CELCOM AXIATA Malaysia Open 2017 - FINALS

Discussion in '2017 Tournaments' started by Nine Tailed Fox, Apr 8, 2017.

1. Jonc108

Jonc108 Regular Member

Haha, too easy way he could not find his best form (so to blame Chen Long as he retired at QF so that LCW had an easy semi); if too difficult the he will be too tired to have his form (also could blame Chen Long if he won QF and gave LCW a hard fought semi)...

either way could be a good reason for the loss... very good.

2. Pirayeba67

Pirayeba67 Regular Member

Head hunter
    I feel sorry for her too especially when there are so many Fuzhou people rooting for her. What more when there are, I am sure, many Huangs over in Kuching because the founder of the Fuzhou settlement is a Huang ( Wong) Nai Siong.
    Anyway she won a total of USD 10k+ assuming she gets to keep 50% of her winnings. That's many many ( imitating Trump) bowls of Fuzhou noodles ( Kolo noodles) for which Kuching is famous.

nilesh123, pcll99, Cheung and 2 others like this.
  3. kelana

kelana Regular Member

globalresearch.ca
    I learnt about Huang (Wong) Nai Siong recently from a CCTV 4 中文国际 documentary about the Chinese migrants in the Southeast Asia, it's mentioned there that Wong Nai Siong was the founding leader of a Chinese Christian Community in Sibu, Borneo Island at the onset of the 20th century.

[​IMG]
    Location of Sibu town in Sarawak, MAS (Borneo Island)​

Pirayeba67 likes this.
  4. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    You missed Spain.... :confused:

5. kelana

kelana Regular Member

globalresearch.ca
    Nope, the reference was actually made limited to gold only...

but to think it over better it's also expanded to cover silvers, then plus both the host MAS and ESP :)

6. badMania

badMania Regular Member

Quoted from badmintonindonesia.org (the PBSI Official Website):
    “Di pertandingan final, Marcus/Kevin dalam kondisi yang sudah capek banget, tetapi motivasinya untuk menang besar sekali. Inilah kunci sukses Marcus/Kevin juara lagi. Dari tenaga, kualitas konsen udah luar biasa,” kata Herry Iman Pierngadi soal laga final di Malaysia Open Super Series Premier 2017.

“Kami sudah berdiskusi dan Marcus/Kevin tetap mau tanding di Singapura. Namun saya tidak membebani mereka target apa-apa di Singapura, mengingat kondisi mereka sudah habis-habisan. Saya rasa dengan tiga gelar berturut-turut adalah capaian yang bagus,” tambah Herry.

Despite the common-sense decision of withdrawing Marcus Fernaldi Gideon/Kevin Sanjaya Sukamuljo from the Singapore SS next week, Herry IP (PBSI's MD Chief Coach) decided to let them play as the pair insisted on playing! Of course, there will be no target whatsoever as the pair is certainly very exhausted at the moment, after 2 consecutive titles and the media frenzy back home after their All-England victory. Even in today's Final match against the Chinese pair, the INA pair was not at their best physical condition (Kevin was nursing a cough and Marcus was not well since yesterday). Yet, the in-form pair wa still very fired up & motivated to win; that was really their key to success behind today's victory!

I personally foresee them probably losing next week: a Korean qualifying pair will possibly face them in R32 (possibly Choi Sol Gyu/Kim Gi Jung or Kim Jae Hwan/Yoo Yeon Seong), followed by either the JPN pair Takuro Hoki/Yugo Kobayaki once again or the HKG pair Tang Chun Man/Or Chin Chung in R16. A defeat against any of these pair will not be surprising to me. It has happened before at the HKG SS where they lost in the first round to Lu Kai/Zheng Siwei, right after they won their first SSP title in China last year.

If they can defend their points next week (QF finish, 5040), another daunting match against the towering Danes Mads Conrad-Petersen/Mads Pieler Kolding will possibly await them. And I dare not foresee beyond QF as I don't think they have the stamina to last that far.

Let's see if the minions can prove me wrong once again.

CLELY and gelopisan like this.
  7. gelopisan

gelopisan Regular Member

So what? Lots of Huangs out there why only mentioned Kuching and Fuzhou?
    Huang YQ is not even from Fuzhou. Didn't see the correlation. Sigh.

Pirayeba67 likes this.
  8. Desireless

Desireless Regular Member

Because....Spain didn't win a title?

9. galaxyduo

galaxyduo Regular Member

I think LD was motivated to win today because he has never won Malaysia SS before. LD remembers the embarrassing come behind by LCW in 2006 to win it - I think LCW got 10 straight points to win the Malaysia SS in 2006? Also, LCW had beaten LD three times in a row and LCW was probably tired of all his Malaysia SS wins - I just think LCW wasn't as motivated today.

I would still put LCW as the favorite over LD at the WC this summer if they meet. However, it looks like LD still playing as a top 3 player in the world so LD should be a force to be reckoned with at the WC this summer.

10. Pirayeba67

Pirayeba67 Regular Member

Head hunter
    Didn't GC say that she is from Fuzhou the other day? May be I heard wrongly.

11. lisa bitch hannigan

lisa bitch hannigan Regular Member

“I am happy to win, especially in Malaysia where the fans support me. My first few matches were not good but today I started well. Carolina caught up and she was too fast and strong for me at the end of the first game,” said Tai, who levelled their head-to-head 4-4 with this triumph.

