China Open on Supersports

Discussion in 'Hong Kong / Chinese Taipei / China Open 2003' started by Bbn, Dec 16, 2003.

1. Bbn

Bbn Regular Member

Announced on web, China Open finals,4 hrs on Sunday 21/12/03.

Msia Astro only.

2. Han

Han Regular Member

Engineer
    Got it, thanks

Thanks for your info and hope there's no last minute changes :)
    Any idea about Copenhagen Master Invitation on Astro?

3. JR

JR Regular Member

Professional Badmintonplayer
    Copy

Could anybody by chance record the men´s doubles finals from China Open for me and send a copy to me??

I´ll pay for the freight either by check or maybe a t-shirt or something else??

Hope it can be done!!

Kind Regards

Jonas

4. Bbn

Bbn Regular Member

To JR

OK JR I will give you on DVD free.Contact you later fr address.

As fr old vinyl records, contact me next time you come to Msia, I can take you to

a bazaar where they trade them.

5. JR

JR Regular Member

Professional Badmintonplayer
    Thank You

Thank You very much Bbn!!

I´m really grateful!!

Can you send an email so that I´ve got your adress when the Malaysian Open is held next year??

Jonas

6. Han

Han Regular Member

Engineer
    Backup plan

If Bbn can't deliver, I am more than willingly to be the backup plan in delivery. Thanks Bbn for the schedule info, deeply appreciated and Go Jonas in coming Copenhagen Master invitation, take it easy when play against my countrymen Lee/Choong :)

7. Bbn

Bbn Regular Member

China Open

4 hours to go. Looks like rain.

i hope rain doesnt mess up the match transmission, otherwise its over to you, Han.

Jonas, pls PM me as I' ve emailed ur page but no reply.

Need ur address and also my Email.

8. Bbn

Bbn Regular Member

Conversion

To Han,

Are u able to advise me on conversion?

I am having a lot of problems with old tapes, either

1) Dirty even after cleaning

2) Tape recorded from different machine gives different output from source

3) Digital trackers very stable but display white lines. Non tracking machine stable

but cause a lot of errors in digital output.

Right now I have to discard 1 disc for every 2 recorded because of poor picture,

lost frames, etc etc. Is this common?

Luckily I am using 700 Mb discs.

9. Han

Han Regular Member

Engineer
    Not much help

Hi Bbn:
    I assume you're converting to VCD using the 700MB disc from vhs? How do you do the converting? By using video capture card on computer or dedicated VCD recorder? The first thing I would do is to make sure all these blemishes are not from the source(vhs tapes), so just play those old tapes on VCR which hooks directly to TV, if blemish already there then it's the source else is your VCD recorder/capture card. If video capture card is use, skip frame is quite a common scenerio unless you have the top of the line computer with at least a ATA100 speed hard drive. Make sure you do not run anything else on the computer while capturing those frames.
    No sure how I can advise you about cleaning the old tapes, I clean my VCR using Sony cleaning tape but you shouldn't have to do it that often as you stated.
    My conversion is done straightly using DVD recorders with good results, once converted, I use computer to do editing and re-compiled into typical DVD format similar to the movie with motion menu.
    Not sure I am being helpful here, if your China Open did not come out good due to the weather let me know, may be Malacca is sunny :)

10. Bbn

Bbn Regular Member

-

Thanks Han, luckily this time there was no interuption.

Your tips useful. I am using a dedicated set made in Taiwan and

distributed in US called "Liteon".

Can only convert to SVCD, even then cannot play on my Panasonic DVD-Rw, Ram

player.I wonder whether Denmark machines can read my Svcds and whether their PAL is the same.

11. Bbn

Bbn Regular Member

-

Hi Han,
    In case u need any parts of matches disrupted by weather pls PM me,

i can record parts on SVCD on NTSC or PAL , maybe u can edit them.

I'll just ask fr exchange of 1 or 2 matches.

Not pre 90s cds though, I rather hold on to them like antiques.

12. Han

Han Regular Member

Engineer
    Conversion

Hi Bbn:
    Thanks for your kind offer and I'll let you hold on to your precious pre-'90 classic. However, do consider releasing those to badminton fan soon so we all can learn few things about our badminton history. I must admit, my badminton knowledge only goes back as far as Yang Yang, Morten Frost, Zhou Jianhua era. I haven't seen the Great Rudy Hartono(9 times ALL England Champion?) in action during his prime. I still think with my Armotec700, I may dethrone him ... :)
    Jonas should not have problem reading your PAL video, in my opinion. However, I think it's better to convert into VCD then SVCD for compartibility issue as not many players are built with SVCD capability. Further more, if your source is in vhs(330 line), SVCD or even DVD will not make your image better(in theory) except occupy more disc space. You should experiment both VCD and SVCD and see is there any noticeble difference before deciding your massive conversion.
    You may want to email me at han_cheong@yahoo.com in the future before Kwun send us any warning email :)
    Han

13. Bbn

Bbn Regular Member

-

Received ur PM.

