I wish for peace in these threads

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by azabaz_ipoh, Dec 3, 2007.

1. Loopy

Loopy Regular Member

Sir Dink does have a point. I did the same thing on two other forums I used to contribute a lot. Now I'm only lurking on one on invisible mode. The other, I stopped going altogether and I was one of the founding member and moderator. The ambience was just not right, a lot of sarcasms and cynism, although not that bad.

Panda is an endangered specie on the WWF. Endangered species need to mate a lot :p

2. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

That sounds fantastic. Shame it's not going to happen now. :(

I understand your motivation for leaving. Whenever I've found myself involved in forum fights, it makes me think, "Why on earth would I waste my time with this petty garbage?"

It's very healthy to take a complete break for a while, so that you can make a clear-headed assessment of your involvement in these communities.

Whenever I've done this, I've benefited: either by returning with a clearer head and unburdened with habits; or by leaving forever.

3. Birdwood

Birdwood Regular Member

Please don't leave us poor souls, who had no other places to go and who love badminton too much :crying:

BTW, the tone has changed a lot since azazbaz_ipoh led the peace movement and kwun banned a few serious offenders. Hopefully future discussion will get even better and become more constructive each time. One thing I thought would be helpful is to put less emphasize on countries, instead more on individual players. We all love the performance by TH, LCW, and LD, etc. BC needs everyone's support to be successful. There is need for a few good men, as suggested by azazbaz_ipoh and I assume most women are peace loving in nature :confused::)

4. azabaz_ipoh

azabaz_ipoh Regular Member

is second to badminton
    no hell hath fury like a woman scorned....i think a saying goes. but for the most part i still love it here. still so much to learn. and i also learned to stay away from discussions that have turned into a nasty argument for winning sake.

most of the threads starts on a good note. usually the regular people will discuss it maturely. some agreeing and others disagreeing. the dicussion are real good sometimes. makes you want to join in and share a piece of your mind. then someone will remark about something bad like for example targeting a country and personally attacking each other when they dont agree with what the other said. then all hell breaks lose. and people just start to hurl abuse left and right. then all turns to waste. the earlier good discussion will never be read again or people who really wanted to comment on the points discussed before will never get a chance to do so because the thread is locked. isn't it a shame.

i hope the regulars who really enjoyed mature discussion and sharing views in a civilized manner will not be discouraged by the few bad seeds. dinkalot contributes excellent reviews, gollum and other coaches gives advice on techniques, others like chris, ctjcad, abedeng and a lot others have good debating skills and humor too. i have always enjoyed a banter here and there. loh, drifit, linus, cooler even, have humor on their side. hauge and his escapades with the indonesian players and other top players. kwun, red, ah chan and cheung's adventure with the camera. ants and his prototype saliva-inducing reviews. those are still precious things i can find here. lets just ignore those trouble makers and stick to what we love best. badminton and all the things related to it. :D

5. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Sounds like...

..it's a preview of what's going to be the hot new releases/re-releases next year in BC!!..We're all looking forward to it, Master NGP!!:):cool:
    ..and our lady is eagerly awaiting for our DinkAlot/Master NGP's wonderful new reviews...;):D:cool:

#105 ctjcad, Dec 10, 2007
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2007
  6. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    Welcoming Oldhand to our bigger team of moderators !!!

Hi kwun and Oldhand,

CONGRATULATIONS for forming a partnership so quickly !!! :):):)

This would help us to achieve azabaz_ipoh's wish for more peace in these threads.

Cheers... chris@ccc
    :):):)

7. crosscourt

crosscourt Regular Member

Legal
    Maybe this type of conflict is to be expected. I don't come from a large family, but friends of mine who do tell me that they often have petty arguments that simmer over into big dramas. The only way to resolve the situation is to stop the argument and let the family cool off. It seems to me that locking the thread achieves the same result in BC.

I also agree with Dink and Gollum in that sometimes the best thing to do, when a passion subsides, is to just walk away from the whole thing and see if you rediscover your passion after a period of separation.

