Indonesia SS 2008: Day 6 (22 June -- FINALS)

Discussion in 'Indonesia Open / Thailand Open 2008' started by badMania, Jun 21, 2008.

1. d65up2

d65up2 Regular Member

Student
    agreed but please dun ask why we booed you ok????

2. MaLiq

MaLiq Regular Member

i have my arguments
    u have ur arguments
    n neither of us are gonna discuss it ok??

-world peace-:D

3. d65up2

d65up2 Regular Member

Student
    That won't happend...lol.

4. madbad

madbad Regular Member

5. badMania

badMania Regular Member

Okay...a late wrap up for the Djarum Indonesia Open SS 2008, since I was too tired to write one last night.

I only watched 3 matches....first up was the Men's Singles All-Indonesia Final. Simon Santoso played exceptionally well in the first-set, esp in the first half. That was probably Simon at his best, with his accurate placement shots which fooled Sony (even though Sony did have an early lead in this period). Simon eventually took the first set 21-19.

However, it went down pretty drastically in the second set, with Simon gifting Sony lots of cheap points. That certainly shows why he still has work to do in terms of his mental attitude. When he plays well, he certainly can beat the best players. However, when he's off, he can gift his opponents cheap pts consecutively. Witness that when he was leading Chen Jin in the second set, and also when he mentally broke down in the second set of last week's Singapore Open Final and yesterday in the second and third sets.

Simon did give some fight which made the scoreline a little more respectable at 21-14 to Sony in the second set, however, Sony made sure that didn't happen in the rubber-set. Simon was actually leading 3-0 when his trademark "mental collapse" basically meant Sony won 10 pts in a row. After that, u know who will eventually emerge as the winner. Sony Dwi Kuncoro won his (and Indonesia's) first Super Series title in the Men's Singles and more will be expected from him in the upcoming Beijing Olympics!

The third match was probably the easiest match for Team INA as Vita Marissa/Liliyana Natsir wasted no time in beating Japan's no 2 WD Satoko Suetsuna/Miyuki Mayuda in straight sets 21-15, 21-13; which means that they collected their 2nd Super Series titles as a pair. Incidentally, both titles were won when I was in Surabaya :D:cool: Both INA players were definitely on form and they duly repaid the huge support in the Istora Senayan with a convincing attacking display. A bronze will be a realistic target in Beijing.

6. badMania

badMania Regular Member

I hate to say this, but, I am afraid Mohd Fairuzizuan Mohd Tazari/Mohd Zakry Abdul Latif certainly would be worthy successors to Choong Tan Fook/Lee Wan Wan (which will be bad news for MD pairs of other countries) with yet another fast-attacking display yesterday. The in-form Fairuz/Zakry were relentless in their attack from the start and only a slight lapse of concentration when they were leading 17-14 in the first set that Tony Gunawan/Candra Wijaya made use of this short period of time to set up a 6-1 run and eventually took the first set 21-19.

Although disappointed in not taking the first set, the MAS duo was always focussed in their task and they were certainly more agile in Tony/Candra. From the moment they led 6-2 in the second set, this 4 pts advantage was basically kept and even extended to 19-12. Another lapse of concentration for the MAS pair let the veteran pair came back to the game to within 1 pt at 19-18. However, a service fault by Candra Wijaya gifted 2 match pts to the MAS pair, and they won the second set in the next pt, after a loose return by Tony.

The third set was basically in the same pattern as the second set and I had to give credits to Tony/Candra for being able to stay in the game until 6-6. From then onwards, the MAS pair launched their attacks and led 11-6 in the rubber-set. Tony/Candra were also visibly tired out and the MAS pair won this set pretty convincingly.

So, Zakry/Fairuz won their second Super Series titles in a row...a feat that matched Koo/Tan's achievements last year. On this form, I have to say they are playing much better than Koo/Tan, esp in terms of communications. They were encouraging each other, with high-fives when they won a pt and pats on the back when the chips were down. These are positive signs that Koo/Tan probably have to learn.