I will continue to restore and convert old footage before 1990.

If nobody values them, after abt 5 years I intend to

donate the lot to some sports museum in China , so that they can be viewed

on the premises.

14. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Re: -

Maybe one day, I'll go up to Malacca (didn't know you live there, otherwise would have contacted you previously when there) and get copies of some of the old tapes from you.

I missed the China Open. Hope the weather didn't spoil your fun.

15. Bbn

Bbn Regular Member

-

Has to be some misunderstanding, Loh.

I live in Kuala ;umpur, Han Lived in Melaka.

I did not say anything about giving away any footage.

I put in a thread in "marketplace" that I am converting pre-1990

footage into super VHS (close to DVD and easily cpied unlike DVD).

I've spent thousands purchasing equipment and tracking all over the world

for old tapes and spent hundreds of hours restoring damaged tapes.

I am giving the opportunity now fr people to own some of these Svcds, at a reasonable price (they can be copied easily and traded.)

at least it is better than TV stations or the copyright holder fr IBF they charge US 100$ per minute and need you to buy the licence.

I can never get back my expenditure but at least it will pay for blank discs.

In 5 years I have to donate the cds to some museum fr safe-keepng, in the wrong hands they will end up lost and unavailable forever.

16. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Bbn

Yes, its a misunderstanding indeed, but a pleasant one. Because you have given us some account of what a badminton fanatic (in positive terms, of course) you are! Really incredible the extent you go through to obtain the 'gems', especially the amount you have to spend on your hobby.

During early October this year, our badminton team, unfortunately highly depleted of good players, went up to KL to engage in the annual PAUM Games between the alumnis of the universities of Malaysia and Singapore. Predictably, we got a trouncing. But our KL counterparts made up by bringing us for a drink at the Lake Club, which we thoroughly enjoyed because two musicians were playing 'oldies' throughout the evening. Next year, when your guys come down to Singapore, I'm sure we will be able to give them a tougher fight.

We also took time off to visit the brand new Times Square, strangely located in the vicinity of the old Pudu Prison. Maybe I should pay you a courtesy call the next time I visit KL and you can show me all the tapes of the old masters and your impressive set of equipment.

17. Bbn

Bbn Regular Member

-

Unfortunately Loh I never went to University Malaya.

Times Square is a disaster, conceived in a time of plenty,

trying to survive challenging realities.White Elephant.

You probably met Tan Aik Huang in Lake Club, seems he's always there.

Let me know Loh if any elderly Singaporeans want to restore their old tapes

I'll convert FOC fr them and return copy to them.I believe people like Lee Kin Tat

also has some valuable stuff.

18. Han

Han Regular Member

Engineer
    Further clarification

Han's hometown is in Melaka but currently reside in Milpitas, California. I only take a trip back to Meleka once every 2 years. My video source is from Melaka and then mail to USA. May be we all can meet one day in KL and you guys can educate me the history of badminton and introduce me some of the badminton famous players? Looking forward for that day.

19. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Re: Further clarification

Thanks Han for introducing yourself. Yes, I'm certainly past my prime and occasionally reminisce about our past badminton heros.

As you know many S'poreans like to venture to Malaysia for short trips, especially during weekends and invariably they will head for the nearest post, JB, then Melaka (Malacca) and of course, KL. Nowadays they make things very much easier. An aircon bus ride to Melaka or KL is comfortable, with refreshments thrown in, and relatively cheap, too. I'm sure you must have noticed during your regular trips home, that Melaka has changed quite a bit, the physical landscape I mean, with developments sprouting here and there.

Are you one of the many Asians who first studied in the US and then got the green card to reside and work thereafter?

Destination KL - yes, certainly a good idea! Let me know when you are aready.

20. Bbn

Bbn Regular Member

-

I too would like to see Rudy Hartono, Liem Swie King, Tjun Tjun, Sven Pri

etc winning the AE in their prime or playing in the 1970, 1976,1979 T cp

but I know it will never work out, even though I am willing to pay high prices fr them.

The people keeping the films and tapes know that it is not financially viable to

embark on such a project because :

1)There is limited interest.

2) People will not support the project etc etc.

So these things will just become sth in memory.