Post videos of yourself playing

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by GTAveteran, Apr 8, 2009.

1. Rob3rt

Rob3rt Regular Member

Thanks for the warning. Played with the idea of getting myself a tripod for my phone to get some footage...

drmchsraj likes this.
  2. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Definitely get something not super cheap. A slightly heavier tripod will reduce the vibration already, rubber feet will help, and you should extend the legs a long as possible (not only the first extension like I did here). You can also attach weights to decent tripods, they have a hook underneath. They just dont come under 20€, but if you want to film/photograph semi-regularly, you wont regret investing in a decent one - no reason it should ever wear out.

3. SimonCarter

SimonCarter Regular Member

If you have a big enough gym the weight should not be an issue. I got a very cheap one and it never failed me.

4. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

I never had big issues with a camcorder either, but the phone doesn't have any inherent stabilization and this was like 1,5m from the base line...

5. akatsuki2104

akatsuki2104 Regular Member

I wish I could smash like you :p
    As for the tripod, I use something like these :
    https://www.amazon.de/dp/B07F2WRHHF...&pd_rd_r=9cb13174-36fb-11e9-96a8-df6022bfc235
    https://www.amazon.de/Smartphone-Ko...550879027&sr=8-4&keywords=phone+tripod+holder

Here I fixed it on a pipe from a light switch :

It's really usefull and hardly take any space in the bag :D

#2785 akatsuki2104, Feb 22, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2019
    ucantseeme likes this.
  6. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

You're gonna make me blush :D
    What I noticed regarding your smash is something I am often guilty of as well - imop you're not turning your upper body enough, and not stretching your arm out. You could get more by utilizing your tricep more as well as your entire core. In preparation you're not pulling back your right shoulder far enough, and after you hit the shuttle you don't follow through (rotation-wise) far enough either.
    A cue to get a better feel for it would be to emulate a goal keeper's throw (football) - keep your arm long and relaxed at shoulder height, then throw a ball (or at least mimick it) by turning your upper body. The smash is basically the same motion with a slightly raised arm, some sideways lean in the torso, and the added triceps extension and pronation.
    Also, something about your grip seems a bit off to me, but I cant make it out in the video - I may even be entirely wrong :D Cant put my finger on it.

Sorry if this seems a bit direct or harsh, I dont mean to belittle anything you do. In fact I only zoom in on this because you criticized your own smash (if you wish for mine, you really must hate yours, imop :D) and because you schooled your opponent in this one and I have little to say about the game. Reminded me a bit of a classic Hong Kong movie where a wisened master calmly takes apart a brash youngster :D

akatsuki2104 likes this.
  7. akatsuki2104

Don't be sorry, I always appreciate well thought criticism :D. I think you are spot on about the body turning. As for the shoulder, I tend to be lazy :rolleyes: but when I do strech my shoulder back, it's true that I can pull out more power.
    About my grip, it may be a bit off sometimes but I can't tell myself :p

8. deepinthemusic

deepinthemusic Regular Member

Hi all, cheers from indonesia, im new to the thread (just found out this thread actually), hoping to improve my game so any inputs are deeply appreciated..

Im the guy with sleeveless, this one is against my single partner, never won a match with him, only won sets/games, but never won a match since the first time we played..

Thanks in advance,
    Cheers

#2788 deepinthemusic, Mar 28, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2019
  9. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

That's a fairly good level after only 15 months on court, thumbs up for that! And imo, there is no reason at all, why you shouldn't be able to beat that guy very soon - and without any huge improvements in your own game. Apart from the obvious standard things (get lower, keep working on your footwork etc.), here's what I would do:

His serve is horribly weak. ATTACK IT for heaven's sake! Currently, you're waiting for the shuttle to get to you instead of making a step towards it and get it at least close to tape height. And then you need to vary your return of serve more. From the rallies that I've seen, you have played a long lift every single time. Mix it up with some netshots and I'm sure this only will get you 5 points more per game.

His standard return of serve shot seems to be a straight smash - and not a very deadly one. Be prepared for that (wide and low stance!) and focus on a good short block defense. In general, try to move him around as much as possible and try to draw him more towards the net. A good example is the rally at 3:48. As soon as he needs to move only some steps, his shots lose a lot of precision and he's no longer able to control the rally.

