wet behind the ears wanting to get better and learn more

Discussion in 'Introduction' started by azabaz_ipoh, Nov 5, 2006.

1. azabaz_ipoh

azabaz_ipoh Regular Member

is second to badminton
    oh, thanks for the explaination. i am always learning something new here. :D

my baddy is ok. it has been a while since i got the new shoes and racket. the racket was bought early last year and the shoes middle of last year i think. so they are not new anymore. :D:D:D

but i am enjoying the shoes (mizuno wave gate II) and the rackets are ok for a non pro like me. :) i am experimenting with strings and stringer to find the best one for me. how's your baddy? your sons showing more interest? :)

yeah, i haven't been downloading much. 1, not enough time and 2 not enough memory on the computer. mostly i am watching youtube. and once in a blue moon i torrent whatever badminton i can get my hands on. the trouble is i often forget i was downloading something. hahahaha :D

#121 azabaz_ipoh, Jan 25, 2008
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2008
  2. Birdwood

Birdwood Regular Member

Downloading does eat away a lot of HD, especially keeping some of the split files. I had to delete files to make room for the new ones coming. Never tried torrent.

Do you play anything else besides baddy? My kids are interested in playing, but they may not be inclined in sports. And they don't get to play during weekdays, it's hard to be good at anything without constant practice.

I'm not sure how much difference a string and stringer can make. Have you notice anything yet? Have you managed to play with any BCers around you? Since drifit isn't that far off, I thought he had already come by to collect your prized breeze. Did he :confused::rolleyes:

3. azabaz_ipoh

is second to badminton
    i like torrents because you dont have to multiple download files. you just download one link and it will download all the connected files for you. and that is why i forget what i am downloading sometimes. hahahaha :D

errmmmm...does board games count :D:p i like monopoly, cluedo, risk and scrabble. usually play when the family gets together. oh, if you asking about other sports just baddy at the moment. was most active during high school and university days. involved in archery, tennis, badminton and the occasional rope pull because i add considerable weight. :);) i always think you need the interest first and the determination to practice will come later. if you are not interested, you will do whatever you have to to get out of practice. :)

yes, as a matter of fact, i did notice a difference. i used to not care what strings i used until i came to this place. then i experimented a bit. tried one piece stringing and two piece stringing. tried BG66, ashaway micropower and other less known strings. tried different tensions. it does give you a different feel when playing. i am still experimenting though. since both my rackets are the flexible kind i am gunning for a medium flex one. maybe sometime this year. but shoes are my priority. :D

drifit is more than 200km away from me. that's about two and a half hour journey in a fast car on a clear road. hahahaha. KL is where you can find a lot of stuff. imported stuff like sports shoes and rackets and clothes. more variety than ipoh. but i seldom go there. dont really know the place. i even asked drifit to take me to the shops to find badminton stuff once. but since i haven't been to KL since last year's world championship, i dont know when that will be. :) hopefully drifit's offer comes with a lifelong guarantee. :D:D i wanted to play some baddy with BC members but during last year's WC the gathering did not include baddy sessions. anyway, i am not that good so it's ok. this year's malaysian open i heard about some people getting together to play baddy. not sure if that happened or not. :p

4. drifit

drifit newbie

PM
    you guys wrote a long essay........:cool:
    hard to spot what or which that attention to one.....:rolleyes:
    1. 200km - driving at 100km/hr, will take you 2 hrs journey. no need supercar...:p
    2. offer - need to consider. if not, you will take your own sweet time to plan and more sweet time to make it happen.
    3. getting together for baddy - NATO.........:mad:

5. Birdwood

Birdwood Regular Member

We were just chatting since not many new threads have popped up. What "NATO" stands for :confused:

6. Birdwood

Birdwood Regular Member

Board games usually for relaxation, which I wouldn't count as sports. So how often you play baddy now? As for interest, very often baddy can be addictive. Many ppl started without knowing much about it and found out to enjoy playing. It's a little bit different from some other sports, such as basketball, which I don't mind to play, but no drive to do so.

Experimenting with string or tension are fine, but my string doesn't break that often so how do you do it? Cut off even it's not broken yet? I don't think shoes are more important than racket, which has so many types and variations to consider, while a good pair of shoes will alway beat the cheaper ones.

7. azabaz_ipoh

is second to badminton
    hehehe, no fan of long essay huh? okie, to the point answers....