With the good performance of other MAS MD pairs like Hoon Thien How/Tan Bin Shen (SF in Indonesia Open), Gan Teik Chai/Lin Woon Fui (F in Singapore Open), and Khoo Chung Chiat/Tan Wee Kiong (SF in Singapore Open); Rexy will have many pairs to play around with, to determine who will be the next World Class pair.

7. badMania

badMania Regular Member

I didn't have the time to watch Maria Kristin's performance yesterday, but, I was constantly updated of the latest situation by Krisna. Thanks man :D

It was obviously another unbelievable display by the home player as she certainly exceeded every expectation in reaching the Final and even troubling Zhu Lin (the current World Champion) in a 78-mins marathon match. From what I gathered, Zhu Lin was basically wasting lots of time with her delays and was yellow-carded in the second set after she kicked the shuttle due to frustration :eek: Maria came short in the first set, losing it 18-21, but, she took advantage of the situation in the second set and seeing that Zhu Lin was wearing out, she certainly excelled in levelling the scores at 1-1, by taking the second set 21-17.

Too bad, the third set still belonged to Zhu Lin as she wrapped the match 21-14. However, a very positive signal from the Pelatnas's WS department. Now, Maria certainly will go out to a match facing any top 10 player with the mentality that she can also beat them!

Yet again, I couldn't help but noticing how much have Pelatnas's WS and WD have changed since the Uber Cup Runner-Up Finish. Susy Susanti certainly played a big role in terms of motivating the girls to a higher-level and I hope both Maria Kristin and Vita Marissa/Liliyana Natsir continue the never-say-die spirits to the Beijing Olympics and contribute a medal or two (any color will do)!

The MD department certainly has a lot to learn....esp Kido/Hendra. They still lacked situational awareness in crucial stages of the game (usually in the third set). Often times, they lost the rubber-set pretty easily (like this week against Tony/Candra), in the Swiss Open and Thomas Cup (against Jung/Lee). I was also disappointed and shocked with Kido's statement that he became less confident after all these losses :eek::cool: They are the World Champions and they HAVE BEATEN ALL the pairs going to the Olympics, except the one pair who is probably on a worse run than them currently.

8. KlasseE

KlasseE Regular Member

gdtv sports channel now featuring replay match of sony vs somon...then next zakry/fairuz vs tony/candra but will only last till 12:00 noon n remaining video to be replayed at 3:45 ~ 5:28 am early morning of June 24th
    time now 10:36 am June 23rd

9. arumdaun

arumdaun Regular Member

student
    ameeeeeeeeennnn...

GREAT SHOW YESTERDAY!FAIR GAME!NICELY DONE!!!!
    praise to simon and maria kristin, and hail to fuzzys (keep up the good teamwork, you're'll amazing)

hhhhhhhhh...have to go back to the good old normal life now..no more tournament..till the OG 08...

cheers!!!

10. badMania

badMania Regular Member

Not for some of us :p
    We still have the SCG Thailand Open GP Gold to contend with this week :eek:

11. badadum

badadum Regular Member

Best of luck to the INA JR squad and the Djarum team. Maybe we can win a title there.... ;)

12. arumdaun

arumdaun Regular Member

student
    of course..lucky you!!!im stuck here in jakarta...till im drown in my jealousness to you guys, whos going to Thailand Open and OG 08....hiehehehehiheehe

13. badMania

badMania Regular Member

A title is perhaps not reachable (as always in the Thai Open for the past few years) given the participation of China's top players...but...always looking for some morale-boosting upsets.

14. badMania

badMania Regular Member

I will probably stay out of Beijing for the time being and if I am not wrong, Hau-Ge will probably not go too (unless he changes his mind as always). Ants will probably go since he has a ticket (if I am not wrong ;))...as for fastdrop...not sure too :D

15. abedeng

abedeng Regular Member

Occupying Tall Buildings
    Arrived home only at 01:45 am Malaysian time last night, flight was delayed a bit .....