8. Birdwood

Birdwood Regular Member

Sounds like a divorce proposal, which may lead to the third party. Meanwhile, who's going to look after the kids (BC here), hum? :mad::D

9. Birdwood

Birdwood Regular Member

Agree. Oldhand's humor will make any tough job disappear as quickly as they appear :)

10. wilfredlgf

wilfredlgf Regular Member

Security Engineer
    Oldhand's sense of humour is what I call wit - making clever modifications to the language to bring funny effects without sounding ridiculous.

Either that or allusions/spins to current issues.

Congrats brother.

"Great kid. Don't get cocky!".

11. Birdwood

Birdwood Regular Member

An analogy to the job and peace in sight

Mayor: how can we have peace with those rowdy cowboys in town?
    New Marshal: well I’m slow at drawing and lousy at roping, but I can sing in saloons and tell jokes on the streets.
    Mayor: that may just what we need. Let’s have a drink to it.
    Ever lasting peace in deed in …:rolleyes::D

12. eaglehelang

eaglehelang Regular Member

Since we're on the Sir thingy, Sir Loopy... they are other forums about badminton in English? As active? I thought the Msian fans has been said to be a critcial lot (+our sports ministry, sports organisations, media), bashing, bashing and more bashing.

Here, dont mind what some of the teenagers say, hormones are haywire at this age.

13. Oldhand

Oldhand Moderator

Broadcast Systems Integration
    The Power To Make Peace

Great analogy, though far from flattering :p

Sad would be the day when everyone agrees with everyone on everything.
    That would be like the tree that bows to every breeze, wind and gale :(

If information is a forum's utility and sharing is its purpose, debate is its life-blood. It's hardly likely that we will, any day, be in complete agreement on the game's many facets and issues or that we will debate those with anything less than extreme ferocity and great conviction. But that doesn't mean we can't go about it in a civil manner. :cool:

I don't know if you have come across voice coaches - they are very much in demand in the entertainment industry (and lately in the political arena). One of the things they teach you is how to stress something without raising your voice... and the resultant change in the trainee is remarkable.

Our "wish for peace in these threads" is something that cannot be granted by another... to put it simply, the ability to make peace or disrupt it lies within each of us. :)

14. Birdwood

Birdwood Regular Member

Well said, Oldhand, you sound more and more like an old professor and philosopher than a peace officer now. This may actually work out well in the end.

I didn’t come across any voice coach since I played more than acted, but I’ll remember that advice in my writing and for my daily routine.

In term of achieving peace, I’m just looking for natural leaders, like kwun, you, azabaz_ipoh, etc. to lead. I’m only good as a foot soldier and sure most of us are glad that you’re on board and will support any peace efforts put forth.

It seems that you have spent a lot time at the forum. Just make sure kwun doesn’t forget to get you a front row seat next summer especially you’re doing all the biding and betting for him :)

15. azabaz_ipoh

azabaz_ipoh Regular Member

is second to badminton
    you have sent the message that i wanted to send out in one sentence. :);) cool!

16. wilfredlgf

wilfredlgf Regular Member

Security Engineer
    Damn hippies... ;)

17. Ayame

Ayame Regular Member

Student, Martial Arts Instructor
    With such a large number of users and different cultures involved, disagreement is only natural. But it's the extreme negativity and rudeness that turns these disagreements into raging conflicts.

18. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    No new posts can be found ???

What's happening in this thread? :confused::confused::confused:

I get notification that posts have been made in this thread. But when I have a look, no new posts can be found. :eek::eek::eek:

19. Oldhand

Oldhand Moderator

Broadcast Systems Integration
    The notification was correct.
    There were new posts in this thread.

However, those were spam and were deleted.
    That's why you don't see any new posts :)

20. george@chongwei

george@chongwei Regular Member

just like some poll's thread:confused:
    no new post was made by there's a notification there though:confused: