Professional Fitness - the Winner in CO

Discussion in 'Vietnam Open / China Open (2) 2007' started by X Ball, Nov 25, 2007.

1. X Ball

X Ball Regular Member

Needless to say everyone has witnessed the win of WMC over Zhu Lin, Zhang Ning and Xie Xinfang.

WMC 'killed' them in the physical fitness dept. Zhu Lin was breathing so heavily at one point, I thought she was going to faint (she slumped her body). And she gave up in the end without too much of a fight.

Then came Zhang Ning who clearly showed her unftiness also. She also capitulated at the end.

Xie Xinfang put up a bit of a fight in the 2nd but in the 3rd she just gave up when WMC took control at 16-16, thereafter it was all downhill for her. She basically gave up the fight.

WMC wore all these players down. If she can keep this sheer fitness up, she will become a champion - she will beat the hell out of her oponents who could not match her. She has stepped up her rallies to be fast and furious, which wore all her oponents down.

LCW does the same, he is extremely fit. Fitness pays (we are not talking about plain fit but super duper fit). What Hafiz has realised, amidst a bit late but still not too late, is that he is a wreck when it comes to fitness. He gives in too quickly and play lazy strokes (trick shots) to try to win the easy way coz he is tired.

There are no easy pickings these days. Everyone is playing at their peak and it gets harder as everyone puts in the heavy gym work. If you not pumping irons or bicycling 20 kms per day, you are not going to cut it. Rope skipping increases the heart beat and lowers the eventual heart rate to 40-50 beats per seconds.

It is amazing how very fit LCW and WMC are - they should put everyone under the same physical coach.

2. badMania

badMania Regular Member

Agree with X-Ball. Wong Mew Choo has such a good fitness that she basically "killed" all the Chinese players in this aspect. Her footwork is also superb and in the 2 matches I watched her play last Saturday and Sunday, she basically had answers to most of the attacks by Zhang Ning and Xie Xingfang that they basically ran out of ideas :cool: At the end, the Chinese players ended up making their own mistakes by putting the shuttle into the net or out.

Their quotes as posted in sina.com.cn summed up everything:
    “跑不动,打到哪里她都能接到。”
    or translated as "no more energy to run, Wong basically had response to almost every shot we made"

Both Zhang and Xie were basically so exhausted nearing the end of their matches that it was so obvious from their expression and body languages. Like the observation made by X-Ball, Xie was feeling the fatigue when WMC managed to catch up to 14-14 and it was all downhill from then on.

Congrats once again to Wong Mew Choo, you are a worthy champion! All the Indonesian fans were cheering so loudly for her that we annoyed the Chinese fans sitting next to us, which included 2 young Chinese doubles players (one of them was Tian Qing) sitting just behind me yesterday!

At the end of the MD match, one of the Chinese fans even asked me...."why were u cheering for the Malaysians and Indonesians?" :D

#2 badMania, Nov 25, 2007
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2007
  3. X Ball

X Ball Regular Member

Hahaha, good one.

4. indra

indra Regular Member

Can Ina borrow the Malaysian women single coach?:D

5. X Ball

X Ball Regular Member

:eek: You know the answer.

Yes, now that you have brought it up, I am sure Wong Tat Meng needs to be congratulated too...I think he has done a splendid job with WMC. He is almost overlooked for WMC's win -- he finally found some success. Great one WTM. Your value has gone up.

6. Inky2000

Inky2000 Regular Member

Yes, like what I've written in my earlier posting - Tat Meng must be proud of having a protege who has achieved something that he had never made it when he was a MS player.

7. KlasseE

KlasseE Regular Member

Mental/Physical
    LCW - mentally bad but physically good. He has grown up since criticized over YKH after WC. A good example of sportmanship for others....
    WMC - excellent/superb
    CJ - excellent/superb
    BCL - excellent/excellent
    ZN - bad/good
    XXF - bad/good
    Park - bad/worse
    Thai XD - excellent/superb
    INA MD - excellent/excellent

just my 2 cents.....

8. badMania

badMania Regular Member

Look at how Wong Mew Choo has rapidly risen to the top 8 in 2 years and having beaten most of those players ranked above her :eek:

She lost in the SEA Games Final to Adriyanti Firdasari, and now such a gap between the two players by now :cool:

9. sumbadder

sumbadder Regular Member

Yeah it was noticeable that the Chinese women were very capable of beating WMC in the skills department but that she a) got most non-kill shots and b) pushed for longer rallies. Whenever the rallies got long, they would wind up hitting out or she'd end up with a good shot.