Work on your own smash in terms of control and placement. Watch the rally at 4:18. After his weak backhand you had all the cards in your hand to end that rally with a little bit more placement (not power!) in that smash.

He clearly has issues with both deep forehand and backhand corners. So here's a simple tactic that you should try next time:
    1) draw him towards the net with a drop or net shot (return of serve?)
    2) play a straight flat attacking clear to either his deep forehand or backhand corner
    3) wait for a weak reply and use it to maintain the pressure

He is in no way that much better than you already that it would be impossible for you to beat him, let me tell you that. Keep up the good work!

deepinthemusic likes this.
  10. deepinthemusic

@s_mair

First i want to say thank you for replying, points taken for telling me to lower my stances, working on my footwork, and improving my shots placement, will do more footwork drills when i have the chance, and try to work more on placement with my smashes/shots... also i get what you said about me waiting for the shuttle to come to me instead of getting one step closer to it, its been on my mind but so hard to get rid of bad habit on the court, i dont know if its muscle memory or bad habit but its been on top of my to do list these few weeks

about the sparring partner, in his defense, he was only playing at 70% (im obv trying my best you can tell by my sweat and deep breath lol), he served like that mostly because he knows im not fast enough to kill/attack it

so back to the drawing board, low stances, footwork, shot placements, and NOT waiting for the shuttle to come to me instead take one step closer..

thx for the inputs, deeply appreciated

11. amleto

amleto Regular Member

1: Your split step is often mising and when it's not, it's too small and you're still virtually in standing posture.
    2: Your dropshots are telegraphed because your swing is different and your whole motion is so slow.
    3: When late in your deep forehand corner you should turn your shoulders more to the back court. It's counter-intuitive, but it gives you more options in terms of power, and makes cross-court drop easier.

There is a bigger conversation on someone else's troubles with late deep forehand corner here, which I think you should pay attention to :)
    https://www.badmintoncentral.com/fo...s/secrets-of-the-deep-forehand-corner.170907/

deepinthemusic and s_mair like this.
  12. deepinthemusic

Thanks for pointing that out, still have to lose some weight so can move a lot easier for me to apply correct footwork/stances...

Dropshot is telegraphed? Can you please explain?

That is one very informative thread, thanks for pointing that out

13. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Telegraphed means one can see what shot you're going to play before you actually play it, usually because of your preparation (I.e. You have a visibly different preparation for your drop shot than for a clear or smash). That gives a significant advantage to your opponent who knows what to expect who and can react a lot faster as a result.

14. deepinthemusic

Ahh, i see, after watching the videos im starting to get what you guys meant, any tips that i can use so i can make my shots (drops, clears, smash) not telegraphed?

15. visor

visor Regular Member

Pretend you're smashing, but at the very last moment change it to a drop. Just keep practicing and it'll get better.

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

16. visor

visor Regular Member

Actually in order to sell it better to your opponent, go with a full side on body turn type of smash action along with a loud yell...

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

17. deepinthemusic

Lol, loud yell i can do..

Read and watch tutorial, i should be hitting the shuttle at the highest contact point, from watching my video looks like i didnt do it properly, i guess its another bad habit i need to change.. Thx man, will post another vid in a couple weeks/months when i feel im improving, this thread is a lifesaver for non-school/coach player like me, thanks you guys

18. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Watch Tai Tzu Ying. Always pulls back her racket shoulder very far, even when she plays a soft shot. Always rotating her upper body the (almost) same amount. Never approach the shuttle with a relaxed/limp upper body.
    The kids' coach in our club reminds them to 'build a roof' - i.e. your forearms should make a ^ shape over your head (roughly) with your upper back and shoulders engaged and slightly pulling back your shoulders. Peter Gade would be an excellent example of this particular habit.

19. deepinthemusic

I see what you meant with the build a roof term.. I dont bring my left hand up quite often, i need to do that more

Nice tips, thx mate

20. akatsuki2104

Small update since your advice j4ckie. I get a much better feeling on my smash now (added the body turning + better timing). They are more crisp/sharp. :D

Max Killwolf likes this.