1. it is more than 200km and you seldom can go 100km/h since there's a lot of slow moving vehicle on the highway. plus all the stops for coffee and toilet break. hahahaha :D

2. hehehe, that is because i am sweet. i must take sweet time. :D

3. yeah, i cannot understand NATO too. please write me a long essay to explain that one :):p;)

8. azabaz_ipoh

is second to badminton
    yeah i know board games are not sports. i was just joking there. sadly you missed the humour. :D i play three times a week. when i started again to play badminton late 2006 i was merely playing once a week. but last year i found a group which is playing three times a week and i begged to join them. now i am happy with my three sessions per week. :);) i am kinda addicted to it. i always look forward to my baddy sessions.

my string dont break that often too. but they do break and then i get to try different string and different tension on them. i haven't experimented a lot yet. i have tried two different strings with three stringers and two types of stringing and three different tensions. the experiment is still ongoing. :) in my opinion, when you are a pro player, the variations in the racket will play a big part because it needs to suit your type of play but recreational players usually mishits anyway and the racket would not help when your skills are not that good. the racket will only be beneficial when your skills are good and you can fully use the racket to your advantage.

yes, a good pair of shoes will always beat the cheaper ones. a good pair of shoes will be important because these are the ones that will protect and support your joints that you put to so much stress with all the sudden stops and lunging and lateral direction changes. and thus, if i have money to spent i will always put priority in buying a good pair of shoes first and if i have any more to spent, only then will i buy a new racket. i have seen people using a relatively cheaper racket beat those who have the expensive ones. a good racket will not ensure a good player. :) but that is just my opinion. :)

9. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Hmm..our Leen is learning awfully fast..

..you're learning too much and too fast, azabaz_ipoh (Leen)..:) ;)
    Actually re the "a good pair of shoes will always beat the cheaper ones.", i find some players, with better techniques/skills & footwork but have "cheaper shoes" (even cheaper rackets) can still beat those who have "a good/better pair of shoes", but don't have better techniques/skills & footwork ..In other words, the skills/techniques & footwork should come above a racket and "a good pair of shoes"...;)

#129 ctjcad, Jan 27, 2008
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2008
  10. azabaz_ipoh

is second to badminton
    i was really thinking of how the shoes are beneficial in terms of saving your legs rather than how it helps your performance on court. shoes will not perfect your footwork practice will. but sometimes i do see players who use worn shoes on court and they will be sliding here and there and maybe they put a lot of stress on their joints. :D so basically what i am saying is, i prefer to protect my knees and feet first before i venture into investing on my other badminton equipment. not saying that i would not want to buy the expensive rackets. just that i can't afford it and it would not be beneficial to me yet. but the shoes will help me achieve my goal of still playing badminton when i am older because hopefully the legs will still hold up. and hopefully the shoes will help me when i am practicing my footwork because it will give me the support i need. so, for me, if i have the money i will spent it on good shoes first and foremost, followed by good string and then last but not least rackets. :) :eek:

#130 azabaz_ipoh, Jan 27, 2008
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2008
  11. drifit

drifit newbie

PM
    no need to write essay on this....
    NATO = no action, talk only
    hopefully no UN member will read this.....:eek:

12. azabaz_ipoh

is second to badminton
    :D :D :D true true drifit. they are no action talk only. hahahaha. if UN member did read this, i hope they know what a mojority of the people think of their work. :)

13. george@chongwei

george@chongwei Regular Member

[​IMG]
    hey, i also got that racquets!!:):D

14. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    NATO = No Action, Talk Only

Hahaha... I thought it was NATO = Night At The Opera. :D:D:D

15. drifit

drifit newbie

PM
    it depends on what or which occasion that you want to refer.....;)
    North Atlantic Treaty Organization

16. azabaz_ipoh

is second to badminton
    night at the opera:eek: i wonder what it would be like if opera singers play baddy on stage. hehehehe. that would be something. :p

17. azabaz_ipoh

is second to badminton
    the ISO 75 MFLT? the same colouring? i kinda think the colouring is a bit out there. hehehehe. i would have prefered the black version one. or the silver one. :D how do you like the racket?

18. george@chongwei

yeah, the colour i like the most plus the raquets quality and many more hehe....

19. azabaz_ipoh

is second to badminton
    is that the only racket you have? what other rackets do you use?

20. george@chongwei

view my profile u will know, azabaz ipoh:cool: