French Open 2007 - Day 4 - Nov 2nd - Quarter-finals

Discussion in 'Dutch Open / Denmark Open / French Open 2007' started by robin7, Nov 1, 2007.

1. sweetlover

sweetlover Regular Member

STUDENT
    let's the papa do the job...:)
    but absolutely koo-tan not r cheater...!!!

2. ye333

ye333 Regular Member

I think Koo and Tan keeping quiet is understandable, after all they are young and maybe was being frustrated by the tough game. It's like when ppl in desperate need of money see a wallet with no one around. Pick it up or not, that is the question.

But this is definitely not good sportsmanship. Also my opinion is that maybe this actually had some bad effect on their performance after the incident, and no doubt the same accident kindled the Japanese pair's fighting spirit. So overall they should told the umpire. :cool:

3. ye333

ye333 Regular Member

I think "cheating" is too strong a word under this circumstance. It's not like they deliberately did something. Most likely what happened is that they hesitated -- to tell or not to tell? -- and then of course the chance of being honest is gone forever. :cool:

Next time, they should tell the umpire. I believe it is beneficial for their growth into a great pair.

4. alfa-2

alfa-2 Regular Member

Architect
    they should have told the umpire that the japanese were cheating !!! :D:D:D hehehhe, kidding only. i agreed that they should notify the umpire.

5. sweetlover

sweetlover Regular Member

STUDENT
    yup...
    they just curious what to do...!!!
    let's the papa do the job...
    come on rexy give them a lesson...:)

6. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    Calling the shots are the Umpire and Linesman. That is what they are paid for to do.

7. samuel882

samuel882 Regular Member

Tour Leader
    Bravo to Luluk/Alvent ! Credit must be give to them for stretching the Former World's number one into limits.
    As for the tomboys, i was surprised to learn that they can stand for 1 hour & 47 minutes..:eek: Probably a record :rolleyes:. Knowing that butet need to play XD games with Nova before...

8. samuel882

samuel882 Regular Member

Tour Leader
    And don't try to act smart to tell the umpire what to do.. You will probably earn yourself a yellow card too. :rolleyes:

9. robin7

robin7 Regular Member

Dreamer
    Which tomboys r u refering to?:confused: Novita/Polii are the one won the longest match.:rolleyes:

10. samuel882

samuel882 Regular Member

Tour Leader
    Ermm.. Confused of their names.. :p

I am ready for Badmania to shoot me again ! :p

11. robin7

robin7 Regular Member

Dreamer
    Fallen Higher Seeds

Mixed Doubles
    HWANG Yu Mi/LEE Jae Jin beat Donna KELLOGG/Anthony CLARK [7] 21-17 21-12
    Robert MATEUSIAK/Nadiezda KOSTIUCZYK beat Hanbin HE/Yang YU [8] 8-21 21-11 21-13 (R2)
    Thomas LAYBOURN/Kamilla RYTTER JUHL [6] beat Nova WIDIANTO/Liliyana NATSIR [2] 22-20 21-17 (QF)

Men's Singles
    Boonsak PONSANA beat CHEN Hong [6] 24-22 13-21 21-12

Women's Singles
    Ella DIEHL beat ZHU Lin [3] 19-21 21-15 21-17
    YIP Pui Yin beat YAO Jie [8] 21-12 21-19
    WONG Mew Choo beat WANG Chen [5] 21-14 21-8
    Hongyan PI [6] beat Lan LU [4] 9-21 22-20 21-12 (QF)

Men's Doubles
    Sudket PRAPAKAMOL/Phattapol NGENSRISUK beat Jens ERIKSEN/Martin LUNDGAARD HANSEN [6] 11-21 21-16 21-17
    Tadashi OHTSUKA/Keita MASUDA beat Lars PAASKE/Jonas RASMUSSEN [8] 16-21 21-17 21-16
    Tan Fook CHOONG/Wan Wah LEE [5] beat Markis KIDO/Hendra SETIAWAN [3] 21-10 20-22 21-17 (QF)
    Tadashi OHTSUKA/Keita MASUDA beat Kien Keat KOO/Boon Heong TAN [1] 16-21 21-18 21-18 (QF)

Women's Doubles
    Aki AKAO/Tomomi MATSUDA beat Kyung Won LEE/Hyo Jung LEE [3] 16-21 21-10 22-20 (R2)
    Jo NOVITA/Greysia POLII beat Gail EMMS/Donna KELLOGG [8] 17-21 21-13 21-18 (R2)
    Tingting ZHAO/Yang YU [5] beat Wei YANG/Jiewen ZHANG [2] Walkover (QF)

Note: All Round 1 unless stated.

