Thomas Cup: Who deserves Silver more? Korea or Malaysia

Discussion in 'Thomas Cup / Uber Cup 2008' started by hador7, May 19, 2008.

1. hador7

hador7 Regular Member

To start, I want to say I'm not a fan of either country. We know Korea got silver and Malaysia is left to share the bronze.

I'm just wondering whether you guys think Malaysia deserved silver more than Korea based on their performance. I would have done a poll but I can't seem to find the poll button. If a moderator sees this, can you somehow change this thread into a poll? :)

I personally think Malaysia deserved silver based on 3 points:

1) They performed better against China.

2) They defeated Korea in the prelims.

3) Korea forfeited prelim match vs England to set up the ladder. I'm not saying it's wrong or right. I'm just saying Korea would've been eliminated earlier by China if not for this tactic.

What do you guys think? And please keep it reserved. I don't want shouting and insults to be thrown here. Just a nice friendly discussion. Post your points and views.

P.S. I cheered for Canada. :crying:

2. sumbadder

sumbadder Regular Member

Korea was the one in the finals. Enough said.

3. jimbo

jimbo Regular Member

I was watching closely during the Msia vs CHN and KOR vs INA. I think KOR has more depth in both MS and MD.

MS: Msia is solely rely on LCW and the rest were just the passengers only. Even The Star reported that Msia is urgently hunting for MS players to replace uncle Wong and Mr.Yoyo :cool: I dont blame WCH coz he gave his best against BCL and BCL was in superb form. He even had few perfect shots n retrieved those dead shots :eek: So, it's NOT WCH's fault but BCL performed exceptionally well... outstanding perfromance from BCL...
    MrYoyo is hopeless. He was trying to be very aggressive to kill off the game against CJ coz he knew he could not match CJ's fitness.

MD: KKK/TBH is too flamboyant. If you noticed how the KOR MD and CHN MD play, they have similar approach and more practical. The smashings are powerful, even in the rubber games. For KKK/TBH, their games are proned to unforced errors and less practical. of coz, they will pull off some "stunts" but that leads to "inconsistency" ;)

So, KOR is still a better team but I'm quite sure LCW has bright future ahead of him. He wont do well in OG08 though :rolleyes:

4. bananakid

bananakid Regular Member

business owner
    Quite frankly, nobody really remembers/cares about the runner-up... otherwise Denmark won't be so concern about the TC, since they have been runner-up numerous times... It's all about the Champion.:cool:

Korea is the runner-up this year, and they beat two good teams to earn that silver medal, while Malaysia only defeat a few weak teams to get to the semi... and as for the preliminary... my gosh, they beat Korea because LYD was playing 3rd singles, while Park SH was playing doubles(and won!), plus SSM was playing 1st singles...:rolleyes:

5. Wong8Egg

Wong8Egg Regular Member

DOH.......:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

6. BMcentral

BMcentral Regular Member

lol...some people still can't get over it....

oh well, i think MAS should deserve to win thomas cup this year more than CHN, they forced CHN in to the 5th game and lost by a tiny margin, and CHN obviously had a much easier preliminary than MAS.

there by, i conclude the winner of 2008 thomas cup winner is-----Malaysia!!!!!

7. bananakid

bananakid Regular Member

business owner

Yeah, according to your logic...the Thomas cup has been won by Malaysia every year ever since it was introduced. :rolleyes: Malaysia Boleh!!!:rolleyes:

8. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    Not thinking about Korea lost to Malaysia. But personally i think Korea had a more stable lineup compare to Malaysia. And they played better too. I would say Korea deserve the silver more than Msia. Sorry to say that.. :( I'm upset that Msia lost to China. Didnt have a good sleep that night.

9. chibe_K

chibe_K Regular Member

I think Korea. If it were Mal vs INA in the semis, INA would crush Mal and advance to finals. Mal team is still too cozy with semis and not able to step outside the box.

10. wood_22_chuck

wood_22_chuck Regular Member

Electronics Technologist
    You don't like reality or something? The Thomas Cup is not a beauty pagent or popularity contest. It's based on merit, and not a poll.

The team that deserves the silver is one with sufficient team depth to weather 1 or 2 loses, superior tactics, superior effort, with luck as a tiny ingredient. And for the 2008 Thomas Cup, went to the well-deserved KOR.

Did you watch the performance that KKK/TBH put up compared with Fairuz/Zakry? Did you watch Hafiz's court demeanor versus an injured Chen Jin?

-dave

11. Pemuda

Pemuda Regular Member

Korea made the final. Malaysia did not.

12. Heong

Heong Regular Member

IMO, I believe Korea earns Silver, which they did.
    They have played extremely well & improved. PSH & LHI played well in their part in helping Korea into the finals.
    As they defeated Indonesia 3-0!

But I must say, LCW has done very well in this tournament & has improved overall. Malaysia has fought well & gave China a good battle.

13. abedeng

abedeng Regular Member

Occupying Tall Buildings
    Korea deserve the silver on account of them beating Denmark and Indonesia.

The match against Denmark, especially, was breathtaking. The 2 pts Korea lost were narrow ones. But they beat Denmark convincingly in the next 3. Then they convincingly thumped Senayan-charged Indonesia 3-0.

Though I'm still upset with them for not doing enough against China ...... wasted effort to the final. So in that sense, they are not much better than Malaysia.

14. drifit

drifit newbie

PM
    games of sport.
    whatever it is, Korea did manage to get into the final. like it or hate it, they are in the final. Korea deserve the silver.
    MAS and INA, share the bronze, as brothers................:D
    to other teams, please keep up the good work and compete the TC/UC with more determination in next season..........:)

15. Pemuda

Pemuda Regular Member

Actually, there should not be a question pertaining to whether Korea deserve that silver or not. It is very simple actually, Korea made the final not Malaysia.

As for Malaysia, we can try again in 2010.

16. Dato A

Dato A Regular Member

GENERAL MANAGER
    They are better compared with mas team coz they r in final.

Who deserves silver? sure Korea.

Dont tell me mas lineup can win TC.

See how Korea advance to final. They beat Denmark and Indonesia.

mas beat england team, very good. Then beat Japan, excellent. C'mon, nothing to be proud of it.

17. Dato A

Dato A Regular Member

GENERAL MANAGER
    If there is 3rd-4rd placing, Mas even will lose to Indonesia the the share-bronze medal will fly away.:D:D

18. drifit

drifit newbie

PM
    in this case, can we propose to IBF that TC/UC to be a league match?
    top scorer will be winner and so on.............

19. abedeng

abedeng Regular Member

Occupying Tall Buildings
    Is there a meaning to this thread? If England were to qualify for final, would you say that England does not deserve it?

China still won, you know.

Frankly, I would say that is that it is easier to beat China before the final, than in the final. Who knows what Korea might have achieved if they had won their group and meet China in the semifinals.

20. george@chongwei

george@chongwei Regular Member

whatever it is, the reality is Korea had taken the silver and MAS bronze..there`s no point to talk again about this issue.