Denmark Super Series 2007: Day 6 (Finals)

Discussion in 'Dutch Open / Denmark Open / French Open 2007' started by sumbadder, Oct 27, 2007.

1. samuel882

samuel882 Regular Member

Tour Leader
    That is the advantage of a Badminton super power..in which MAS & INA will hardly get to enjoy it :rolleyes:

2. george@chongwei

george@chongwei Regular Member

DENMARK OPEN – Asia dominates Europe

from badzine....

[​IMG]Danish and English hopes for getting a gold medal vanished when the mixed Robertson/Emms was stunned by youngsters He and Yu, while Erkisen and Lundgaard ended their fairy tale against Malaysia’s Koo and Tan. Lin Dan and Lu Lan won the singles event.

Don Hearn, Badzine Co Chief Editor. Photos : Badmintonphoto (live)

First up was the mixed doubles where Asian Champions Yu Yang and He Hanbin took their third title of the year with an exciting win over former World Champions Robertson/Emms.

Yu/He got off to a rather shaky start, trailing 5-10 before coming back to keep the second half of the game very close. Fighting back from 16-17 down, however the Chinese began to have some success in trapping Gail Emms at the back and also benefitted from some key errors by the English players, including one rather comical serve by Robertson directly into the back of his partner's head. All this allowed the Chinese to make a 5-point run to take the one-game lead.

Robertson/Emms fought back in the second game, using a lot more precision, and doing a better job of keeping Robertson attacking from the back. They got out in front and needed all three of the game points they'd earned at 20-17 before finishing the game 21-19.

The deciding game was a showcase of thrilling rallies but the Chinese pair, having taken the lead at 3-2, kept the English pair always a few steps behind and closed the match confidently at 21-17.

[​IMG]Danes Denied Doubles Win at Home

In the men's doubles, the question was whether Denmark's senior pair of Martin Lungaard Hansen and Jens Eriksen could come away with a win at home to match the feat of Malaysian Open Champions and world #1 Koo Kien Keat and Tan Boon Heong. Unfortunately for the Danish pair, however, there had been more than homecourt advantage to the success of Koo/Tan, who are definitely the year's hottest pair and who came primed and ready to take their seventh title in their 13-month partnership.

Koo/Tan kept a slight edge through the first half of the first game and looked set to run away with it when the Danes, trailing 10-13, put together a 6-point run to take the lead. Once they had it, they went from precision play to relentless attack and only allowed the Malaysian youngsters a single additional point before they took it home 21-14.

From the outset of the second game, Jens Eriksen came out firing, clearly hungry for his first title in over a year. However, it was the Malaysians who once again led at the interval and this time they kept the pressure on with their attacks and didn't let the Danes back into it, producing a mirror-image scoreline with a 21-14 finish.

In the third game, the Danes could feel things slipping away from them. Koo/Tan seemed to get every break. Their focus and intensity were phenomenal and they left no doubt that they deserved their No. 1 ranking. Lungaard Hansen/Eriksen still showed moments of brilliance and even looked, at times, as though they were on the verge of getting back into the match but in the end, they couldn't match the Malaysians' pace and went down 12-21.

"We are still very happy with our results, even if we lost today. We haven't played so well in 6 months, but today, Koo Kien Keat was all over the place in the second and third round," said Lundgaard. "We didn't concentrate on our game in the first game, but then we started playing more tactically," said the latter after the match, which saw them win their 4th Super Series tournament this year.

[​IMG]Lu Lan in the Limelight as Lin's Win Lacks Lustre

Lin Dan (photo up, right) put on a textbook display of domination as he allowed teammate Bao Chunlai to lead exactly once in the full 36 minutes of his straight-game rout. Bao became increasingly desperate and never managed to find the lines with any kind of consistency.

Meanwhile, in the women's singles, Zhang Ning's tough week and her injury proved to be too tough to cope with against younger compatriot Lu Lan (photo, left), who stunned the Olympic Champion for the first time in her career, 21-17, 21-14. "I am very happy about my first win against Zhang Ning as I've played really well this week, but I still believe that Zhang and Xie are the top two players in the world," said a humble Lu.

3. yannie

yannie Regular Member

hahahahaha..
    she apologized again to koo and tan later after the final..
    markis and hendra just laughed.. lol..

4. kkk&tbh

kkk&tbh Regular Member

Student

it's so embarassing.......
    I was watching yesterday and I was laughing too.....
    firstly, kkk and tbh were confused and look at each other and then they laughed......the danish pair were laughing too.....:D:D:D:D

5. nauyuchi

nauyuchi Regular Member

yeslah... u were right. none in my family watch that bl**dy golf channel/ well sometime my dad do... but yeah put one special racquet channel too!!:mad::mad:

6. nauyuchi

nauyuchi Regular Member

ahahah... i saw that one too. and i was laughing out at home too. kui kui kui:D:D:D:D

7. yannie

yannie Regular Member

hahahaha don't bully her.. hehehe she felt very embarrassed too hahahahaha.. she didn't know it's broadcasted to the whole world until this morning i told her.. she thought it's only sent to denmark.. anyway, hahahaha players just laughed la.. don't worry

8. nauyuchi

nauyuchi Regular Member

i think its normal to be like that... since the players don't mind it either

9. yannie

yannie Regular Member

after the finals, she told koo: i'm sorry! i apologize
    then koo said in a joking manner: yeah, you should be!

lolzzzzzz

10. erin_hakkinen

erin_hakkinen Regular Member

Business Student
    They must be like "i'm markis & u're hendra or its the other way round?"

:D :D :D

11. yannie

yannie Regular Member

tbh: i'm hendra, cuz i'm taller.. cheh

12. erin_hakkinen

Business Student
    kkk: ok then. i'm markis. may be we should change our shirts?

#592 erin_hakkinen, Oct 29, 2007
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2007
  13. yannie

yannie Regular Member

tbh: yeah.. dimana hendra *where..
    kkk: yeah.. mana markis *wf

hendra and markis: (running away.. don't steal our shirts from us!!!)

tbh and kkk keep chasing..

anne: markis kido/hendra setiawan, indonesia, please get back to the court!

14. erin_hakkinen

Business Student
    Anne finally corrected her mistake.

tbh: ok may be we shouldn't change our shirts. Cuz now we're TBH & KKK again.

15. fastdrop

fastdrop Regular Member

And somebody ended up in a Thai restaurant :D

16. yannie

yannie Regular Member

hahahaha, someone met someone in a thai restaurant.. :D

#596 yannie, Oct 29, 2007
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2007
  17. huangkwokhau

huangkwokhau Regular Member

sales & design
    hm..cough....cough,,,,:D:D:D

18. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

A-hah...

..maybe someone gave Anne the wrong cards with the wrong names??:confused:...Hmm, yannie, was that one of the reason Anne called/smsed you last week and asked for your help in pronouncing the players' names?? just for this task??:confused::cool:..I can see the picture now & understand:cool:
    ..hmm, any pics of the Thai restaurant gathering??:confused::p

19. huangkwokhau

huangkwokhau Regular Member

sales & design
    YES....:D:D will not post it in BC for sure.....:D:D

20. yannie

yannie Regular Member

No.. Cuz Saturday evening when Anne was doing the reports, she wrote Markis Kido/Hendra Setiawan on the sheet for the MD final (LOL! Cuz we were cheering for KINDRA during the match and apparently thought they could win, then forgot to change the names for the final after the semifinal match...) Hahahaha