Tan Chun Seang

Discussion in 'Malaysia Professional Players' started by Loh, Jun 5, 2007.

1. george@chongwei

george@chongwei Regular Member

i have no idea what are u trying to post here.:(

2. Jagdpanther

Jagdpanther Regular Member

Uni Student
    I think he means that one of them couldn't go to Beijing because he must attend his relatives' wedding. CMIW.

3. samuel882

samuel882 Regular Member

Tour Leader
    Its Zakry's relatives wedding
    Why did they send HTH/KCK instead if Gan/Lin; TBS/TWK to replace the fuzzies as sparring partners?

4. george@chongwei

george@chongwei Regular Member

hmm..saw tcs training with the national team as a sparring partner just now.

5. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    hmm...george...u saw at where???tv?

6. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    maybe rexy think that this pair can win in 2016 if badminton still held in OG...^^...

7. eaglehelang

eaglehelang Regular Member

Ants did mention that they're sending the younger players for exposure. Gan/Lin are 25. Hoon = 22, Khoo = 21/22?

8. Oldhand

Oldhand Moderator

Broadcast Systems Integration
    He saw it probably here :)

9. Dato A

Dato A Regular Member

GENERAL MANAGER
    i think The Fuzzy is frustrated for not being sent to play in the OG. If not because of that, they professionalism is too bad. Attending relatives wedding as an excuse not attending to as sparring partner in beijing?

Ridiculous.....

10. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Ban affects my livelihood, distraught shuttler says

About three years ago I was able to see TCS in action as a junior for the first time in Singapore. He was promising though a bit playful, thus he was given 'monkey' as his nickname though I think he was also a bit tricky with his shots as well.

But TCS has now given up top-notch badminton as it was reported he couldn't take the tough training anymore. It coincided with Hendrawan being the new coach for the backup squad. Whether this is the real reason is left to be seen.

TCS has regretted that after spending 7 years with BAM, he is now more or less banned from competitive badminton for prize monies for two years. In other words, he is jobless and can't even earn a living from competitive badminton. I suppose he can still coach. He is depressed, quite understandably. I hope he could find a way out of his impasse.

Here is the report:

Reuters India
    Sep 18, 2009

http://in.reuters.com/article/worldOfSport/idINIndia-42547120090918

By Ossian Shine

SINGAPORE (Reuters) - Malaysian badminton chiefs have stripped Tan Ching Seang of his livelihood by imposing a two-year ban on him for quitting the national squad, the player has claimed.

The 23-year-old wants to be able to compete and earn money in smaller international events at home, sanctioned by the Badminton Association of Malaysia.

The BAM imposed a ban earlier this week, however, after Tan ended his seven-year relationship with the national squad citing family problems.

A player cannot compete in international tournaments if they are not endorsed by their national body.

BAM say the move is in order to protect their squads and training programmes from players defecting to other clubs.

"The BAM have spent a lot of time, money and resources in grooming the players. It is time we review the premature exit of the players," BAM president Nadzmi Mohd Salleh told local media.

"We are giving him (Tan) time to sort out his personal problems. The door will be open to him after two years.

"Our reviews and actions will depend on a case-by-case basis. There can be cases when we will accept (players) decision without imposing any action on them."

In the mid-90s, BAM fined shuttlers who left the national body to join professional club Nusa Mahsuri.

Tan, however, said that he quit the national programme as he had tired of the rigorous training schedules but that he still wanted the chance to compete at lower-tier events.

"BAM's decision will affect my livelihood. I have sacrificed seven years with BAM and yet, when I leave, I am not assured of a job," he told Malaysia's Star newspaper.

"I was shocked with BAM's decision. I wanted to compete in smaller tournaments as well as the international meets held in Malaysia.

"I want to just enjoy the game and not go through the regimented training anymore."

11. Jagdpanther

Uni Student
    If he couldn't stand tough training, then why did he choose to be an athlete from the very start? :confused::rolleyes:

12. Badmintan

Badmintan Regular Member

The ban affects him from playing for other countries?
    i.e. Europe, USA, Singapore, Taiwan, Hong Kong :(.

He got paid peanuts now got no peanuts to eat. Sadlah.

I'm sure SBA can issue him an employment pass for a sparring job. :D
    Need high quality left handed sparring partner to simulate Super Dan.

#292 Badmintan, Sep 22, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2009
  13. eaglehelang

Cos also have to work part-time, if not, cannot survive. Reason not cos cannot stand tough training, one of it is cannot cari makan . Plus results not say good, all this we argue2 already in back-up thread. ;);)

#293 eaglehelang, Sep 22, 2009
  14. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    I think if he is dedicated enough, he will earn good money as a coach to juniors in Singapore. ;)

15. jug8man

jug8man Regular Member

MultiTasked guy, Stress Addict, Leisure Bum, mad c
    BWF tournaments is more of a 'passion' than a job / earning good money for at least 95% of badminton players out there.

You can make a better living as a 'sparring partner', coach/assistant, and professional player for Club leagues in Europe. and even in Singapore like Loh suggest ;)

Being banned from BWF tournaments does not directly effect a persons livelihood (if you are not a top player). It will more likely save you EXPENSES.

16. eaglehelang

Wah uncle, SBA will accept TCS as coach/assistant meh? I tot Spore standard for coaches very high one, must have this & that credential, win XXX no of titles.:D

17. Jagdpanther

Uni Student
    Coaching? Himself is a (no offense) so-so player, training youths to be world beaters? :rolleyes:
    He's at best become sparring partner...

18. LeeCW

LeeCW Regular Member

Engineer
    Bro, not every good coach must be a good player!;)

19. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Just my 2.25 ringgits input..

..after reading the above article, i just wonder:

- About the article part on "BAM say the move is in order to protect their squads and training programmes from players defecting to other clubs.", i just don't understand why BAM is so stringent on doing so? Like Jagdpanther mentioned, TCS is no LCW. So, would losing TCS to another club be considered a big loss to BAM?? In addition, by letting TCS decide his own future & fortune, BAM doesn't have to incur more expenses for TCS.
    - Unless BAM hasn't fulfilled their promises of sending and giving TCS enough chances to compete internationally, i'd understand TCS' complaints as legit.
    - Once accepted by BAM, what's the minimum number of yrs a player is required to stay under BAM? Anyone knows? I assume TCS had read the contract requirements/rules prior to him signing on with BAM 7 yrs ago.
    - This rule will make other prospective young/junior players think twice, if not thrice, in their aspiration of joining BAM.
    - If TCS is brave enough, come to U.S. lah. Join your other ex-compatriot, Lee Hock Lai, as one of the local coaches. Can compete in the local tourneys also lah, earn U.S. dollar...;):cool:

#299 ctjcad, Sep 22, 2009
  20. OneToughBirdie

OneToughBirdie Regular Member

engineer
    BAM is simply teaching TCS a lesson and heads-up warning to others who try the same stunt in future...what if the player is not a so-so player but a top player wanting to defect to another club and end up winning major honors for the other club and embarass BAM (you know cannot lose face-lah)...as for coming to US of A, good idea can get to earn US dollar and meet some 'old-fashioned American girls"....only if you can find any of them...hahaha!!!:p:D