SEA Games 2007 Day 6: Individual Event SEMI-FINAL

Discussion in 'South East Asian Games 2007 - Badminton' started by badMania, Dec 12, 2007.

1. extremenanopowe

extremenanopowe Regular Member

Chief Coach. The best and still active.
    www.extreme-power.org or xtremexn.blogspot.com
    well done to Kendrick Lee. Boonsak must be hitting the feathers instead of the head.... Looks like there's a new leader in town...

2. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    They are brothers and they are not tall, average height as Hauge has said maybe around 5' 8".

Do you know that both of them were once sent back to Indonesia because they were found to be unfit. I think one or both of them failed in the long distance test.

But they pledge to return to Singapore to prove their worth. When the elder Hendri Saputra was ready he requested the SBA to take him back and all at once he struck an excellent partnership with Li Yujia in the XD.

Younger brother Hendra Wijaya followed suit later and was tried out in the MD with others but did not make much impact. He was later paired with Hendri and immediately created much excitement when they knocked out Malaysia's second best pair then, LWW/CTF, in the first round of a major tournament (can't remember which). They continued to make reasonable progress.

Now this sibling pair will make news if they can claim the gold medal in this SEA Games. Up against the World Champions, their chance is slim but nothing is impossible! This is one way to repay the SBA for giving them another chance and having faith in them. :)

3. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Apparently Boonsak was also the flag bearer for Thailand but he was simply no match for Kendrick LEE yesterday.

Hauge, please remember that name because this young local-born Singaporean is going to make heads turn!

I watched his match yesterday and was thoroughly impressed by his skills and mental toughness. Despite being down 19-20 in the second game and all Boonsak had to do was to win one point to force a rubber, Kendrick stood his ground and took back the game and match!

Now this victory is achieved on Thai soil against a superstar Boonsak! What an achievement for Kendrick! Congrats and may you continue to display that kind of a form and fighting spirit against World and Olympic champion, Taufik Hidayat! :):):)

4. punchclear

punchclear Regular Member

Jia-you, Kendrick!!!

Yup. Kendrick played really well yesterday. He's been playing well for most of the year too, you know...:)
    It's just that he hasn't gotten too many lucky breaks, but life can be like that sometimes...:cool:
    In any case...
    JIA-YOU, KENDRICK!!!
    You make us so PROUD...:):):)

#304 punchclear, Dec 13, 2007
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2007
  5. huangkwokhau

huangkwokhau Regular Member

sales & design
    Is their sister, Sari Sinta Mulia? I forgot to confirm it with them when I met them in Denmark.........

6. eaglehelang

eaglehelang Regular Member

Ah ha, brothers, better still, lots of ideas on them
    LOL, thanks, you dont really have to give a full history. Since I've never watch them play, just needed some info to write on them (for fun only).
    And yes,they beat CTF/LWW recently, I think one of the GP Gold.

R you familliar with their playing styles? Badmania says they are fast & furious. Who's the aggressor, better at net play? Who's the smasher? They play similar to Indonesia? The vital stats are just general info, info on playing styles more important.

But I'm sure there'll be a video on their game with Kido/Setiawan, so finally I watch them play.

Blood brothers, Mr fast & Mr furious vs the Mighty Mouse & Mighty pillar.
    Mouth watering match for sure.

7. huangkwokhau

huangkwokhau Regular Member

sales & design

Of course I will remember his name..:D:D....I saw him play last year..I forgot where...I guess he has improved so much since then.............great fo Badminton, we need new stars or challenger.........

8. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Yes Sari is their younger sister, also in the Singapore Team with Vanessa Neo (local-born) as her regular partner.

Somehow this young WD pair has not made headlines yet. But their chance will come ... hopefully sooner than later. ;)

9. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    I fill you in so that you will know them better as a badminton fan, just as we like to know more about LCW and WMC.

About their playing styles ... "seeing is believing" ... and I suggest you watch them on TV in their finals today. :D

10. Xinguy

Xinguy Regular Member

Part Time Club Player...
    Had never seen kendrick lee been on fire on his game before he is playing really superbly well hopefully he can make it today at the finals come morn kendrick do your best will pray for u...

11. ZhiWeiZ

ZhiWeiZ Regular Member

Student
    May i know what time it will be shown on TV in Malaysia???
    Any Malaysians???
    i really wanna watch...if possible..

12. jasonmarc

jasonmarc Regular Member

And...Derek Wong,..Kendrik Lee..,.Vanessa Neo..are locals.... and prove the locals are equally good ..compared to thoes imported..?:p:p

13. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    We also have Ashton Chen and a few other locals training to become professional players to represent Singapore.

But they only started about a year or so ago and the numbers are small. Kendrick is different as he has been in the team for a long time and has been exposed to the international scene for some time now. He also has the distinction of being the World Junior 2002 singles runner-up.

The newcomers are still much weaker than the foreign talents especially for the girls. It will take them more time to adjust and be committed to becoming true professionals.

Our only Sports School girl students are still a long way off compared to the China-born talents. Hopefully, now that the SBA has moved to the SS, the standard of the latter will improve. ;)

14. abedeng

abedeng Regular Member

Occupying Tall Buildings
    I have, at the SG Super Series, he beat Chen Jin, but unfortunately had to meet Ronald at the q-finals. Being teammates, Ronald knew his game and beat him comprehensively. It was from that point that his performance seemed to be on the rise. And he did win Dutch Open, beating Wacha, who is himself a Super Series semifinalist at China Masters.

I remember asking Loh once about why Kendrick is taking too long to make his mark at senior level, having been WJC runnerup long ago. And whether the National Service affected his training progress.

15. Oldhand

Oldhand Moderator

Broadcast Systems Integration
    Finally got around to watching that match...
    Kendrick's attacking skills at the net have tremendously improved :eek:

Also, it's sad to note that Boonsak had more errors than winners :eek:

16. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Those must be "forced" errors imposed by Kendrick! :D

17. Oldhand

Oldhand Moderator

Broadcast Systems Integration
    You really have to wave the flag, don't you? :p

18. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Of course the Singapore flag.

But I want to hear the anthem as well! :);)

19. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    Go Kendrick Go Saputra!