Zhang Nan ( 张楠 )

Discussion in 'China Professional Players' started by Nine Tailed Fox, Sep 6, 2016.

1. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

It is not possible for Bao Yixin to do without Liu Cheng and vice versa ? In life or in badminton ? You mixed up their emotional relationship with their badminton. C'mon , nobody is indispensable, ultimately.

That they were not chosen for the Rio Olympics was because they were overtaken last minute by the better performance of Xu Chen/Ma Jin in the world rankings and only two pairs maximum get to go, the new OG qualification rules, remember ? On what grounds do you claim that Bao Yixin was victimized twice, in XD and WD ? What about Wang Shixian, why didn't you say so ?

If, as you say, Bao YX without Liu Cheng or vice versa, they simply cannot perform well because they are seeing each other, not for any other reasons related to badminton - that I find hard to accept or understand. Are you implying, every XD pair where the two players are a couple in real life must not be separated, or their game will suffer ?

Well, that's a new theory to me, perhaps coaches from now on have to take it into account when they pair up XD players. But, frankly, I don't buy it though I accept that any two players who can't get along in real life will somehow let it affect their badminton partnerships, quite difficult to avoid it, and that not only in XD but also MD and WD; still, not quite the same as what you're driving at.

2. gelopisan

gelopisan Regular Member

A guy like ZN should not go thru life worrying about having no date.
    How do you like this one? Zeng Chunlei, volleyball player also ex classmate. [​IMG][​IMG]

3. Nine Tailed Fox

Nine Tailed Fox Regular Member

Defensively, she looks rather weak.

In attack, i can see some scope for love if she can sort out her movement around the waist area specifically.

4. gelopisan

gelopisan Regular Member

Nice observations. Like your double entendre la.

5. GingerCorslette

GingerCorslette Regular Member

Did anyone catch Zhang Nan's trick shot at the first MD game yesterday against Hong Kong? How do you do that, technically speaking?

6. GingerCorslette

GingerCorslette Regular Member

@42:05 into this video. 14-16 in the second game.

7. Nine Tailed Fox

DUDE, you are World And OLYMPIC CHAMPION. In a discipline, you would have never imagined playing 5 years back.

[​IMG]

lippro likes this.
  8. Yoji

Yoji Regular Member

Cant say anything other than he is really good, best in the world that play XD and MD.

During his formative years, he is paired with ZYL so that helped him a lot. Success brings confidence. He is calmly personified.

9. Devendra

Devendra Regular Member

Student
    Frankly, Justin, CBA is the greatest talent destroyer the world has ever known.

Like they destroyed talents of so many extremely good players, due to their carelessness, recklessness, and complete idiocy.

Remember the time when Bao Yixin and Tang Jinhua were winning almost everything in world badminton. Or that Bao Yixin and Tang Yuanting won both the tournaments that they were entered into?

Bao Yixin was so exceptional, I was beginning to think that she will even surpass Zhao Yunlei, indeed everyone was.

But CBA squandered her. Completely!

They were so reckless that they didn't decide their Women Doubles pairing even until mid season in the Olympic qualifying period. Just before that, CHN ladies were winning all WD titles with all kinds of pairings.

10. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Well, the constant reshuffling of WD well into the Olympic cycle period was a mistake, but I'm sure it wasn't done intentionally to destroy any talented players. And CBA, LYB and company didn't bargain for nor expect the love triangle, ZYL-TQ-ZN, to erupt at the worst of time to disrupt their OG lineup.

Life is unpredictable, uncertain, is full of ups and downs; human affairs are the most difficult to handle. We all have to learn from our mistakes and, most importantly, avoid making the same mistakes. It costs Li Yongbo his entrenched position as Head Coach in CBA, the price he paid for it though it's not entirely his fault.

On the whole, CBA has a long history of successes, achievements and accomplishments that far outweigh their failures, disappointments and short5comings . And, no,they are not going to rest on their laurels and still want to forge ahead to greater heights in future.

11. Devendra

Devendra Regular Member

Student

Man, of course no body does that intentionally to lose. If it was intentional, it would have been sabotage, and a crime; not carelessness, recklessness, and arrogance.

Also, the whole triangle aside, they made a WHOLE lot of different mistakes.

Starting from discipline:

WS:

China used to be so dominant here, that most big finals used to be all China affairs. But now it is not even in contention. What happened?

1. Chen Jin-
      Chen Jin as a player owes half of his acheivements to Lin Dan and other players who propped him up. He never was anything but a player who would just run around on the court endlessly.
      But they kept giving him chance for full 3-4 years, until the top line was totally demolished.
    2. Wastage and Ill development of Young Talent
      CHN never let its players compete internationally, and excel.