10. pjswift

pjswift Regular Member

Thanks, badmania for your feedback. Yes, it's amazing how WMC can play sensationally in the space of one month difference compared to her DO and FO performance.Guess CHN WS never expected and so did not prepare for this.I'm delighted for her. Her game has transformed into a slower version of LCW.(Having the right bf is always useful!)And isn't she fearless; she just gets down to business.
    Courtside reports are always great.Appreciate your opinion on this : Which is the best MS match you've seen in CO?

11. indra

indra Regular Member

What's wrong with the Ina WS department?

SOmething wrong with the players? Coaches? Method of practices? or what?

12. KlasseE

KlasseE Regular Member

WMC's favorite WS player - SUSANTI
    in CO, WMC played like SUSANTI and SIMON, in defense

13. badMania

badMania Regular Member

Indeed.....she was very patient in her matches against Zhang Ning and Xie Xingfang (except perhaps for that loss of concentration early in the second set when Xie suddenly had the momentum). Fearless is a good word to describe her, and because of that she simply scared the hell out of the Chinese players by the end!

I only watched 3 MS matches: Chen Jin vs Lee Chong Wei, Bao Chunlai vs Park Sung Hwan and the Final match between Lee Chong Wei and Bao Chunlai. The best match would be the first one. You can see that LCW had control over Chen Jin in the second and third sets, despite losing the first set 20-22. Like Wong, LCW is also fearless. He's not afraid of Chen Jin's attacks, in fact, you can see that he was welcoming him to attack and basically had answers to those attacks which left Chen Jin frustrated :cool:

14. badMania

badMania Regular Member

More quotes from sina.com.cn:

"谢杏芳在赛后回忆道,不过,她因为体力严重下降而未能成功贯彻林丹的战术。在决胜局以16比14领先后,她竟然被对手连扳6分,虽然在16比20的时候追回一分,但一个回球失误导致她最终还是以17比21遗憾告负。"

After the match, Xie Xing Fang summarized that her loss was due to her rapidly deteriorating fitness by the end of the match! She was leading 16-14 before letting her opponent come back with 6 consecutive points. Although she was able to win another point back to make 17-20, at the end, a return error caused her to lose the match 17-21.

“我的体力出现了很大的问题,网前失误太多了,到后来落后的时候过于焦急。”

Besides the fitness problem, she also mentioned that she made too many netting errors and became too impatient when she was trailing late in the game.

15. pjswift

pjswift Regular Member

Thanks so much.I couldn't understand why LCW took the defensive line against CJ. I was hoping you had watched the LCW/Sony match because kwun said it was so captivating he abandoned his camera.CCTV only showed half of G1 and I don't think anyone has it on video for uploading.

16. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    hire suzi susanti as WS technical coach and advisor.
    INA got a motherlode of talent but pbsi is too stubborn to hire her.

17. pjswift

pjswift Regular Member

XXF may not realise that it was her lack of fitness that led her to many errors and impatience.Once fatigue sets in,errors just pile up.How come players still don't understand this simple equation? A superfit and well-skilled player knows he can win by outlasting his opponent.

18. badMania

badMania Regular Member

Susi Susanti is currently helping PBSI in preparation for the Uber Cup 2008,

19. indra

indra Regular Member

I guess PBSI should hire Susi and her coach...anyway who was Susi's coach?

20. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    she got the jittered becasue she's not use to running out of answer to a non chinese player. It is obvious xxf ran out of steam. She showed everyone in the 2nd set that she can own wmc but didnt have enough steam left to finish off wmc. I think xxf was planning 3 set match to wear out wmc. Both lyb and xxf did not anticipated a very fit wmc. XXf continued her attacka and pace into 3rd set and leading. However, the gas tank ran dry and the attack lost its potency and the energy draining attack actually start to work against xxf. U can see lyb waving or yelling to xxf to continue to attack (smashing)but it backfired, attack without power or pace is wasted energy. Lyb has to go back to the drawing board. WMC is no longer a pushover.

what wmc achieved this week is of historical proportion. She beaten all the chinese guard dogs (#1, #2, #4 seed) and ex-chinese pi hong to capture the title. Maybe a little bit complacency on the chinese part, thinking no worry, one of the guard dog would bring wmc down.

#20 cooler, Nov 25, 2007
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2007