World Junior Championship 2007

Discussion in 'World Junior Championships 2007' started by champion8, Aug 25, 2007.

1. avataar

avataar Regular Member

The Indian Team most likely to be picked for the World Juniors

Boys - dominace of lads (4) from Gopichand's academy

GuruSai Dutt
    Abhimanyu Singh
    Oscar Bansal
    Arun Nandaluri
    Anil Kumar Raju
    Sai Praneeth

Indias top junior GuruSai will lead Indias challenge for the Boys with academy mate Sai Praneeth joining him. Abhimanyu Singh and Oscar Bansal(who has a lovely net game) will take positions 2 and 3 in the pegging order.
    The Dbls challenge will be lead by A Nandaluri and A K Raju a fast improving and consistent dls combo who shall give us glimpse of the infamous Paes-Bhupathi body slam on the Baddy courts.

Girls - 3 from Prakash Padukone's Academy , 1 from Gopichand's and 2 girls from Maharastra

Arundhathi Pantawane
    Ruth Misha
    Nithya Sosale
    Ashwini Ponnappa
    Sikki Reddy
    Prajaktha Sawant

Indias most talented junior girls will be in action with Ruth Misha / Arundhathi Pantwane leading the singles challenge with the very talented Sikki Reddy and the only Indian junior girls player with a jump smash Prajaktha Sawanth providing the additional impetus. The Sosale/Ponnappa pair has won every dbls title they have ever participated in the domestic circuit and will take good form into the WC.

Considering that India faces Australia and host NewZealand in their group these youngsters certainly have the oppurtunity to create ripples in an international environ.

"the team has not yet been officialy annouced, the list is only speculative"

2. event

event Regular Member

I have a question. I realize that Praneeth, Reddy, and Sawant all featured in the recent Asian Under 16s. That wouldn't include Anil Kumar Raju, would it? Is the similarity to the Asian Under-16 mixed doubles champion (and Prajaktha Sawant's partner)'s name Raj Kumar just a coincidence? I realize that Raj Kumar and Anil sound like pretty common names but I just wondered whether it was a seriously alternative spelling. After all, the badminton world has become accustomed to changing names (ie Yulianto Alven --> Yulianto Alvent --> Chandra Yulianto Alvent) and you have actually spelled Prajaktha's name two different ways - Prajaktha Sawant and Prajaktha Sawanth - both of them slightly different from what is on Badminton Asia's results page.

3. samuel882

samuel882 Regular Member

Tour Leader
    TEAM MAS for World Junior Championships in Auckland.

Boy's Single
    1. Mohd Arif Abdul Latif
    2. Lim Fang Yang
    3. Vountus Indra Mawan
    4. Teo Kok siang

Boy's Double
    1. Mak Hee Chun / Lim Khim Wah
    2. Ong Jian Guo/ Goh Wei Shern

Girl's Single
    1. Lydia Cheah
    2. Tee Jing Yi

Gal's Doubles
    1. Ng Hui Lin/Goh Liu Jing
    2. Tee Jing Yi/Woon Khe Wei

Mixed Doubles
    1. Tan Wee Kiong/Woon Khe Wei
    2. Mohd Lutif Zaim Abdul Khalid/Goh Lui Jing
    3, Lim Khim Wah/ Ng Hui Lin
    4. Vontus Indra Mawan/ Ho Bee Ling

4. samuel882

samuel882 Regular Member

Tour Leader
    Please note that BAM have granted the request of Lydia Cheah & Arif only to concentrate on Individual events.
    In other word, they won't feature in the mix team event.

5. blessing

blessing Regular Member

i tot they r not going to feature in doubles event only..?

6. avataar

avataar Regular Member

Anil Kumar Raju and Raj Kumar are two different players from the states of AP and Punjab respectively. A.K.Raju and A.Nandaluri are a regular dbls combo playing in the under 19's whereas Raj Kumar plays with Pranav Chopra and the leading dbls pair in the under 16's. The #1 junior dbls pair is GuruSai Dutt and Tarun.K who were beaten in the finals of the recently concluded All India Junior Ranking Tnmt in B'lore by A.K.Raju and A.Nandaluri. Tarun K may be included in the Boys squad instead of Abhimanyu Singh or Oscar Bansal to give the options of 2 good dbls pair but obviously this is at the cost of asking GuruSai to do dbls and singles duty.

As u correctly put the addition and deletions of last names, letters etc to give dbl identities to individual players is a major problem. But the fact that players in the Indian domestic circuit are required to give their BAI player ID's while submitting entries to tournaments is now helping to deter such issues also helping in giving right accurals of ranking points. The two spellings for
    P.Sawant is a typo from my side. The actual spelling is PRAJAKTA SAWANT.

