A Classic for LCW

Discussion in 'Dutch Open / Denmark Open / French Open 2007' started by ye333, Nov 3, 2007.

1. eaglehelang

eaglehelang Regular Member

Yup. Results wise, LCW was more impressive during Japan Open when he beat both Lin Dan and Taufik en route to winning the title. He also beat Chen Jin at Japan Open.

2. pjswift

pjswift Regular Member

The last thing I would want to consider as a LCW classic is he defeating an injured opponent.

3. s1nn3r

s1nn3r Regular Member

Qs
    I think its too early to say this is LCW classic because he still got few years of badminton life in him. But the scoreline does show a bit but maybe there is some internal conflict for CJ, just like Sony defeated LCW in msia a few months back. Cheers :)

4. kungfukid

kungfukid Regular Member

I think it's not all about scores. But rather the way he outplayed CJ. How he controlled the game n made CJ looked like a rookie.

BTW, CJ was not injured until the end of 2nd set. He injured himself from a shot.

5. OneToughBirdie

OneToughBirdie Regular Member

engineer
    You are right...we need some noise and not just quiet concentration, much like INA and MAS used the drum and gong show in yesteryears...but those clappers clapping right in front of you are just iritating and obscuring the view and they are loud, busting the eardrums. The clappers at the back can hit the person sitting in front or bustling their eardrums.

6. extremenanopowe

extremenanopowe Regular Member

Chief Coach. The best and still active.
    www.extreme-power.org or xtremexn.blogspot.com
    Hopefully more classics to come and in the making...

7. huangkwokhau

huangkwokhau Regular Member

sales & design
    Well...in DO, we were so annoyed with some kids using trumpet....it hurt your ears.....feeling like to "errg' them...trust me!!it was so annoying!!!

8. extremenanopowe

extremenanopowe Regular Member

Chief Coach. The best and still active.
    www.extreme-power.org or xtremexn.blogspot.com
    they must have thought its a soccer stadium. hehe..

9. sonnymak

sonnymak Regular Member

Lee Chong Wei's Tenacity

By winning the French Open MS title in such a commanding fashion against such a technically superb player like Bao Cun lai, Lee Chong Wei had done justice to Morten Frost's view of the player.

More than 10 years ago when Morten Frost was coaching the Malaysian national team, he saw a very skinny lad from Penang of 14 years of age displaying lots of talent and tenacity that morten had to break down doors to get him selected to the Badminton academy.

LCW was small and skinny, lacked strength and at 14 many thought he was too old to be trained into a champion.

LCW certainly trained hard to get where he is today.

His strength is his tenacity. Even when he is down and staring at defeat, he would not give up and fight for evey point.

He did that to Lin Dan last year when he was down 13-20 in the 3rd Set and went on to win the match at 23-21.

Today at the french open, already having a bandaged knee which saw Bao overpowering him last week, he played efficiently without too many elaborate shots but still manage to stamp the match with his mark.

Badders of old and new can see a bit of Morten Frost, Misbun Sidek, Foo Kok Keong, Zhao jian Hua and some veteran even say Tan Aik Huang all roled into him.

But he has his own style too, the disguised cross court smash and forecourt leaping drop where you cant even see his racket or shoulder moving. The latter I think is distinctly his own.

Malaysia have had many promising single Players for the past 25 years but none have made any big impact in international badminton in so far as winning major tournament is concerned.

Lee Chong Wei's record is the best for Malaysia in the last 25 years and I hope he can bag the holy grail of Badminton, the All England and the Olympc title next year for after that, he would be a little bit aged at 27 and the youngsters would pose tough challenge to his staying on top of the men's single wolf pack.

10. ye333

ye333 Regular Member

Indeed I don't see any difference between our opinions... The match is a classic because of how LCW out-played CJ, with ease and flamboyancy. It's not about he got the title or not.

Back to my definition: this is a classic match for LCW (haven't watched the final yet) because this is the one match for LCW fans to show to other ppl and to convert some of them. :cool:

And by the way, now that LCW beated BCL with ease, this French Open is indeed a "classic tournament" for LCW now. Beating all opponents in straight games, with opponents' highest total score 28 (should I congratulate Simon Santoso? :) ). Very impressive.

#30 ye333, Nov 4, 2007
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2007
  11. sweetlover

sweetlover Regular Member

STUDENT
    terrific lee chong wei...!!!
    well done bro...!!!

12. hcyong

hcyong Regular Member

Software Engineer
    I just downloaded the match and watched it (thanks to zazaza). I understand what you (ye333) mean by "classic" but for me, "classic LCW" is when LCW plays at his fastest speed.

It's still a very good performance by LCW though. A totally a new side to LCW, a rallying style like WCH but with some deception which actually works unlike Hafiz. LCW also gets deceived by CJ a few times, but he recovers quickly to retrieve the shots due to his light footwork.

Perhaps his success in FO is partly attibuted to his opponents being totally unprepared for this side of LCW, so familiar they are with the lightning cross-court jumping smashes of his.

13. ye333

ye333 Regular Member

Seems you don't want LCW to be a more complete player... :D

14. liying_0505

liying_0505 Regular Member

Student
    well done chong wei!! HE really did a great job! I'm very very impressed with his performance in the French Open semis & FInal

15. hcyong

hcyong Regular Member

Software Engineer
    I want him to win, I wish him to be as complete as possible. He has to because he cannot keep pounding away when age catches up, but I will miss his explosiveness just like how I missed the aggresion of WCH when his style changed to rallying.

16. george@chongwei

george@chongwei Regular Member

congratulations to Lee Chong Wei for winning the Fench Superseries...:)

17. zqloy

zqloy Regular Member

He is a complete player no doubt. But LCW still has to work on is he consistency on mental toughness, esp during major tournaments. He definitely has the game.

18. eaglehelang

eaglehelang Regular Member

Isnt LCW born in 1982? He's should be 25 this year and 26 next year. the right age, prime of his baddy career.

19. badMania

badMania Regular Member

No doubt, based on his form right now, Lee Chong Wei is a hot contender for gold medal at the Olympics 2008.

20. alfa-2

alfa-2 Regular Member

Architect
    LCW's new game plan for future

I think LCW will play better in future with this style ala Morten Frost. why??

1) energy saving......it's very tiring to play "fast n furious" game style if that particular match lasts for more than 60 minutes. You wont have much energy left for the next opponent. It is like having turbo in your car, you can choose to drive without using the turbo (normal day cruising, better fuel consumption) and hit on the accelerator to activate the turbo when you need it most (overtaking cars).

2) Low risk to injure himself or further deteriorate his current injuries as doesnt need to move that fast most of the time.

3) LCW can further improve this game style and keep on using it until he retires. cos for sure he wont be able to sustain his usual "fast n furious" speed for the entire match when he reaches 30.

4) In the past, in the attacking mode, opponents are always ready for his attacks, thus they are able to save most of them. Now, once in a while he springs one of his killer attacks when the opponents are least aware of it. Thus making those shots highly efficient.

#40 alfa-2, Nov 4, 2007
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2007