LD was extra polite this time though, apologising when the shuttle hit LCw's body. Hmmmmm,trying to show sportmanship towards injured opponent?

In any case, Misbun has been smart enough to give effective tips, I'm sure he & LCW will come up with an effective strategy to beat LD.

#24 eaglehelang, Dec 5, 2007
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2007
  5. X Ball

X Ball Regular Member

Who is repeating -- you or me ? You have rubbbished my 1st post and you did it again to emphasize your point - why ? Fear people would not listen to you and you want them to maybe agree with you? Is that it ?

Curiosity kills the cat or don't you know ?

6. X Ball

X Ball Regular Member

Yes most of the factors do come into consideration -- I was just pointing where he might have gone wrong, especially with his returned shot to the back from a net shot. He seemed to be getting it short or playing it too long. When that happens, it upsets one's game (possibly a draft can affect that too), especially if LD can capitalise on it. At other times, when he beat LD, he never had a lot of those shots to trouble him.

7. pjswift

pjswift Regular Member

I believe that , had LCW being uninjured, he would have defeated LD straight; just like in SC and JO.

8. X Ball

X Ball Regular Member

Thank you my friend. I think we both enjoy the success of LCW.

9. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    I am not sure. Perhaps if you have a video of their match, try to zero in on the different body language of LCW in the first set vs the other two sets. The mind sets the tone of the body language. I think it was more a test of mental strength.

10. pjswift

pjswift Regular Member

Nothing to do with mental strength. His knee condition can hold up to a certain point.In LCW's matches vs PG and KJ, he was in danger of losing G2;had he lost G2,he wouldn't have survived G3 from PG or KJ.
    When LCW started firing in G1, notice how LD lost his concentration and tried to find fault with the officials' plastic iD tags?How come he did not have that problem in his previous 4 matches?
    Of course the mind decides on the body. But if the knee condition deteriorated to the extent LCW cannot fully execute his weapons, he will be at his opponent's mercy.He had no choice but to play the way he did in G2 and G3.So the mind can decide on a fully fit body but up to a certain extent for an injured one. (That's why people die even when they fervently wish to live on.)
    I don't think you are aware how fresh LD was compared to LCW. HKO is effectively LD's first tourney while it's LCW's second consecutive one. That matters, that's why LD even have the added privilege of a truncated sf with compatriot CJ.If freshness does not matter, why would CHN have so many convenient teammate walkovers?
    I'm just surprised a fresh uninjured LD needed 50 minutes to defeat an injured,tired LCW. Very unconvincing win, to my mind.

11. eaglehelang

I did, I'm sure Xball & PJSwift did too, most prob more times than I did. In HK, LCW looked somewhat tired in G2 and totally drained out by G3. It was mind over body that keep him going in G3 - basically in G3 LCW looked like going to fall down & faint.

HK Open - injured, tired, half frustrated LCW against fresh, fit, determined (must win after embarassing 1st rd lost to Park in China) LD.

Compare that with one month before that, French Open F- injured but fresher, cool LCW against tired BCL.
    I believe it was against LD, it would have gone to 3 tight sets with LCW winning - everyone was surprised with LCW's new strategy.

Compare that with the tournament one week before = China Open F - injured but frustrated LCW(all those dubious line call) against determined, fresh BCL. If LCW had not given up, would have to 3 exciting sets with BCL winning.
    BUT from my observation, even then, LCW moved faster, more alert, maybe the knee pain wasnt so bad.

Compare that with Japan Open Semi - fresh & determined LCW against unfocused LD. LCW won in straight sets.

A LCW fan posted that in order for LD to beat LCW or taufik he has to put in 110%, that's why it's often 3 sets. And when it's not 110%, LCW can beat LD in straight sets cos LCW playing at his normal game.

12. volcom

volcom Regular Member

Pjswift and X Ball are the heads of 'LCW only lost because of blah blah' brigade, for surely LCW would've beaten Lin Dan no problemos if he weasn't injured. Thats normal because most of the people here on these forums are Malaysian's and its their national game?
    Just few months ago LCW was beaten left right, centre and now he manages to win a couple of tournaments and make it to the finals of a few others, he is going to be number one in the world soon?
    Way too poremature imho. A few months ago Boonsak was beating Chinese players and look where he is now. Lin Dan loses a few times as its the part and parcel of such a competitive game and he is losing it?
    No offense intended

13. sonnymak

sonnymak Regular Member

eaglehelang, that was me who commented about LD need 110% to beat LCW. And it was from LD's mouth in an interview he gave to cctv.

