China will NOT attend Super Series Finals

Discussion in 'Super Series Final 2007' started by apontoh, Nov 25, 2007.

1. sjoe

sjoe Regular Member

Engineer
    I don't tink is fair for China to say it now and boycott the final. If they disagree with the SS scheduling, it should have protested from the start. It should have gentlement's agreement, once you agree to participate let finish it and will review for the next one.
    Boycott is a form of protest, it is because of fustration. LYB must be very fustrated that his players can't perform consitently tournament after tournament. Well he has to adjust his methode of training if he agree to participate at the first place.

2. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    LYB is just interested in winning GOLD at the Olympics 2008

I don't think this is a boycott.

I think the reason is that LYB is more interested in winning GOLD at the Beijing Olympics 2008.

The SS Finals prize money for his players (or for himself) is not as important to him.

3. huangkwokhau

huangkwokhau Regular Member

sales & design
    WTA offers ranking points for final 8......

4. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Hmmm..

hmmmmm....now that i think about it, perhaps holding the SS Grand Prix event in January next yr wouldn't be a bad idea afterall. Granted, it will be held in M'sia and around the same time as the 2008 M'sian Open?!...:confused::p

Anyways, it's unfortunate and definitely won't be the same, now that the CHN squad wouldn't be able to attend this event.:( But i also think the organizer shouldn't be affected by their absence. Rather, they should just hold this event and still respect the other countries'/players participation...:cool:

5. well-son

well-son Regular Member

Just guessing, could it be some kind of soft protest from LYB/China BA for not attending the Super Series Final because BWF limit the players max 2 in each category --- as they have (or can have) more than 2 players, especially in MS, WD, WS?
    He/they think it's unfair? Could it be?

If it happens in the future, it would be definietly good, for the players and for the sport (badminton) as well.

6. Shifty

Shifty Regular Member

Student
    what many of you are forgetting, is that, yes, Wong Mew Choo, Peter Gade, and everyone non-chinese plays in the Super Series as well. BUT, they don't play as many games per tournament, cos they usually get kicked out before the finals. chinese players have usually played the longest routes to get to where ever they end up(usually winners).

and what they're doing isn't really unfair on the other players. it's actually letting lower ranked opponents a chance to shine without the presence of China. it's actually pretty smart. as my dad often tells me, "win the matches you need to win, treat the others as a club game."

i guess the Chinese are just doing that. they want to win the Olympics, and so, to them, the Super Series final is like the Vietnam open. it doesn't really matter if they win it or miss out.

7. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    also remember that the attraction of SS Final is mostly for spectator and prize money. the anticipated prize money is very attractive, these are professionals afterall and they don't just go for ranking points but also the cash reward.

8. sjoe

sjoe Regular Member

Engineer
    It would be disaster if other country will retaliate by pulling out from OG. May not be Indonesia or Malaysia but other country like Denmark, Britain, Thailand etc.

9. kenny7_2006

kenny7_2006 Regular Member

Working student...
  10. kenny7_2006

kenny7_2006 Regular Member

Working student...
    if it does go on, it will still be interesting to watch, with or without China's participation...

11. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    Doha to host Super Series Finals 2007 ?

The latest that I have heard is that Doha could hold it in January 2008.

#51 chris-ccc, Nov 26, 2007
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2007
  12. kkkfans

kkkfans Regular Member

Student
    i think china just considered at next year olympik oni.....n they wan get more champion on it.....but malaysia sure can take champion even they train harder......

13. sumbadder

sumbadder Regular Member

You guys make it sound like everyone except China has to participate in the SS finals. Fact is, the tournament is in shambles and nobody is required to play in it. Of course it's bad for the sport if players don't participate in the flagship event of the BWF but they aren't obligated to in any way. As stated before, the event happened to land in an Olympic qualification year so players are participating in every possible qualification tournament to secure their spot in the Games and are probably in need of rest before the 2008 season begins. Given that there are no points involved in this tournament, I'd be willing to bet that there will be more players not participating in the Finals if they even take place as they need to rest up and aren't really in need of the money.

14. pjswift

pjswift Regular Member

only CHN needs to rest cos their players in poor shape.
    It's gonna be round robin style so players play a minimum of 3 matches and max of 5.And it's all for better money than usual;why would they not turn up? In fact am delighted CHN withdraw (because LYB knows his players unlikely to win); it means instead of BCL and LD, we' ll have TH and BP. Isn't that more exciting? Looking forward to it in jan 08. (Confirmed by Spore's CV)

15. Shifty

Shifty Regular Member

Student
    depends on your version of exciting.

16. Krisna

Krisna Regular Member

General Management
    Walk the talk!

If China is frustrated that the SS schedule is too much, why not walk the talk and reduce the China Masters SS to a GP Gold event? :) There. One SS down. Or... don't have any China Masters at all... [if there are internal Chinese pressures to send China players to their own GP Gold event]Either way, that's one week off the schedule if they so chooses... ;) Don't just be frustrated, act! Beginning with a leadership action from yourself! ;)

Please please, no boycotts by anybody... boycotts will so annoy the Olympic Comittee that they might decide to drop badminton as an Olympic sport altogether! :mad: :crying: We all loose! By us, I mean badminton fans and people in the badminton world... I heard sports like golf can't wait to take badminton's place in the OG.

17. twobeer

twobeer Regular Member

computer
    I fail to see why this would not be "fair".. They all have had equal opportunity to be in the top 8 positions... participating in previous SS-events..

/Twobeer

18. twobeer

twobeer Regular Member

computer
    The problem lies in the fact, that CHN players don't play as individuals, and thus the money incentive for these players is non existant.. I doubt they get to keep any prize money personally at all. Their results are measured by ranking points (and ultimately gold medals), not prize money..

This structure, I think is also bad for the sport as the money needs to be bigger if we want it to grow commercially..

Other pro players on the other hand will just be happy if CHN players don't take part in big money events, as it will make their way to the money easier..

Fans like me however want to see the best players in action...

/Twobeer

19. twobeer

twobeer Regular Member

computer
    You are forgetting, that All chineese players don't reach the finals all the time..

Also its a good chance they will get occasional easy games from WO's or given games from "team"-members :p

So I don't think it is a fair assessment to say all Chinnese play more games..

looking at some stats...

in SS up to french..

The number of total matches are Gade:22,Bao:26,LD:35,KJ:22,LCW:29...

But if we take away the WO:s and "internal" CHN-team nmeetings it is:

Bao:17, LD:27...

/Twobeer

20. Krisna

Krisna Regular Member

General Management
    Chris... I think you have gathered some inaccurate information here...

The SS Final is not an invitation event. You have to qualify for it. You have 12 SS chances throughout this competition year to accumulate as many points as possible. And then, ...with the blessing of your national association, you can possibly be one of the top player or pair of your country [max 2] to play in the SS Final.

Then... is it also not fair to award ranking points in the World Championship and Olympic Games?!? Only max 4 players/pairs per category can represent his/her country in the WC... and max 3 in the OG... So there are many people in that country who are not qualified to participate...

Actually, Chris, is it also not fair to only allow the highest ranked competitor to participate in a normal SS event? Many BWF registered player could not play in some SS because they are not ranked high enough compared to the others... Thus, they could not get any ranking points in that SS because they don't qualify... So? Not fair for these unqualified people? :confused:

Yup, twobeer... I agree with you.