Chong Wei doesn't deserve the silver medal

Discussion in 'Olympics BEIJING 2008' started by Gade supporter, Aug 17, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gade supporter

Gade supporter Regular Member

Instead it should have been Peter Gade, who should have won it. If you look at their matches against Lin Dan, it is obvious for anyone to see that Peter gave Lin Dan the most trouble.

2. Darien

Darien Regular Member

IT
    somehow, i agreed...hahaha...

3. jerby

jerby Regular Member

I'm a massive Gade fan, I really am.
    Peter was much smarter in dealing with the speed and power of Lin than Lcw.

But today, Lin played much better than he has ever done. Nothing Lee of Peter could've done...

I'd say Peter got unlucky with his draw, and deserved better. But with Lee's performance in beijing, he deserves silver.
    After all, before facing Lin. He had already beaten Ronald, Sony and Lee Hyun Ill...

4. Neji48972

Neji48972 New Member

xzc
    It's the same thing for Gade in 2000 and 2004. He lost to the eventual winner and it would seem that he was the toughest opponent for the Olympic champions of 2000, 2004 and 2008. It's a travesty that he will retire without any Olympic medal. C'est la vie.

5. Darien

Darien Regular Member

IT
    none of them are chinese players...thats why he can win...LOL:D

6. Vodude

Vodude Regular Member

General Sales
    Hey I agree Bro..

Somehow I see LCW not in his style.. not like Thomas Cup..
    LCW keep doing the mistake over and over.. not strategy like he used to do at Thomas Cup..

Man.... :(

7. Jinky

Jinky Regular Member

he deserved! he played well in previous match, just that he somehow lose control in the final. LD too pro edi...

8. jerby

jerby Regular Member

So, we're did Bao go in that draw?
    LHI beat Bao, Lcw beat LHI...

you can't beat players who already got knocked out...
    you can't beat players who are on the other side of the draw...

9. Inky2000

Inky2000 Regular Member

I don't think Peter can beat LCW should the duo meet at this OG, based on LCW's current form ... provided their don't meet at the final. LCW lost today simply because he was succumbed to the nerve. Same old stories for many past and present MAS players ... doing well all the way and than falling apart at the final step.

10. apontoh

apontoh Regular Member

Not really. LD simply didn't unleash his full abilities when meeting Peter because he knew he didn't have to. I think it's obvious that he came fully prepared to play LCW in the final, and it really did show. He (rightfully so) decided to take no chances against LCW, and as we all saw, he is simply a class of his own in terms of fitness, speed, attack, net play, and sheer determination.

11. markham player

markham player Regular Member

medical
    If LCW played PG todays, I would place my bet on LCW.

12. jerby

jerby Regular Member

I disagree,

Lin played his best game against Gade, he didn't hold back (applied a different tactic though)
    But, today was a final, and Lin is one of the rare individuals who plays better when under pressure, he reacts well to the crowd and the cheering.

This is the way I see it:
    -Lin derserved to win
    -Lee deserves his silver medal
    -Peter handled Lin better

But to say that, because peter played better against Lin Dan, he deserves a silver medal (Instead of a player who knocked out half of the worlds top 10) because he scored 13 more points than Lee, he earned a second place? I disagree

13. Neji48972

Neji48972 New Member

xzc
    The conjecture about Lin Dan not playing at full power against Gade is ludicrous. This is the Olympics for God's sake! LCW and PG have different playing styles. Naturally, LD would play them differently.

14. Badmintan

Badmintan Regular Member

True..Peter Gade is a vastly experienced player...and knows all type of style and how to adapt...and is consider a 'pace-setter' in badminton speak. But this style also plays a very tight game and is prone to mistakes....Peter made a lot of mistakes and earned Lin Dan a lot of easy points...Lin Dan simply step out of the way of 'out of court' shuttles.

Yes we don't see the kind of demolition given by Lin Dan to Lee Chong Wei. Peter Gade hardly lose at single digits. Peter also played a game against LCW in the Aviva Open 2008. Outcome was a straight set loss by Peter but he definitely forced LCW to play his game and Lee just made fewer errors.

I guess it's fate that Peter Gade met Lin Dan in the quarterfinals. He should have never lose to Ji Xinpeng in 2000. A what if scenario....but my bet would be Peter could beat Hendrawan and win the gold in 2000. Of course in 2004...Taufik was at his best....not even Peter could have beaten him.

Hope to see Peter play again....a classy and down to earth guy.

#14 Badmintan, Aug 17, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2008
  15. extremenanopowe

extremenanopowe Regular Member

Chief Coach. The best and still active.
    www.extreme-power.org or xtremexn.blogspot.com
    Anyone asking for a rematch on neutral ground ? hehe;) Without any stake of course. Personal glory... hehe.;)

16. brandon

brandon Regular Member

Lee definately did deserve the Silver. He did the best with what he had but in all truthfullness, as good as he is (especially his defense) he can never be as good as say a Taufik or Lin Dan at their peak, simply lack the power. Never will there be any doubt who's the best ever, when Lin Dan wants to and isn't acting over confident and arrogant, if he focuses, there's no one that can touch him, the skill the technique the shots, no one can do what he can, his level is so high and he deserves the respect and arguably the best player that ever played.

17. extremenanopowe

His compatriots like Yang yang and Zhao Jian Hua will want a rematch with him for sure...;)

18. brandon

brandon Regular Member

Peter always makes mistakes when he playes vs Lin Dan, but then again most do probably because they know they won't beat Lin on consistency and have to go for broke, that extra bit because if they don't they won't win. Great players will make you do that, same with LCW, he was going for it, all his previous matches LCW was solid as a rock, but vs Lin he knew he had to make a move and he was just out played.

19. extremenanopowe

Now this I agree with you. 'Ever' word will always open up a new can of worms. I bet Rudy Hartono is standing to fight LinDan now.

20. jamesd20

jamesd20 Moderator

Construction
    Lin Didn't even get into 3rd gear against Gade, and Gade never looked like troubling him to me....

If Gade had been in other side of draw he would have lost in same place. Face it Gade is finished competing for tournaments, and he has been for a long time.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.