Volcome, i am Malaysian but I tried to be as objective as I can. LD played well in HKO final and employ correct tactics against LCW, LCW employed wrong tactics and made many unforced errors esp at 5-5 in the 3rd set and gave LD a 11-5 lead. Later at Ld's point 13, LCW tightened his game and fewer mistakes but LD just maintained his lead and game over. So overall LCW is consistent when ever he meet LD, LD this time played better than LCW by again employing better strategy. It depends on the day. If LD had made a string of mistakes at 5-5, then LCW would have won, that's the difference.

When it comes to skill, LCW and BCl are better than LD, but LD body and mind are quicker and make less mistake in his game couple with powerful attack that's why LD is No.1 and LCW and BCL 2 and 3 respectively.

LCW and BCL will out last LD in the top, LD's game does not allow him to compete the top post 2008 as the attack will lose some sting and he will have to rely on skill so like XXZ after 2008, LD would be candidate for retirement.

14. eaglehelang

1) Actually, we are one of the few who continously support Msian players. There are many others who bashed LCW for his losses in China & Japan, including Msia sports minister and the Msian press.

Same goes for KKK/TBH, lots of "why (Msia player) lost ?" when they lose one match. None on why Fu/Cai lost 1st rd in China, Semis in HK.
    Look at the Indonesian fans, they didnt bash Taufik, Kido/Setiawan as hard when they lost.

2) No, Xball (who started this thread) dont think LCW will be World No 1 anytime soon, just how to improve, as a concerned fan.
    One BCer, fastdrop from Philipines, even commented Msia has very good players and pleaded us, the Msian fans not to be so critical. Fastdrop was at the stadium watching for China & HK Opens.

#34 eaglehelang, Dec 7, 2007
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2007
  15. sonnymak

sonnymak Regular Member

P.S. I am a badminton afficionado. To me although nationality matters, when I see good a badminton player I comment praise his or her style irrespective of that players nationalilty.

16. drifit

drifit newbie

PM
    1. anyone plays badminton while having injuries?
    2. does this uneasy feeling affect your play?
    3. will you easily get annoy?

17. samuel882

samuel882 Regular Member

Tour Leader
    The above sentense in bold is not correct :cool:

18. samuel882

samuel882 Regular Member

Tour Leader
    Managed to watch the replay just an hour ago. That match was marred by drift on many occasions. both players having some bad judjements ...
    On skills wise.. LD & LCW were pretty equal ... LD was on superb form while smashed & LCW is quick as usual on the net..
    Both of them got some lucky shots over the nets too.
    Instead of debating on the mentality issues, I think the main keys on who will prevailed in future matches will be much rellies on who can command over the drift on court..

19. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    The best criteria to judge who is the better player is the number of times each of them, LD, LCW, BCL, got into the quarter-finals, semi-finals, finals, and eventual finals winner, the number of times over a year. In other words, its the silverware and the winnings in $ they win that counts. This is consistency which requires mental strength. Winning the finals a few times and then crashing out in the openning rounds every now and then are not the hallmark of a great player. Winning only when you are in top form is one thing, but winning titles even when you are not in top form, is the real hallmark of a true champion, as it separates the great from the brilliant-only-when-in form type. LCW is a brilliant player but he, and BCL as well, are not made of that sterner stuff that LD now seems to exude.

20. DavidZhang

DavidZhang New Member

Bank Officer
    Agree.
    As a Chinese, I like LCW's play a lot. LCW, LD and BCL, they are all talented and at the top of this game at moment. However, in such a competitive sports, it is really really hard to hold there at the top for long. I really want to see different faces win games. I think a lot of factors decide the win or lose of games. If you watched how well-played CY/FHF in Sudirman Cup 2007, you would really be wondering how they lost so badly recently. Thus, to be a great player, you need to overcome a lot and be consistent.