Do you think the "scandal" would give badminton some "good" press about the sport?

Discussion in 'Olympics LONDON 2012' started by MeowMeowCats, Aug 2, 2012.

1. MeowMeowCats

MeowMeowCats Regular Member

Badminton isn't popular here in the USA and this news is now everywhere. Would this let people put "badminton" and "sport" in the same sentence? Or spread some knowledge about the sport or interest?

2. etudiant

etudiant Regular Member

People maybe just glancing this news this week or during OG

After that I dont see why it should put badminton on the map significantly

3. speedyambarish

speedyambarish Regular Member

Good luck with that lol.
    People in USA can be very adamant. Badminton will be regarded as a backyard picnic game over there as long as there isn't any significant TV coverage and professional participation. Now that all the greats of the game will soon retire, we will face a period with a bit of dull, uninspired badminton, which isn't going to further the cause.
    Perhaps now that Yu Yang has pretty much ruined her chances in China, she can move over to USA and recruit some good players. Only then will badminton be regarded as an actual sport.

Right now, with the scandal and all, people will only see it as 'that game that people try to lose at'.
    If you don't have to be 6 feet tall and weight 200 pounds, you're going to need something special to get people to realise it's a sport.

4. etudiant

etudiant Regular Member

I like the idea YY moves to USA, but will CBA approve it :p

5. Voltric

Voltric Regular Member

To make badminton popular in the USA we need to emphasize a lot of statistics, and come up with little badminton cards with those statistics together with pictures of the players so that lower and middle school kids can trade them or buy them from the local Walmart or Target. These will eventually appreciate in value over Ebay, prompting more publishers to create badminton cards of players as obscure as Ville Lang and Kenichi Tago, thus increasing their hype. Most Americans are obssessed with sports statistics, so we need to put in as much info as possible, such as Win/Loss record, number of forced and unforced errors, max. shuttle speed achieved, density of nasal hair, wing span, maximum length traveled by projectile after being ejected from the nose (Lin Dan, are you listening?), and shoe size. I hope Nike and Reebok are recording this. Go, go, go badminton!

6. twobeer

twobeer Regular Member

computer
    Actually, I think this can at least get some ignorant people to understand that Badminton players are in the games to get medals, not as a backyard sport where winning and loosing to them does not matter, and that they would personally sacrifice their own hopes of winning for the "olympic cause" sake. If there is a dissadvantage in winning the group for the playoffs, badmionton players will do the same thing as any NBA team, hockey-team fotball team etc would do.. And just like Bolt would dropt the tempo in the final strech of the qualifying heat the badminton players aim for the Win and THAT is the ultimate goal for them.

:)

7. chibe_K

chibe_K Regular Member

Interesting that you started this thread as a few of my friends and folks at work already asked me about badminton after they learned about the scandal. This is not saying they will start to play badminton but I do think that to certain extent the scandal did generate some interest among general public to know more about badminton.

8. mcdogoo

mcdogoo Regular Member

Any press is good press.

The international coverage on badminton is unprecedented. lol

9. gundamzaku

gundamzaku Regular Member

working professional
    no such thing as bad publicity!!!

10. Fidget

Fidget Regular Member

There is such a thing as bad publicity. If badminton is seen as a freak sport and the only press it gets is for freak scandals, then the only conclusion a casual observer can make is that it is a sport for freaks. :(

11. khoai

khoai Regular Member

Don't under estimate the power of negative publicity. Think about these key words: Kim Kardashian, s*x tape, etc LOL

12. CantSmashThis

CantSmashThis Regular Member

^ That publicity stunt got her famous.

Regarding this, I still feel that it leaves a sour taste on the sport of badminton. Not only the players for doing that, but also the organizers for making the change in the format to allow this to happen. I feel that this shows badminton players don't have the Olympic spirit at all.

13. Fidget

Fidget Regular Member

If you want 'trailer trash' for fans, that's a fine path of publicity to follow.

For badminton, we want to attract fans with stories that are uplifting ... and I don't mean up-lifting in the sense of cosmetic buttock surgery.:(

14. V1lau

V1lau Regular Member

Net Play and Counter Attack
    Just look at bike racing like the Tour De France, we had an American win it like 7 times and had a drug scandal all over the media. Still pretty much a niche sport and I don't see that changing. Especially since a good bike is well over $1000 USD, similiar to birdies being $15-$20USD a tube ... freaking expensive!

15. khoai

khoai Regular Member

That's not what I want but a fact in the current unbelievable world. It would be a straight 'NO' 10 or 20 years ago for the op's question but now suddenly 'yes' can be an answer too.

16. Fan888

Fan888 Regular Member

If you see the highlight (or low-light) that are showed on TV/Web, it shows 4 players standing around the court and hitting the shuttle the net and out-of-bound. They are far far from inspiring popularity to the sports.

17. MeowMeowCats

MeowMeowCats Regular Member

I've seen one of the news videos introduce badminton when the shuttle goes over 200 mph.

18. stumblingfeet

stumblingfeet Regular Member

Gail Emms was saying in her broadcast about how reporters were visiting Wembley arena and commenting to her how they enjoyed watching the games (when the players were trying).

Here in Canada, we have our first ever chance at a medal in badminton as a result of this scandal. This should give us some national broadcast time which is certainly nice publicity.

19. Fan888

Fan888 Regular Member

That is good to hear. That is what make people interested in the sport.

20. squashnut

squashnut New Member

radio
    I would just like to say that in the few squash events that play out dead rubbers, the match is usually played 2/3 instead of 3/5. I have never seen anyone play hard in a meaningless match, if any matches are still to be played, and top players have lost "matches" to players they would beat 100 times out of 100.

This is about sports betting in London (big business) and ticket sales.