Badminton commentators - what do we think of them?

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Mini Me, Aug 21, 2008.

1. whatAHassle

whatAHassle Regular Member

I like : Gillian Clarke, Morten Frost, Steen Pederson, even if they do repeat themselves and use the same expressions.
    Like Gill's : "How did he/she get that ! ", "Plum on the line", etc...
    It is still interesting to listen to.

Charmaine Reid is a bit cringy sometimes but she is alright.

I think that guy...Paul Hand (I think his name is) pretty bland. (no offense to him)

2. ralphz

ralphz Regular Member

I think if it is to have commentary, it needs a commentator like John McEnroe but that knows badminton..

I find Tennis has some very poor english commentators similar to badminton.(I understand "david mercer" does both sports). I once heard during Tennis Commentary John McEnroe and some boring old English guy, and the boring old English guy starts trying to fill time by rattling off some stats that he either memorised or read off a sheet. McEnroe questioned him on that, and succeeded in stopping him.

As for the female commentator that keeps saying she can't believe it, I have to mute it. (I don't care whether she is being honest and is really caught by surprise all the time, not expecting them to get it, or if she is just saying it to play the audience, or both. I find it too annoying)..

In America everybody has a gun so I don't know if they have this problem?

But I see these English commentators seem to be popular with some even on this forum.

The best badminton videos are the ones where the camera is still, and the stuff between shots is cut out. And it's action. And you don't need somebody hyping it or trying to hype it.

#162 ralphz, Sep 24, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2019
    scamp likes this.
  3. Phonjomtien

Phonjomtien New Member

I think that the badminton commentators that have had long term connections with the game, such as Gillian Clarke, Morten frost, Steen pedersen, add value for the viewer when watching a match. The so called sports commentators have little understanding of the game, tactics or even the rules, and seem to be fixated on providing a non stop commentary full of unnessary hyperbole and irrelevant and often incorrect statements. It is very annoying having to listen to Morten frost explaining the service rules or the Hawkeye challenge system to his fellow commentator. Surely the professional commentators should be required to understand the rules, even if they have no idea about tactics, before going on air. These commentators tend not to announce their names with any clarity and it would be sensible for BWF to have a commentary feedback page where the public can give their views. The female Charmaine has a good understanding of the game but her commentary style is grating, some guy called Paul has little idea about the game, tactics or rules, with commentary filled only with exaggeration and hyperbole. So for me get more experienced commentators who understand to add valued commentary periodically rather than those that seem to think verbose irrelevant commentary is key.

Sent from my vivo 1807 using Tapatalk

nizze, LenaicM, Fidget and 2 others like this.
  4. scamp

scamp Regular Member

I just watched the semi-finals of the Spain Masters. It was great because the commentator knew his job, i.e. commenting! A nice contrast to those double act commentators who like to have long ongoing conversations with each other during the match and at every break talk over the coach's words so we can't hear what tactics they're saying. really annoying.

Sumanth99 likes this.
  5. shadishv

shadishv Regular Member

Gillian, Morten and Steen are quite good. Steen tends to mumble at times and so gets lost. But all the above three, in my opinion are good.

Sir Paul- is plain verbal diarrhoea.

Phonjomtien likes this.
  6. Ouchie

Ouchie Regular Member

I wish the Gillian Q&A moments she has with Morten and Steen were easier for us mere mortals to play along.
    - Which mixed pairing lost in the final in the 1987 Indonesian open?
    - UUUHHHHHMMMMMM

- When was the last time a non-left handed, European with a pet dog won the ladies singles at the All England?
    - UUUUHHHHMMMMMM

Dangho and Fidget like this.
  7. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

nizze likes this.
  8. AYearOnTour

AYearOnTour Regular Member

I had commentator Steen Schleicher Pedersen as a guest on my latest podcast episode of A Year On Tour With Vittinghus. So if you want to know more about him, his coaching career, his view on international badminton and his commentating experiences, you could give it a try:

You can find the episode by clicking here.

9. Fidget

Fidget Regular Member

It's going to be a sad day when Gill Clark hangs up the microphone. She is not perfect. (Who is?) But her voice has been associated with badminton, in my head, for so long that it has the same calming, hypnotic effect as the ocean lapping the shore.

Steen Pedersen is like that quiet guy from your school days who might seem boring but has a way of letting lose a line that makes you laugh.

Morten Frost is like that really smart acquaintance who is full of insight and is friendly enough at a BBQ -- but you're not sure you'd want to have as your professor or your dad because of the super-high expectations he'd have.

BTW, is it not rather freaky to have Hans-Kristian Vittinghus on BadmintonCentral as @AYearOnTour? :)

Cheung, nizze, decoy and 4 others like this.
  10. CaesarZ

CaesarZ Regular Member

Gill is as close to perfect as we will ever get to a badminton commentator. Her profound knowledge of the game and her priceless expressions is what I come to expect to hear when I watch a game. Steen and Morten are also great commentators in their own right and great when paired up with Gill.

The cringiest and worst commentator I have ever heard is Charmaine Reid. For someone that is an ex-professional player of the game (and not a very good one), she can't commentate to save her life. Hearing her shallow and amateurish commentary, you would never have guessed she knows anything about badminton - it is that bad!

#170 CaesarZ, May 14, 2020
    Last edited: May 14, 2020
    Fidget likes this.
  11. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

Video interview of Gill with Badminton talk.

Part 1 :

Part 2 :

Fidget likes this.
  12. Baddyforall

Baddyforall Regular Member

How could we digest if Gill Clarke retire from her job..?
    We used to hear her voice for so long that even when we sleep and dreamt about a rally with a fine winning shot, our mind voice talks in her tone..Lol
    Such a dominant figure in Badminton Circle.
    Talking about her , i thought of posting a video about some of her famous phrases while commentating.

#172 Baddyforall, Jan 19, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2021
  13. nizze

nizze Regular Member

Steen's interview

Sent from my 2201123G using Tapatalk

14. ralphz

ralphz Regular Member

I lose patience with Gill Clark, she just seems to want to fill the air with her voice. Somebody once put her commentary on another sport and it worked the same. Any random old lady could do it , going "oooh......".. I think a lot of the people that like her just like the sound of an English accent. She's identifiable for being a broken record. I only know of her 'cos I looked to find out her name 'cos if I know what games she commentates on then I can watch other ones or mute it in advance..

From the sound of things at least Charmaine Reid sounds amusing. Can you link to any clips of her commentary? How do you even know who the commentators are. When I watch a game on youtube they don't introduce themselves.

15. scamp

scamp Regular Member

Too many commentators (of various sports) talk to much and it sometimes becomes a nonstop narrative. The hallmark of a good commentator is knowing when to COMMENT and when to SHUT UP !