I wish for peace in these threads

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by azabaz_ipoh, Dec 3, 2007.

1. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

I'm afraid I won't have the time to maintain it. Besides, if I'm not wrong, someone may have already started it, mostly for the individual CHN players, that I've seen. Anyway, what I'm doing here is modest , enough for me, and there are eighty over thousand members in this forum, much better reach.

2. Devendra

Devendra Regular Member

Student
    There are accounts of Chinese players on Twitter which are largely maintained by their Indonesian fans, some of which I follow, and they really have no additional information about Chinese badminton.

Most of them don't even communicate in English but in Indonesian.

3. Devendra

Devendra Regular Member

Student
    Also, it would hardly take any extra time. You are already doing the bulk of work of translating and following badminton. Isn't it better to perhaps directly influence the badminton community instead of fuming every now and then.

I remember talking to HK vittinghus on Twitter, he was complaining about the world championship match xd semifinal, an all China match, which many people alleged to be fixed. I pointed out to him that I though critical on any such mischief, am highly careful to make such presumptions after I watched Wang xin retiring from injury, when just the moment back I was cursing her for what I perceived as time wasting techniques.

4. rahuldarga

rahuldarga Regular Member

IT
    I'll disagree with you. Although, it may look like everyone trying to corner one person here but it goes to quite a few people especially two, form each side, who I will not name. Some people here hate calling a spade.... a spade. Instead they indulge in a mindless defense, protecting their favorite player no matter what and expressing their dislike towards the players of a certain 'country' by choosing words carefully and eloquently without gravely offending anyone and not offending anyone is a good thing. Well, at least there is no name-calling nor are there any derogatory statements. But veiled verbal salvos will be tolerated only a few times, if it persists then people start disliking it. "Every time when a Chinese player or an Indian or any other country player looses, its because of either an injury or some reason but not because the opponent's superior game" is the mindset that is not appreciated on this forum. Everyone here wants to indulge in discussions constructively. You can say that everybody is entitled to their own opinion and its their prerogative. Sure, which is why they are still in this forum and not thrown out yet.

They are many other people in this forum who accept constructive criticism rather than getting aggravated unnecessarily.... Everyone would appreciate it if all of us would participate without any biased views. You can definitely support your favorite player and agree to disagree. You don't have to be compelled to represent an under-represent or a minority because moderators will take care of that. If anyone goes out of line then the mod's will throw them out.

Of late discussions have turned so sour that some regular members, who love the sport so much, have stopped participating in discussions all together and I know at least two of those people.

#144 rahuldarga, Nov 22, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2014
  5. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    [MENTION=63277]rahuldarga[/MENTION]

Thank you. From a personal view of one of the mods, this is exactly what happens. There are people intelligent enough to know better. Yet, they would rather play mind games and try to antagonise other forum members.

Even the mods get veiled salvos directed at them. Some posters claim the forum is boring because the mods have banned the interesting members - well, forum members get themselves banned getting personal or deliberately trying to invoke tensions. As you say, it is bound to happen a bit but there are limits.

Members do say things such as "I'm going to be next to banned" or "I better not say more or you'll know what will happen to me". One even wrote openly "you can delete my posts - you are a mod". It's quite sad to see such things written. Our agenda is only to promote badminton. Nevertheless, I do believe we have at least done a decent job. Despite the complaints, this badminton forum has survived for so many years. Other forums died because of the mudslinging going on by their forum members - one may interpret that as a sign that moderation is something that is necessary, though hopefully used sparingly.

6. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

All very well said, but trying to play Father Christmas is not the way to go, in trying to please everyone, you often end up pleasing no one.