MS:
    1. Where is China's young up and coming line?
      After Chen Long there is no player who seems capable right now to take the mantle of being like Chen Long or Lin Dan.
    2. Where are the players like Song Xue etc.?
      CBA has been EXTREMELY poor at managing and nurturing talent.

WD:
    1. This is the grossest feat of incompetence in World Badminton history.
    2. CHN was SO strong in this event that they could have formed partnership between any one of the top 6 WD players and stuck with it, and they would have won both Gold and Silver. But ultimately for the first time in history they didn't win anything in WD.
    And on and on it goes.

The MOST significant thing that I see is that there are no true champions being born these days.

There was this batch of players: Cai Yun, Fu Haifeng, Lin Dan, Wang Yihan, Zhang Ning, Xie xingfang, Yu Yang, Wang Xiaoli, Zhao Yunlei, Zhang Nan, Chen Long.

These are all exceptional players, with a champion mindset.

Today's CHN players seem to be relaxed, complacent, unmotivated, unwilling to eat bitter.

12. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Chinese badminton happens to be in a down cycle the past few years as described by you ably, nobody denies that and the problems concerned. That after more than a decade of magnificent achievements when CHN threatens to be dominant after the LOG clean sweep.

The good thing is CBA, the coaches and management, are fully aware of the issues, not in denial nor avoiding talking about it among themselves. We can see both Xia Xuanze and Zhang Jun working hand in glove with each other to resolve whatever problems facing them and overcoming the obstacles as best they could since taking over the running of CBA less than a year ago.

I trust you agree that it's not all doom and gloom for Chinese badminton. Somehow, I see the Chinese at junior level showing a lot of promise and they are the future of Chinese badminton. Let the future tell.

13. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

For CHN WS in the doldrums, I attribute it to , one, Li Xuerui's injury that laid her off for a year; two, both Wang Yihan and Wang Shixian suddenly quitting at the same time leaving a big gap to be filled by the younger cohort who are not ready to assume the mantle yet.

Thus the transition, the succession process, is problematic as the youngsters, Sun Yu, He Bingjiao, Chen Yufei, the latter two barely out of the junior circuit, not to mention Chen Xiaoxin, are being thrust to the forefront when they are obviously not up to it at this time.

And once you carelessly lost the clear edge over your rivals and rising threats, it opens the floodgates for many others to follow suit in beating the Chinese WS players who are inexperienced, immature and unstable. For example, He Bingjiao in 2016 rose quickly, capturing two SS titles and 1 GPG , all in two consecutive months, and just as quickly peter out, and until today has not recovered from it.

Wang Yihan was so impressed by HBJ that she singled her out as the future superstar and acknowledged it was time for she herself to retire then.

At the just concluded Glasgow WC, the 19-year-old Chen Yufei unexpectedly rose to the occasion to be the only bright spark in the gloom of CHN WS. Who knows, it may well signal the turnaround of CHN WS in the months and years ahead.

14. samkool

samkool Regular Member

too pre-occupied to work
    in 2010, 2011 & 2012 china swept the majors (wc & og).

from a fans point of view i don't ever want to see that again. it's takes the fun & excitement out of watching.

one country (team) dominating for too long is bad for a sport.

15. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

http://sports.qq.com/a/20170904/038039.htm

Zhang Nan says he is going to persist in aiming for another two Olympics, Tokyo 2020 and Paris 2024 !

Zhang Nan is age 27 now, born 1st Mar 1990, by Tokyo 2020 he will be 30 and by Paris 2024 he will be 34. Why not ? If Lin Dan and Fu Haifeng could do it at around that age, why not him, he explained.

As for whether he will continue to do double duty in MD and XD all the way, he has no definite answer yet. " At the moment, I haven't given it much thought, just feel that my overall condition can still carry on dong it. Perhaps in future if I find the going tough, I'll consider giving up." [He didn't say which discipline he would retain or prefer - Justin].

16. Nine Tailed Fox

Zhang Nan has told his coaches that he doesn't want to play with Li Yunhui.

He will choose one from the 'B' squad.

17. Nine Tailed Fox

Breaking News | Zhang Nan has chosen Lin XuanXuan as his other half.

18. boon_keng

boon_keng Regular Member

Brother, you're talking xd new partner or procreation partner?

19. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Appreciate if you can cite your source of information. Zhang Nan's split with Li Yinhui was already making the rounds lately, not surprising to me.

20. Nine Tailed Fox

IMG_20171007_234453.jpg

Justin L likes this.