French Open 2007 - Day 4 - Nov 2nd - Quarter-finals

Discussion in 'Dutch Open / Denmark Open / French Open 2007' started by robin7, Nov 1, 2007.

1. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    azabaz_ipoh: Good observation for FO 2007 Day 4 KKK awarding pt away

Well said...... azabaz_ipoh. :):):)

2. eaglehelang

eaglehelang Regular Member

In the 1st place, did you watch the video? KKK/TBH looked surprised, then waited at the other end while the Japanese argued with umpire.

2) Loopy, the BCer who recorded the video and fastdrop were in the stadium to watch the match.
    Loopy said (it's somewhere in the thread, cant remember where now) -both parties were gentlemanly, after the umpire made the decision stick,
    KKK/TBH raised their rackets in apology, TBH passed the shuttle to the Japanese to serve. The crowd were booing at the umpire, not KKK/TBH -

It wasnt KKK/TBH's place to say anything, unless the umpire asked them.
    Loopy understands french, he should know.

Fastdrop said they cant say anything cos they were not the aggrieved party (and maybe get a yellow card for it).
    They were there at the stadium, they would know better AND both are not Malaysians or Japanese.

I wouldnt put it as cheating - as ye333 said, it's hesitating - to tell or not to tell.... then the moment have passed, they'll learn from it.

Compare it to what happened in China Open, BCL vs LCW finals, the line calls & BCL actions or inaction(read the CO threads & watch the video for that) were even more 'obvious', to say the least.

3. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu

#2103 cooler, Jan 22, 2008
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2008
  4. cooler

cooler Regular Member

that is a fair assessment too. Nice to hear it from the lady's side as well in this matter. Regarding my posts, I was mostly indifferent to vching's opinion. He made a big fuss (blog, petition, bf posts) about the alleged china's line call(s) in china open (bcl vs lcw) but in this case, inaction by kkk/tbh is considered a tactical mind game and not cheating. He seem to have different standards, depending which side it involve.

#2104 cooler, Jan 22, 2008
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2008
  5. eaglehelang

eaglehelang Regular Member

LOL, i dont like the "15 character min" either.
    <line calls are often too close and prone to errors by both players and line judge. BCL inaction because he himself isnt 100% sure. Shuttle can only fall to one side, very hard to make a wrong call. (except 1 in a million chance that shuttle rest perfectly on the tape)>

And actions, but all that already discussed ad nauseum in the CO thread, it's over & done with.

The interesting thing I remember at the time was the BCers who went & watch the KKK/TBH vs Othsuka/Masuda match all had similar views to Loopy & Fastdrop, maybe the atmosphere on site different :D. Doesnt mean I agree with what KKK/TBH's in-action, hope they improve.

6. cooler

cooler Regular Member

i wouldn't make a big fuss about this incident if some here didn't make a big fuss about china open's questionable line calls as cheating. If officials can make glaring error on which side a low speed shuttle had landed, it shows that line judging is even harder to be 100% certain at times. Ex. If a line judge feel that the shuttle touched the line with 75% certainty, and 25% uncertainty, he or she would still call it in. He/she wouldn't say to the umpire it's 75% in and 25% out. The degree of certainty is mostly depended on experience.