Some message for the players...

Discussion in 'Vietnam Open / China Open (2) 2007' started by happyice81, Nov 25, 2007.

1. Carbonexer

Carbonexer Regular Member

If BCL did not see clearly where the shuttle landed he should not have pointed out to the umpire that his shot was in.

I am not sure about his involvement on the walkover deal. What I do know is that judging from the look on his face immediately after the game tells me that he really thinks that he had beaten a 100% LCW with all 100% of his own ability.

Ha ha ha..... China will continue to do whatever it takes to win and you can say whatever you like because they are not shameful at all and they don't give a damm at all.

2. pjswift

pjswift Regular Member

Let me clarify that both Rexy and Misbun are fantastic coaches in their own right in terms of the badminton aspects.I'm just inferring from the way MAS MDs fall to lesser opponents as an indication that some aspects are lacking. Mental preparations are crucial because they determine the physical delivery.And this kind of mental prep. is not the type you see a shrink for.
    The fact that LCW seemed surprised by the number of bad calls against him and getting distracted suggests that this problem has not been prepared for.LCW encountered a lesser problem last year in HKO.He hasn't learnt and it's Misbun's job to remind LCW that the moment he wastes his energy with the umpire, his concentration would be disturbed and with it,his A game.( This has nothing to do with mental strength which LCW has more than sufficient. It's the kind of concentration tennis players require;that's why tennis players won't start play if spectators are still moving.)
    I posted on this in the Finals day thread so you can check it out if you like.
    I may be wrong but if they have discussed the horrific environment that LCW is going to be in and how he should handle it with no damage to his focus, LCW can be immune to umpire, linesmen and sj attacks.Of course it also means LCW has to play at 110% to allow for bad calls.This is what I mean by mental prep.LCW becomes so mentally well prepared for the smelliest conditions he will not be surprised or upset so he can go about his business as usual.(When i have more time, I may start that thread)
    Oh, by the way, LCW should expect at least 3 bad calls in his HKO matches as well.

3. pjswift

pjswift Regular Member

He has two houses at least.

4. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    kinda hypocritical aren't you saying other people are whining and complaining while u r doing the same thing.

5. robin7

robin7 Regular Member

Dreamer
    I think LCW would have expected the bad calls but not to that extent. Misbun should have come out to calm LCW down when LCW was arguing with the umpire but he didn't. Anyway, I believe they will handle these situations much better in Beijing next year. Who knows, this could be a blessing in disguise like some of us said.

6. Misty100

Misty100 Regular Member

As LCW said, this match is a lesson and indeed an eye opener, that everyone (all non-CHN players, coaches and officials) should know what to expect in future... esp. in the OLY '08.

7. markchan

markchan Regular Member

I am quite sure they will be using neutral officials, at least the umpire and service judge, during th OG08. Just hope that the umpire can be firm and spot any biased line calls.:cool:

8. sepang

sepang Regular Member

If I were BCL, I would not jump up so high to show my happiness. I would be happy but feel sad at the same time because I miss the real opportunity to win on my own.

Here is the link to recap the controversial call -
    http://blog.sina.com.cn/s/blog_4afdd7f301000b4u.html

#28 sepang, Nov 26, 2007
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2007
  9. Birdwood

Birdwood Regular Member

I'm not sure that China wants to risk own reputation for small badminton gain. So far this year they had won about 2-3 first places in each tournament with world class players. Why they need to cheat on one more match like the one between LCW and BCL? You could argue that because they did not want to lose face in light of XXF's loss. It's possible, but it's not worth it.

I would tend to think the problems at that match was less intentional, maybe more due to bad training of judges and linemen. It's a difficult job to judge whether a shuttle is in and out. It's not exact science, rather human intervention of half truth and half imagination. As told by some, there might be one or two bad calls. The other ones were just questionable (although they might look more in favor of BCL). In matches, lineman usually will called one questionable shuttle in and the other one out to make things evenly compensated to the same player so they won't say the officials are against them. This case could be a little different and definitely Chinese organizers need to do a better job in training their staffs and to appear even-handed for tournaments in China.

I gave a lot credit to LCW for not walking out on the match. That's real good sportsmanship. Players have nothing against each other. They do their battle on court. But at the end of day, they know win or lose is not that important to them with so many tournaments around, and they know winning is not sure thing every time and it mostly depends on their performance in the match on that day. Badminton is not like tennis, where one player wins tournament after tournament. I would say LCW's playing had been superb lately. LCW deserves to be #1 ranking in the World. In the MS Final, BCL just happened to surprise everyone with his unusual performance. It's a match where both players tried their best. There will be many more matches between them in the future. I don't think we should care one match that much. Let's enjoy the show instead.