FYI - P.Sawant and S.Reddy will be battling for the under16 national crown today. S.Reddy bt P.Sawant in the tourney at B'lore but P.Sawant played 3 finals and was poofed during her match.
    Shall update you with the result coz Sai Praneeth is also in action in the boys finals.

7. event

event Regular Member

Thanks for clarifying and for the information. It is nice to see India emerge as a badminton power. It's happening on all sides. Winning mixed in the U-16s, senior men pulling off the odd upset, junior Saina Nehwal doing well on the senior circuit. India's junior team had big wins over Germany and Vietnam in Incheon last year. It will be very interesting to see how they do in New Zealand.

8. badMania

badMania Regular Member

It's a formidable looking MAS junior squad and they are certainly capable of winning the Team event!

XD: Tan Wee Kiong/Woon Khe Wei -- this pair should take the crucial first point and is likely to be the pair to win the XD, unless they choke :cool:

MS: Mohd Arif Latif -- he is also a reliable MS player and will only be troubled by China (possibly Chen Long?), but, he has a higher chance of winning the match.

WS: Lydia Cheah Li Ya -- also likely to be troubled only by China.

MD: Mak Hee Chun/Lim Khim Wah -- last year's MD semi-finalist will have to win the crucial point against China if the score is at 2-1 (assuming for MAS advantage).

WD: Goh Liu Ying/Ng Hui Lin -- this pair has performed well in recent GPs, beating Yulianti/Richi in the Chinese-Taipei Open. Again, they will face the pressure of winning the match against China if score is at 2-2.

9. badMania

badMania Regular Member

Err...I won't call it changing name :cool: We all know Alvent as Alvent Yulianto in INA and the additional "Chandra" in his name is certainly not an addition. It's probably for completeness sake.

10. samuel882

samuel882 Regular Member

Tour Leader
    Agreed with you..
    The CHN team & MAS are hot favorites for the team title. Too bad they are scheduled to meet at Semis :crying:
    for me, all the 5 ties looks 50-50 (Probably with the exception of WD, the event traditionally stronger for CHN), it won't be happened a 3-1 score in MAS favor again like they did in KL...

11. erin_hakkinen

erin_hakkinen Regular Member

Business Student
    From www.nst.com.my

2007/10/17
    Badminton / World Junior Championships: Auckland chances bright

By : K.M. Boopathy

[​IMG]
    Arif Latif is expected to shine in Auckland.
    MALAYSIA'S best achievement in the World Junior Championships was winning two gold medals in Melbourne in 1998, and it could be matched if not bettered at this year's tournament in Auckland on Oct 25-Nov 11.
    In 1998 Malaysia won the boys' doubles through Chan Chong Ming-Teo Kok Seng while Chong Ming partnered Joanne Quay to clinch the mixed doubles gold.

Malaysia's last gold in the tournament was through Tan Boon Heong-Hoon Thien How in the boys' doubles in 2004.

The Malaysian team have proved what they are capable of by clinching the mixed team and mixed doubles gold in the Asian Junior Championships in Kuala Lumpur in July. The same squad, led by boys' singles Arif Latif, are expected to shine in Auckland.

Arif, who narrowly lost to Chen Long of China in the boys' singles, will be looking for revenge as the two players are likely to face each other in the final in the World Junior Championships.
    Besides Arif, Malaysia will have Vountus Indra Mawan, Lim Fang Yang and Teo Kok Siang in the singles.

Expectations are high on Asian Junior champions Tan Wee Kiong-Woon Khe Wei in the mixed doubles as they attempt to emulate Chong Ming-Joanne's success.

Wee Kiong-Khe Wei have ample experience, having played in the Sudirman Cup and the World Championships in August. They should be able to overcome the odds in Auckland where the main opposition is expected to come from compatriots Lim Khim Wah-Ng Hui Lin and China's Qiu Zihan-Lin Shen.

n WORLD No 1 Koo Kien Keat-Tan Boon Heong and compatriots Choong Tan Fook-Lee Wan Wah were unfortunately drawn in the same half in the French Open on Oct 30-Nov 4, and they may meet each other in the semi-finals.

Kien Keat-Boon Heong, who have been top seeded in the French Open, have a relatively easy draw until the semi-finals where they will either meet third seeded world champions Markis Kido-Hendra Setiawan of Indonesia or Tan Fook-Wan Wah.

The Malaysian pair face England's Robert Adcock-Robin Middleton in the first round and are likely to meet Singapore's Hendri Kurniawan-Hendra Wijaya in the second round. Their quarter-final opponents are likely to be former world champions Lars Paaske-Jonas Rasmussen of Denmark.

