Badminton commentators - what do we think of them?

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Mini Me, Aug 21, 2008.

1. Mini Me

Mini Me Member

not sure if this is the right forum for this thread. i was on the other side of the stadium and i happened to notice gill clark with this priceless look on her face :D

that guy: blahblahblahblahblah
    that guy: i love the sound of my own voice! blahblahblahblahblah
    that guy: hooohoooo i'm such a funny commentator! blahblahblahblahblah
    gill clark: shut up!!!!!!!!! :mad:

so now whenever you hear that guy, you can put a face to his annoying voice :p

Attached Files:

2. george@chongwei

george@chongwei Regular Member

wahahahahahahahah:p:p:D:D:D:D

3. No one

No one Regular Member

to be honest I think that guy isn't so bad. I mean, at least he's enthusiastic. There are worse commentators--eg., that awful antipodean (and I say this as one myself) who did the commentaries for the European championships was horrendous. :mad: I mean, his commentary was really annoying because it was so wrong.

I know I've said this before but why is it that sports channels feel obligated to have someone comment even when they know nothing at all?? Is it so hard to believe that we, the audience, might actually be able to appreciate watching a match in silence?:confused:

Ok, rant over...:D

4. No one

No one Regular Member

I probably need to get out of the house more:crying::crying:

5. jamesd20

jamesd20 Moderator

Construction
    It is David Mercer, and he is actually pretty good as far as Badminton Commentating goes, he knows a bit about the game.

Remember it is his job to talk, so saying he likes his own voice is a bit harsh.

6. vching

vching Regular Member

Student
    David isn't that bad... I've heard worse... especially from the Chinese commentators that go yadayadayada all throughout. They probably talk 90% of the time, and 50% of what they say is wrong, and the other 50% is just stating the obvious.

7. volcom

volcom Regular Member

Zhao Jianhua is my fave, while David is brilliant in my books... makes all the matches absolutely enjoyable.

8. Mini Me

Mini Me Member

while i don't know if he's any good with other sports because i haven't heard him elsewhere, THAT guy is definitely my number 1 most hated badminton commentator. i don't have anything against him personally, i just don't want to hear him spout any more patronising crap about badminton.

9. jack200603

jack200603 Regular Member

Don't know if David is his name but definetely That Guy's Aussie accent has made it worse. Would be much better if he spoke English as close as Gill's.

10. Avatar

Smash down all clears!
    Clark is absolutely brilliant as a commentator. the best out of all the commentators in our sports. Zhao is my favourite Singles Pro player, but his commentaries is average. Most Chinese commentators from Mainland china is pretty knowledgable. The worst is the HK commentators... Some of them don't even know enough about the sport... i don't know what the heck they are doing... Chan Lim Chi from HK is a bit better as a commentator because as least she is knowledgable.

11. Avatar

Smash down all clears!
    btw, i also saw Gill Clark compete in a 1990 AE open final VHS video. She was vicious... it'll be nice if anyone can share that...

12. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

David Mercer isn't bad at all; you should try listening to Darren Hall: EVERY sentence opens with "absolutely". We have a prize each year for the closest guess to the number of "absolutely"s uttered by DH during the televised stages of the All England:D.

Gill Clark and Morten Frost made a brilliant team for this year's AE, and I wish we could have got him for the BBC Olympics commentary. Oh well...

13. Mini Me

Mini Me Member

david mercer's accent is most definitely NOT aussie. some bbc info about him here.

at the 2004 olympics there was an irritating commentator on aussie tv's badminton coverage. i remember her most excruciatingly patronising comment about badminton tactics was "you don't lift half court crosscourt, that's a no-no". i can just imagine her finger wagging at the tv audience.

14. modious

modious Regular Member

Yeah, that guy isn't that bad when compared to that person (officially known as that person?? :p) who did the commentary on the European Championships who got everything mixed up.

IMO, Zhao Jianhua, Gill Clark and Morten Frost are the best commentators currently. I thought Darren Hall is fine as well.

#14 modious, Aug 21, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2008
  15. george@chongwei

george@chongwei Regular Member

hasbullah awang is the best commentaries in badminton:p:p:p
    haha

16. modious

modious Regular Member

Lol, I don't really bother to know his name either. That is why I named him "that guy".
    Apparently, now he is officially known as that guy in BadmintonCentral thanks to me. :D :p

17. vching

vching Regular Member

Student
    Best of the all time best is Gill Clark. No doubt about that. "How did he manage to do that" :eek::eek::eek::D:D:D

Distant second is Morten Frost, for his acute analysis of the game, and partially because of the aura he exudes, being a top player himself once upon a time.

Hasbullah Awang takes my third spot. His enthusiasm and shouts which accompanies every point are unparalleled. Mostly, I like him because he brings back memories of better days. Thomas Cup 1992, I watched the recording of him commentating... He was practically standing up and screaming at the last few points.

18. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    they are all bad.

after this Olympics, going through the online streaming from NBC where there is no commentating, i much prefer to have zero commentating. nada. none at all.

if any commentating, the commentating from other BC members here in the forum is actually the best.

19. ThePlayer

ThePlayer Regular Member

I like That Guy. From the aceent, I though he is an Asian. Obviously not.

He is enthusiastic and funny.

20. bad_fanatic

bad_fanatic Regular Member

Day dream about being a Pro Badminton Player
    If Gill Clark is the lady that always commentate in the All England Open, I like it. I think she's better then all of the other commentators. I like what she said about Sigit Budiarto at one of the tournament where he did a jump smash or drop. She said, "It seemed like he climbed a ladder to get that shuttle."

I like it when she pair up with Morten Frost.

If David Mercer is the guy who always commentate at the Singapore open, I think he's funny. He might not be most knowledgeable about badminton, but the way how he's so enthusiastic about the game makes it that much better.

Well atlease I think they're a better commentator then Kevin Han.