A fact is a fact, is a fact. Embrace the truth and it will set you free. Freedom of expression should not be taken for granted, it comes with a price - we ought to cherish it but not abuse it. Dissenting views should be allowed, however unpopular as long as it doesn't cross the line, such as committing slander/libel, uttering obscenities , inciting hatred or crime, and violating the rights of others. I'd much rather the moderators err on the side of tolerance than caution. While it is important to maintain the quality and standard of a public forum to keep it viable and popular, we should also avoid sanitizing it too much to make it look clean and healthy to the extent that it becomes staid, lacking in lively,robust but cordial debates which stir our imagination and open our minds to see things profoundly instead of just playing it safe and toe the line set arbitrarily and inconsistently.

It's human nature to show bias, prejudice and favouritism, almost impossible not to, but there should be limits based on fairness, decency, sensibility and mutual respect. Anything extreme, fanatical, bigoted or even dogmatic should be a no-no. That's where a good enlightened moderator comes in.

As for the need to speak up for any under-represented group or minority, it is best for them to do so themselves , to rely on themselves, than to leave it to the moderators whose role is to moderate, not take sides or support any group or individual. The moderator's job is more a negative one of preventing anyone from going overboard in attacking the said group but not a positive one of presenting their views and positions adequately. If you don't represent yourselves, you don't feel enabled, empowered. Unless it is something beyond us,we all know what it's like to rely on others too much, we soon begin to feel uncomfortable, lose our confidence, dignity and proper pride on top of failing to be what we really are or want to be.

Absolutely, we all want peace, the world needs peace more than at any time in history, what with the threat of nuclear holocaust. In this forum, for peace to prevail, everyone has to play their part conscientiously. At the same time, I believe nobody wants peace at the expense of justice,love and truth whilst we must constantly be patient, respectful, considerate, sincere, honest, tolerant,magnanimous, forgiving, be willing to give and take, to agree to disagree, but, most of all, be truthful. Peace cannot be had just by wishing for it without actively working for it or we end up paying lip service, skeptical and cynical of others. First and foremost, Peace must begin with oneself, from our hearts.

7. opikbidin

opikbidin Regular Member

Student
    We should be fair. A competetion should be fair. Yes you are sorry for Wang Xin for her injury, but it shouldn't affect your judgement. She is playing a competitive game and cannot be afforded time wasting so she can lessen her injury burden.

That's like saying you can't play to person's weakness.

8. blabl

blabl Regular Member

Dear all Bcers,

I totally agreed that peace must be maintain in this forum. Very important peace indeed. Sometimes things can turn out to be very sour and ugly in the forum. Blatant attacks can be found and there are time whereby a Bcer is being cornered to one place and being attacked non stop. So think first before we right.

Do not post remarks that can lead to heated arguments and do not post any controversial issue. There is no point to win the argument because we may end up losing a friend.

After reading all the comments in this thread, i would like to thank @Justin L for all the good work that he has done in this forum and for his great contribution to let us know the truth and true facts about China badminton. @Justin L thank you so much for your endless translation for the Chinese articles in this forum. So finally thank you @Justin L

9. blabl

blabl Regular Member

Dear all Bcers,

So for his new year 2016 let us all start the year wisely by posting only good things in the forum. It is okay to ask and post questions here but please refrain from making any personal remarks that can lead to arguments. Thank you and have a nice year ahead.

This year will be my busy year so I will seldom have time to post in this thread anymore. Goodbye.

10. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

You're most welcome. And sincere thanks to you too for setting a good example yourself. At the same time, I earnestly hope more people would help out in the translation work, not only from Chinese but also from Japanese, Korean, and other non-English articles, to provide us interesting,useful information, improve communication, and enhance mutual understanding.

Let's have positive peace, everyone.

11. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    I think you misunderstand. Devendra, in his words, was saying he thought Wang Xin was time wasting (and then trying to get an unfair advantage). In reality, she really did suffer an injury that ended her career. It was his premature misjudgment of the situation that led him to be initially highly critical which was undeserving. She wasn't time wasting at all. She had a ruptured Anterior Cruciate Ligament injury in the match. Get the facts right and you can make a proper and fair judgement.