Should Kien Keat-Boon Heong survive, they are likely to meet China's second seeds Fu Haifeng-Cai Yunin in the final.

Tan Fook-Wan Wah also have a relatively easy first round tie against Germany's Roman Spitko-Michael Fuchs and are likely to play Denmark's temperamental Simon Mollyhus-Anders Kristiansen in the second round before facing Markis-Hendra in the last eight.

In the men's singles, second seed Lee Chong Wei begins with a tricky first round match against Danish veteran Kenneth Jonassen. Chong Wei may face Indonesian Simon Santoso (who beat him in the Macau Open a fortnight ago) in the second round.

Veteran Wong Choong Hann faces a difficult task as he plays South Korea's Park Sung Hwan in the opening match before a likely showdown against World No 1 Lin Dan of China in the second round.

12. erin_hakkinen

erin_hakkinen Regular Member

Business Student
    i want Arif to winnnnnnnnnnn!!!!

Go Arif!!!

p/s: that pic of him is really nice!
    Cant wait for MAS Satellite (hope to see him in action *pray* )

13. Noridayu

Noridayu Regular Member

Childcare Teacher
    To Erin

Dear Erin,

I also hope that Arif can shine in Auckland. He has a potential to be one of the medalist for the team in WJC. Not only you wish that he can win, I believe the whole entire nation too. As for me, I want to see the best achievement from my future hero. Hope you may able to meet him personally. He is very friendly person and easy to approach.

Ayu

14. samuel882

samuel882 Regular Member

Tour Leader
    MAS need to sent this guy to more tournament for gaining exposure.. Doesn't matter with the results...
    TCS is almost the same age as CJ, but his achievement was far behind the Chinese player :crying: Mainly due to lack of tournament TCS being sent in his earlier career :rolleyes:

15. Sandy

Sandy Regular Member

Before against KOR, INA will meet SIN in Quarter.
    INA should be carefull, SIN have Ashton, Fu Ming Tian, Gu Juan, Zhang Bei Wen, Yao Lei. INA beat 3-1 in AJBC, don't know who got the point just knew Febe got 1 point in 3 sets.

I heard Febe and Nandang Arif come from Panorama Club in Solo and coached by Pak Eko Suryanto. How good this coach could create the INA Junior #1 in BS & GS.
    Maybe Krisna has info about Panorama Club and this coach, I guessed he is best coach for badminton's kid in Indonesia.

#95 Sandy, Oct 19, 2007
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2007
  16. event

event Regular Member

This team was officially announced today. Shin won't be playing singles but will play boys' doubles with Jung while Kim Ki-eung and Kim Ki-jung will play together. The two 15-year-olds will play singles and Choi will play mixed with Kim Ki-jung.

17. chandler_k04

chandler_k04 Regular Member

Febe is Solo Girl indeed. But i am not sure about the best coach for kids. Febe is not so dominant when she still in Solo. She improve so much after joined djarum. Before join djarum...sometimes djarum kids like ratih and Ika defeated her. but sometimes she won too. i still remember when Ratih toyed her. Fang Kai Xiang is the coach who train febe right know. he is the one who behind Febe's improvement.

Ika had gave up her badminton career, but i dont know where is Ratih now.

18. samuel882

samuel882 Regular Member

Tour Leader
    Based on current form, do u think Park Sung Min gotta chance to create upset in Auckland :confused:

19. Sandy

Sandy Regular Member

agree, Febe has good improvement since she joined to Djarum when she was 14 y.o. So do Nandang Arif improved well since joined in Tangkas.
    Yes, Fang is the coach who behind her but when before Fang joined to Djarum (2006) Febe already beat Ratih like the link,

http://www.badmintoncentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26876

Ratih still played in U-19, I don't know Ika (Maybe Fransisca Widya).

I guessed you said Ratih, Ika & Febe match when they were under 14.

The small clubs in Solo are well known as players supplier to big clubs in Indonesia.

#99 Sandy, Oct 19, 2007
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2007
  20. gitee

gitee Regular Member

self employed
    World Junior Indiv Draws

Oh ...what happen to the World Juniors Individual Draws ? BWF does not seem to be able to gain people's trust. First, they said postponed the draw from 17 Oct to 19 Oct. Come 19 Oct, the draws still not out. BWF meddling with the draw ?

BWF should be transparent and state explicitly how they decide on the seeds for team events and individual events. For example, on why would is seeded 1st or 2nd or 3rd.

Not a Committee of seeding decides. Haiz ... BWF still far from being a transparent body.