10. eaglehelang

eaglehelang Regular Member

Oh? LCW didnt expect that after knowing the Korean MD walked out in QF? And the Thai XD pair who were also upset in Semis? Peter Gade match against Chen Jin? They not sufficiently prepared too? ;)

I thought he purposely made a fuss and purposely gave up cos he knows its unfair. Anyway,that's what I would have done, just to make a statement on the unfair line judging- pretend to be effected/angry but in fact I'm wasnt really bothered, he he. Let Li Yong Bo and the whole China armada think I'm mentally weak.
    But that's crafty ol me, it works in the workplace, puts the "opponents" off guard to your true abilities. One China Open is nothing compared to Olympics.

AND of course many already mentioned - Taufik would have walked off the court, might get angry and throw racket too. Would he also be regarded not sufficiently prepared?

#30 eaglehelang, Nov 26, 2007
  11. huangkwokhau

huangkwokhau Regular Member

sales & design
    You are correct.........;)

12. jgao_net

jgao_net Regular Member

student
    you can kind of expect that going into any tournament, regardless if it's in china or england (as an example).

13. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Just my 5 cents..

..okay, i've read through the locked threads surrounding the hotly debated discussion on the bad/poor line/net calls esp. in the MS Finals (yes, including the transcription posts that Inky2000 shared with us, which came from a China-based source). And from what i've read, IMO, the post by Birdwood, above, seems to be one of the most well-reasoned one, esp. on the notion of CHN preparing/training their linesmen better. And yes, from what i saw (and remember in that MS Final match) i can understand what LCW and most, if not, all of the M'sian BC supporters & fans are feeling about those calls.
    I'll just say this:
    To be fair to LCW and all of the BC M'sian supporters/fans, and to an extent to the organizer, and even to badminton fans in general, those calls **could've** been called better. But let's just hope from this experience, all the parties involved will learn something and will correct whatever shortcomings, errors, blunders there may be. If need be, the 2008 OG organizer can use non-China based linejudges or umpires, which i believe, in the BWF website they are already offering some open spots for the linejudging duties. In hope in the future, esp. in next yr's OG, the calls **will** be called better and we don't have to go through and see these "negative" discussions again..:):cool:

#33 ctjcad, Nov 26, 2007
  14. happyice81

happyice81 Regular Member

nono, hahahahaha... i work in kl, live at pj... :p
    so i got two location... :p
    :p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p

15. happyice81

after repeatedly seen the video of all the 'suspected' unfair judgement... from here..http://blog.sina.com.cn/s/blog_4afdd7f301000b4u.html
    I realize it's really unfair to bcl and lcw both of them.... ppl can say how hard bcl trained.... all the pressure is at him to win.. so he cannot be so 'honest' or so 'sportsmanship'.. but actually lcw is also train so hard for tat moment, for tat tournament... for bcl, maybe he also doesn't hope to win like this... who knows?... for lcw... he is just feel too disappointed until become smile in his face... as he hav to laugh by tat funny judgement... hahaa.... if I'm LCW, I will hit all the shuttle back to the opponent court no matter how 'out' the shuttle is, even reach those spectator area, i'll still climb up to hit, so tat the linesman won't hav any chance to say "in".... hahahahahaa :D:D:D:D:D:D

i didn't mean to create any controversy here, didn't wan anybody to feel angry or bad... i know this things also happen in other country, other sports... this is nothing we can do, as we said, there's no such a fair thing in this world, and humanbeings r actually quite ugly, hehe tat's true... I don't hav chance to join those big tournament or didn't trained so hard for those big tournament... if one day it happened to me, i'm really not sure wat i will do too..... some more the prize money is... hehehehee....:p:p:p:p:D:D:D:D:D

to china frens, when this thing happen in malaysia, i also feel very ashame of wat our referee do, last time when lcw play againsts china player, i forgot is who ald :p.... so i really didn't blame anybody... really....haha... :p:p:p:p

16. Joyous

Joyous Regular Member

Hmm Birdword has a point.
    Because badminton still rely solely on line judges, there will always be a controversy as human being tends to err & be partial.
    Nevertheless, it's an irony to think that with this so-called advantage China only came thru' with 2 titles in the CO 07 whereas for the past months, they have won more on neutral ground.

17. OneToughBirdie

OneToughBirdie Regular Member

engineer

18. happyice81

19. Birdwood

Birdwood Regular Member

I agree that Chinese players did poorly this time on their own soil. It could provide some motives there. But they know the whole world is watching.

It also shows how inconsistent and unpredictable a player can be. Compared to LCW, LD needs to have more variations and skills in his game to stay on the top. Some weight would help XXF to be better fit to fight a prolonged match. She looks too thin.

20. Kamen

Kamen Regular Member

Self-Employed
    if i were lcw, i would walk out and not finish the game. why bother? Just do what the korean did, walked out and let the desperate chinese win.