“I tried to keep calm and focused as the rallies became shorter. My plan was to keep running and force her into mistakes.”

Despite her disappointment, Marin focused on the silver lining, declaring herself “confident to play tough matches again”.

“I think I played well this week. I knew it would be tough today. She is a really good player and it was a great match by both of us. I am a bit disappointed because I made some mistakes at the end but, I am 100 per cent fit now, and my aim is to be world No.1 again.”

fanfaron likes this.
  12. samkool

samkool Regular Member

too pre-occupied to work
    #392 samkool, Apr 9, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2017
  13. samkool

samkool Regular Member

too pre-occupied to work
    ws summary:
    • first two games were nail biters. clutch shot making on both sides. wow!
    • you could see tty switching her game plan in the 3rd. as it developed marin began looking clueless. even though marin was leading 10-7 in the 3rd game she really had zero chance of winning it. tty goes on a 14-3 run to close it out. scary impressive! "my goodness me..." :p
    ms summary:
    • steen said it best, "what is lcw's game plan?" i didn't notice one either. it could be due to ld taking lcw out of his intended game plan.
    • whether he won or lost a point ld appeared to be in control the vast majority of the time. PATIENCE, PATIEnce, PAtience, patience, patience... patience, patience... zzz, zzz, zzz... SNAP! point to ld! lcw was caught off guard a lot. i'm forced to conclude ld understands lcw's game far more than lcw understands ld's game.
    • lcw actually looked a little tired half-way through the 2nd game. granted, playing ld will wear most people down. ld makes you cover every inch of the 22' x 17' on your side of the net. it is the byproduct of possessing the best pure racket skills in the history of men's singles. during his peak years ld's speed and explosiveness overshadowed his finesse.
    • the master improves his head-to-head vs. lcw to 25 wins against 11 losses... a 69.4% win rate.
    currently the dominant forces in today's game are tty (4 ss/p in a row) & gideon/sukamuljo (3 ss/p in a row).

14. volcom

volcom Regular Member

Minions will win Singapore open!

Only thing that can stop them is injuries.

15. pjswift

pjswift Regular Member

Agree, provided they get past QF. The INA crowd support is very strong in Singapore Open. They are going to need all the energy from the INA fans to keep them going.

16. sonnymak

sonnymak Regular Member

To put in Perspective of LD win over LCW vis a vis todays juniors. LCW made his 1st final of MO in 2003 at age 21++ losing to the top dog of 2003 Chen Hong who was at the ripe old age of 24!!!! LD was making waves in 2003. He had Xia the WC champion and Chen Hong ahead of him both 24 years old. LD won China open to take WR No.1 at 20+++ in 2003 beating WR No.3 Wong Choon Hann who was at veteran age of 25!!!!! PG was still up there at 25 and Taufik at 23. What happened to those at the 25 and 28 year old level today. They have trouble beating Hu Yun at 34!!!!!!.

17. CLELY

CLELY Regular Member

The most thrilling final match definitely was WS, heart-pumping clash of two high profile players. Tai Tzu Ying had good start at early stage of first game before Marin tuned in to attack with her faster court coverage. Second game, it's dejavu against Sung Ji Hyun in semifinal when she took game point earlier before her opponent forced deuce, at the brink of losing fortunately she clinched second set. A tight contest continues to deciding game but the exhausted Marin started to produce errors after interval break. Overall, it's world class showcase, credit to both players.

Lee-Lin battle, out of prediction it was finished in two straight-sets this time. 15-19 down then Super Dan showed his mental toughness to turn the tables and sealed crucial first game, 21-19. This turnaround impacted Lee Chong Wei confidence in second game as the home hero didn't play well and Lin broke the jinx to win first ever MAS Open crown, this title is important for Lin to answer critics that he never won title in South East Asia region (MAS, INA, SIN). No wonder, Lin Dan was so emotional to celebrate his victory yesterday.

Zheng SW/Chen QC are back on top, they're more prepared than teammates Lu K/Huang YQ who looked sloppy and below-par performace in final. Huang Yaqiong also managed runner-up position in WD final, Fukushima/Hirota created big breakthrough to bag maiden Superseries title, this Japanese pair knocked out Matsutomo/Takahashi and Chen QC/Jia YF en route to last round. The unstoppable Gideon/Sukamuljo keep their winning momentum, 3rd Superseries crown in this year and still looking forward to this week Singapore Open, the Minions are simply the best at the moment! Lee YD/Yoo YS also scored brilliant run in 2015 Superseries tour, to grab 4 titles in a row (JPN, KOR, DEN, FRA).

18. samkool

samkool Regular Member

too pre-occupied to work
    starting from the toughest mathematical position in the draw they took out the 7th, 4th & 1st seeds. their 1st round & final match were also against experienced players good enough to be seeded. a well earned victory!

at 23 (fukushima) & 22 (hirota) years old this pair is primed for tokyo 2020.

19. Jonc108

Jonc108 Regular Member

well said!

on one hand, we all salute the 2 legendary veterans for their unbelievable achievements at their ages; on the other hand, this is really due to lack of challenges from their younger MS counterparts. this is esp sad if you compared with WS.

20. nilesh123

nilesh123 Regular Member

student
    TTY 4in a row? HKG, AE, Malay and ?