My take on the FINALS :

MS - The game was Simon's to take. Sony was actually more in distress upon completion of 1st game, but Simon's "cheap sale" points gave Sony a 2nd wind. Simon's attacks got looser and Sony's defences got tighter. But really, gifting 10 straight pts in the decider is criminal, to say the least. It does not help Simon's case for inclusion to the Olympics, though I still believe he is more deserving than Taufik at this point.

MD - A repeat of last year's semifinal, with similar results. For the 1st two games, the Uncles kept pace. They were superior in fast flat drives, and accurate at placements to baseline. Fuzzy pair, on the other hand, excel in hard attacks, and the Uncles' defence was exposed primarily at the sidelines.
    By the 3rd game, Uncles became tired and Fuzzy pair took the chance home. Best two rallies of the game came towards the end of the match, when Zakry did two deceptive cross-court placements. Fairuz was injured a bit after the match but it was worth it. Great stubborn resistance from Uncles.

WD - It was all for INA to take. Should have been an easier game than the scoreline suggests, but Vita has been struggling all tournament. Enter Lilyana, who took it upon herself to practically destroy the Japanese opposition with their, ahem, smooth legs ...... :p

WS - Only managed half of the match, had to leave midway through 2nd game. Maria provided great resistance and Zhu Lin was found wanting in stamina yet again. Unfortunately, Maria was still prone to making simple errors that allow Zhu Lin to come back in the game .... anyway, great effort and hopefully from now onwards, Maria (and Firda) will have a greater conviction to their abilities. Maybe add a bit of gamesmanship, more pace in the shots and awareness of the opponent's major weapon, the deceptive steep dropshot.

Special thanks to Hau-ge, Krisna and fastdrop for providing great companionship (+ VIP pass).

16. robin7

robin7 Regular Member

Dreamer
    Self-comforting huh... :rolleyes:

17. badMania

badMania Regular Member

Exactly...always good to have an opposing pair on a probably worse run (and perhaps condition) ;) If I am Rexy, I would choose Fairuz/Zakry...based on their excellent forms over the past 2 weeks and during Thomas Cup.

But hey, even Fu/Cai are also not in a good situation themselves, having lost early in the All-England and Swiss Open; and lost to the one pair they have beaten easily all these while in the Thomas Cup.

Even the seemingly unbeatable Jung Jae Sung/Lee Yong Dae got beaten by Guo Zhendong/Xie Zhongbo and Lars Paaske/Jonas Rasmussen over the past 2 mths. Guo/Xie themselves lost to lower-ranked pairs lately.

So, it's all to play for in the Beijing Olympics.

#777 badMania, Jun 22, 2008
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2008
  18. Krisna

Krisna Regular Member

General Management
    ;) You're welcome!

19. CLELY

CLELY Regular Member

For the first time INA grabbed MS title in Super Series level yesterday. XD and MD which routinely deliver victory for INA didn't get success this time. Credit to Maria Kristin and Vita/Lilyana for their performance during tournament to defeat top players and pairs respectively. And Fuzzy pair who won back-to-back SS title, congratz!

20. abedeng

abedeng Regular Member

Occupying Tall Buildings
    Yup, INA fans are superb, esp. the girls. Quite a lot of them sat close to us during finals day ...... maybe because Bao Chunlai was close by.

Those booooes and heckling, it is part of mental training on the part of our players. As coach Misbun said, Istora is the best mental training camp, though it is no longer the "commando training camp" it was in the 60s to 80s. Then, you really needed courage to withstand the crowd.

What MAS BC-forummers do or do not know concerning certain sensitive subject matters may not be the same as what INA BC-forummers do or do not know. Even worse, something sensitive on one side might not be sensitive on the other side. This can lead to misunderstandings, but it is best to let things be and concentrate on the badminton discussions proper without going to nationalistic fervour. It is best when you can be an, ahem, almost neutral observer .......

Though I must say that the organizers of S'pore Open were very naughty when playing out the Rasa Sayang song just before LCW's MS match vs Simon Santoso.