Badminton commentators - what do we think of them?

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Mini Me, Aug 21, 2008.

1. huangkwokhau

huangkwokhau Regular Member

sales & design
    Actually being a commentator is to get viewers get excited....if there are 2 commentatos, one is serious and the other has to be hillarious/funny...
    I have seen/heard like Ricky Subagya or IVana Lie commentuing INA Open or TC/UC......they are good and very knowledgable but it is just too plain...too serius....I think I prefer someone is a bit silly....hehe

2. jamesd20

jamesd20 Moderator

Construction
    I think you are talking about the wrong Guy. That guy is David Mercer from BBC. He has traditional british BBC accent. Is an ex tennis umpire, so cannot be the guy you guys are talking about.

I don't know whether Mercer is the one who commentates in Singapore a short Bio is here:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/tennis/wimbledon/bbc_coverage/2006648.stm

3. halvepizza93

halvepizza93 Regular Member

begging
    i think he's funny:D

4. agakarebatu

agakarebatu Regular Member

Just been following badminton (again) since Thomas-Uber Cup this year, so I don't know much about this guy. But I found him quite entertaining. His comments range from witty to silly, sometimes naive, but it's lively. I like him.

:)

5. jamesd20

jamesd20 Moderator

Construction
    He really gets into the game too (When GBR players play). When GBR played CHN in 1st round he was shouting and screaming near the end. When GBR won the match he shouted over the commentary "whoa I don't believe it" the microphone was almost distorting, made it exciting.

Like HKH says Commentators are there to make it exciting - exciting for those who know little, and not annoy those who know a lot!

6. agakarebatu

agakarebatu Regular Member

Hold on! Just to make it clear, we are talking about that guy who was paired up with Gill Clark at Thomas-Uber Cup, right?

7. halvepizza93

begging
    yes, my dear friend

8. Mini Me

Mini Me Member

gill clark was also a former top player, although not quite as successful as morten frost. i remember watching a video of her in the women's doubles final of the all england around 1990.

9. markham player

markham player Regular Member

medical
    I thought you are talking about LYB, the one I like to hate.

10. z3048018

z3048018 Regular Member

i too liked the commentary at the AE08, but found that this years final the crowd fell asleep...like Kwun said, no commentary is the best

11. pjswift

pjswift Regular Member

That guy used to be worse.I used to think he was commentating like machinegunfire for some horse racing---well, maybe badminton is fast enough to make him feel that way.For OG08, he toned down well enough but that could be because he had to commentate on table tennis most of the time and the only time he got to commentate on badminton, he was so happy and grateful he actually confessed he loved watching badminton so much.In Singapore , most of the badminton match commentary was handled by this one(don't know his name) with an American accent, quite pleasant, not the loud American type.He said very little; one can tell he's not knowledgeable about the technical aspects of badminton, rather he appreciates badminton. He called badminton a most beautiful sport and he's amazed at the sheer abilities and grace of top badminton players.In fact, midway at breaktime of the MD final, his comment was 'It's exhausting!'He couldn't believe that a match can turn 180* in 15 mins!Some matches held so much suspense they left viewers drained without them losing a calorie.
    But I like David Mercer. Thought he 's more a tennis commentator.He has this unique voice that makes one listen and is neutral without losing his enthusiasm.
    My favourite has to be Morten Frost, the one with the golden words.Most of his time is spent analysing, so when he commentates,one listens because he's likely to explain why a player is playing differently or in a certain way, etc.His commentary would be what I call 'maximum learning with minimum effort'.

12. jamesd20

jamesd20 Moderator

Construction
    I am getting confused about this thread. "That Guy" mentioned in the picture by the OP is David Mercer - Not an annoying commentator.

Can we talk about this other annoying guy by name....David might be reading nd take offence.

13. halvepizza93

begging
    ''it's like playing a racketsport on a trampoline.. that's got to be diffucult''

how's that for a comment:D

14. AlanY

AlanY Regular Member

wait a minute, are we sure we are talking about the same guy? surely, different stations have their own commentators!

15. jamesd20

jamesd20 Moderator

Construction
    As I said above no. The OP mistakenly mistook David Mercer for another annoying commentator with AUS accent.

Just as a reminder to everyone, the Picture in the first post is David Mercer & Gillian Clark, who worked for the BBC during the OG. Anyone who is commenting on OG coverage will not be talking about These two (apart from UK viewers, as BBC coverage was only available to people in the UK at the time.

Please can everyone comment on people by name, and not "that guy" as it is becoming a confusing and disjointed discussion. If you don't know the name of the person you wish to pass comment on, either find out first, or don't comment.

16. huangkwokhau

sales & design
    Let me find the thread..actually LOH had mentioned the name during TC/UC...I think he is used to be a rugby player.....

17. jamesd20

jamesd20 Moderator

Construction
    Thanks HKH............

18. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    Perhaps the title of this thread is not very appropriate. It is like hanging him in public without a fair trial. A more balanced title would be "What do you think of this commentor?".

19. jamesd20

jamesd20 Moderator

Construction
    Yes especially as the OP is mistaken in the first instance and this isn't the guy "we all love to hate"

I retitled it to encompass a discussion on different commentators as the discussion has mentioed a fair few.

20. huangkwokhau

sales & design
    According to LOH, his name is John Burgess...ex rugby player....