12. pjswift

pjswift Regular Member

Agree.Nothing to do with cheating or poor sportsmanship.Any player trying to correct the umpire's call is inviting a yellow card.BWF umpires will not tolerate being embarrassed and seen as incompetent although a few of them really are.
    A similar incident happened in HKO06 in LD vs KJ semifinal.There was a close net line call in LD's favour. KJ informed the umpire that it was clearly out and asked her to ask LD. LD lied to the umpire and KJ could not believe LD would be that dishonest.KJ was disgusted with LD.But really, LD should not be faulted because no player should be asked to play line judge.The umpire should not have taken up KJ's suggestion and put LD in a dilemma.In spite of her experience,she acted amateurish.Her umpire skills were questionable in some other matches in CHN and its satellites.She should just take care of 'small' matches.
    However the French crowd has always been known to get involved.But believe me, JAP MD would have won even without crowd support.Keita Masuda also played XD.In R1, he had played 3 games each for both his XD and MD matches.The MD match went past midnight and they outlasted their opponents despite the odds.
    In R2, it was quite clear he ditched the XD to concentrate on the MD.When kkk/tbh could not close out by finishing G2 despite a 'safe' lead, JPN MD knew they have the psychological advantage in G3.It's mind over matter.
    Would ctf/lww take out JPN MD? It's gonna be tough but ctf/lww has two advantages:confidence recharged by their breakthrough win over their nemesis and unexpected freshness courtesy of their early exit in DO.

13. fastdrop

fastdrop Regular Member

I wouldn't consider that poor sportmanship. The umpire has his own mind and as a matter of protocol they can't interfere because they are not the agrieved party. The crowd protested and roared but to no avail. After all the Malaysian merely silent, they did not argue that the shuttle went in. It will not be fair if we accuse them of poor sportmanship. The crowd did not like the call and rallied behind the Japanese not because they hate the Malaysian, it was a form of protest to the umpire for his poor judgment. :)

14. MING PARIS

MING PARIS Regular Member

restaurant owner
    you are right when we play at club ,I say out or in like we see! no need
    to get the point because a fault coming from the umpire,
    see you today!
    MING

15. erin_hakkinen

erin_hakkinen Regular Member

Business Student
    noooooooooooo...

Erin/Sze Yin bt Mei Ying/Yannie

Hahahaha!!! :D

16. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Of course you owed me satay, but not for this one, but previous to this! :rolleyes:

I suggest you don't pressure Mr Huang to kill the goose that lay the golden eggs! Otherwise there will be nothing for you in the future. ;)

17. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FfYNkePtHjo

they lost because they knew they dont deserve to win
    (if u dont get it, read the 'about the video' comment)

18. cooler

cooler Regular Member

what a lame excuse, calling it a good sportmanship, a tactical mind game. LOL. Look like their tactical mind game backfired. I wonder who read your blogs anyway:rolleyes:

19. cooler

cooler Regular Member

i'm just catching up on this thread.
    i wholeheartedly agreed.
    glad that ur the mod and not those 'other' XXX's

not seeing/knowing it and keeping quiet is not cheating but
    seeing it, pushing the shuttle to the japanese's side to serve, and then keeping quiet on a bad call, ...in my book, is cheating

Even the audience is booing the bad call. If vching and others think it's not cheating, they must have been blessed with some special powerful teaching and upbringing that we didn't get.

#2099 cooler, Jan 22, 2008
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2008
  20. azabaz_ipoh

azabaz_ipoh Regular Member

is second to badminton
    i just watch the video. and i am not saying KKK/TBH is right. but the fact that they pushed the shuttle over to the japanese side means they already stated their view on the matter. and i did not see the umpire asking them at all about the incident. i think the umpire belatedly knew he was mistaken but due to maybe ego or something refuse to change the call. and if it were a smash down the side line and the player who smashed saw that it was out but the linesman said in, would they tell the umpire it was out? i dont think so. you just accept the call whether it is for or against you. the umpire saw that KKK had already pushed the shuttle to the japanese side. would he not think that KKK knew it was a point for the japanese? why would anybody push the shuttle across if they think it was their point? so i am thinking if the umpire did ask KKK and TBH and they did not say anything, then they would be very near on the line of cheating. just my take on it. again, not saying what they did was right. but if they were really intending to cheat they would not have even pushed the shuttle across would they?