Annoyance...

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Rob3rt, Dec 30, 2018.

1. DarkHiatus

DarkHiatus Regular Member

I've always started with clears, for the various reasons cited above. I also struggle to warm up adequately for the first game of the day without fail.

One of my pet peeves when I start with clears is the tendency for opponents to play very attacking clears to the back tramlines. Hardly a way to warm up, especially when you decide to respond in kind and they play a drop shot...

So that said, i'm going to trial starting with drives and see how that goes!

Okaharu, ucantseeme and endFX like this.
  2. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Hmm. No.. :p

When travelling on the road, it is very difficult to regulate the diet. A couple of guys were telling me this year they spent 5 weeks continuously on the circuit. The Indian team are always having curries in HK.

3. Kento

Kento Regular Member

I see. My favourite female player is P.V.Sindhu. Did you happen to spot her tucking into a curry in Hong Kong?

4. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Yup..and the rest of the team.

5. LenaicM

LenaicM Regular Member

Indian curry is not so bad assuming you don’t overeat, sure it’s not what we would call a strict diet wih avocado and a drop of olive oil on a wholegrain bread :). But generally Asian food and meals are pretty balanced I think.

6. ucantseeme

ucantseeme Regular Member

Z-Force II
    I disagree with the term of injury potential. Drives need a fast compact swing movement with rebound. Also this fast squeeze relax, squeeze relax of my fingers are really poison to my hand at this frequency in the beginning. I can play clears with a slow and bigger movement and a relaxed grip. To me this is more logic to get my arm prepared to a faster movement instead of starting with the fast one which is always a start and stop, which bring alot of pressure on tendons. Also driving involves to me very quick positioning adjustments if we really talk about fast driving instead of pushing. I don't see or even feel a superior thing in drives compared to relaxed clearing. For me this is my own way to get prepared without getting injured. In theory this pushing is quite nice, but most people fall into this halfcourt scoring match or drive through you when you are nice.

Also this pro player argumentation I don't agree. Take a look at all MS players. Who of them start with clears?;) I don't see a right or wrong way. Even for XD and MD you see at the matches of the BWF different starts of the same routine.

To join this thread, I feel @Rob3rt. A lot people are unable to warm up together and nicely. Most want to make a half court singles game out of it regardless which drill. I also have this issues with my own routine not only the drive.

I ride bicycle to the hall (regardless which condition), I run a bit and involve my arms slowly. I start relaxed and smooth clearing and most people make out of it punch clearing 2m above the floor always to the backhand.

endFX likes this.
  7. Borkya

Borkya Regular Member

teacher
    I don't know actually. To be honest before this thread I never really thought this was an issue people would disagree on, haha. To me, clears allow the biggest arm movement (with shoulder) and it feels like a good stretch to start the body moving. I don't know about the Chinese national team but the highest level person I ever wamed-up with (retired provincial team player..but he's only 27 now so still young) started with clears.

If done with the proper form clears really don't take much strength or effort, and it stretches both arms and shoulder, that's why I prefer it. But, like I said before, if someone just keeps doing clears to the back of the court again and again and again then it really bothers me. A good warm-up needs a variery of shots.

endFX, ucantseeme and Okaharu like this.