Macau Open 2007, Semi Finals 06 October 2007

Discussion in 'India Open / Japan Open / Chinese Taipei Open / Ma' started by LI De Quan, Oct 5, 2007.

1. george@chongwei

george@chongwei Regular Member

Macau Open: They're Back! It's an All-Malaysian Final in Men's Doubles

[​IMG]After months of disappointing their fans and making the news with various stories of dissent within the ranks, Malaysia's top two pairs, Koo Kien Keat / Tan Boon Heong and Choong Tan Fook / Lee Wan Wah are back! And they have proven it in the most convincing fashion: by beating the 2006 and 2005 World Champions respectively, and in straight games, no less!

By Don Hearn; Photos: Badmintonphoto (Archives)

All England Champions Koo/Tan controlled their match against Kido/Setiawan from start to finish. They played suberb defense, seeming to have no fear of the World Champions' normally devastating attacks. The Indonesians made an unsuccessful, late rally in the first game but the second was over before it began and Koo/Tan took it home 21-18, 21-11.

Choong/Lee had a little more trouble with last year's world champions but the veterans showed mental toughness befitting their age and refused to crack under the pressure, finishing the match 22-20, 21-18. The Asian Champions are entering their first final in five months and are hungry for their second tournament win of the year.

In the remaining four events, Chinese players are the clear favourites. Chen Jin squeaked out a 21-13, 16-21, 24-22 win over Wong Choong Hann of Malaysia. He will face Taufik Hidayat of Indonesia, who won in straight games but by a narrower margin over Park Sung-hwan of Korea, 25-23, 21-19. Taufik is in his third final in a row but neither man has won a tournament in the last 6 months.

Lee Hyo-jung of Korea and Cheng Wen Hsing of Chinese Taipei both failed in their bids to enter the finals in two events. Lee and Han Sang-hoon fell apart late in the deciding game, giving away an embarassing 8 straight points to bestow the victory upon Xie Zhongbo and Zhang Yawen. The Chinese will play Cheng and partner Fang Chieh Min, who beat their compatriots Chen/Chou.

Lee's and Cheng's fortunes were opposite in the women's doubles, however. Lee and partner Lee Kyung-won took care of Jiang/Li of Singapore without much trouble while Cheng/Chien's losing streak against the top Chinese pairs continued unabated as Gao Ling and Huang Sui scored a 14th straight victory to book their spot in the finals against the Koreans. Lee/Lee, for their part, have only beaten Gao/Huang once in their career, at last year's Chinese Taipei Open while the Chinese pair have had the upper hand 5 times

There weren't many fireworks in the women's singles event. Adriyanti Firdasari gave Jun Jae-youn a run for her money in their first game but fell apart in the second to give Jun the win 23-21, 21-10. Lu Lan couldn't cope with her compatriot Xie Xingfang and Xie won 21-16, 21-12. Jun, who had a relatively easy road to the final, hasn't won this big a tournament in well over two years. She may take heart in the fact that Xie is the only one of the top Chinese women whom she has ever beaten; however, those two wins happened many years ago, before Jun injured her knee and Xie became virtually unbeatable by all but Zhang Ning. Xie has beaten Jun 4 times since, most recently a thorough trouncing in the Japan Open semi-finals.

2. RSLdude

RSLdude Regular Member

Manager
    "history does repeat itself". . .

i retrieved this pic (courtesy of lurker/ wc07) when CTF/LWW dethroned Cai and Fu during their quarterfinals match.

[​IMG]

CTF/LWW: they are now back!

[​IMG]

3. JasonMichael

JasonMichael Regular Member

IT consultant
    vching,

thanks for your bashing... they really needed it to win today... haha :)))

4. blessing

blessing Regular Member

haha.. vching was bashing actually.. i was going to scold him/her jux now.. wakak.. phew~ all m'sian final.. ROX!

5. amaze

amaze Regular Member

wow.... some new theory expounded.... self consolation :p?

6. vching

vching Regular Member

Student
    next time i bash... i have to put big big sign up to avoid misunderstanding

btw its not the first time that my gender is being confused

im a HE!!!

7. Temasek Green

Temasek Green Regular Member

Hopefully not :crying: ah-quah...lol...:D

8. robin7

robin7 Regular Member

Dreamer
    I thought it should be 2007 and 2006 World Champions instead.

9. huangkwokhau

huangkwokhau Regular Member

sales & design
    I have asked KKK to lose to their senior tomorrow..KKK just smiled...I guess he said " NO Way"

10. badMania

badMania Regular Member

Finally reached home after the Macau trip.

As expected, Kido/Hendra indeed lost to KKK/TBH in an anti-climax match :mad: It was clear that the INA pair could not overcome the mental barrier of having not won against the MAS pair and this affected their style from the start of the first set. As with previous matches against KKK/TBH, Kido/Hendra again let them establish a healthy lead which was difficult to overturn and too many times they were let down by their own unforced errors :cool:

The second set was even more difficult to watch and it reminded me of the second set of the Chinese-Taipei Open Final, only this time, Kido/Hendra's role was reversed...they were at the receiving ends. Lots of uncharacteristic errors and very poor performance from Markis Kido. He looked tense from the start and that affected the INA pair's rhtym. The MAS pair wrapped up the second set without even breaking a sweat :eek:

Indeed, this is probably Kido/Hendra's WORST performance against a non-INA pair for quite a while. Sigit Pamungkas immediately gave a prep talk after the match and he gave a very detailed analysis of the match. The INA pair simply did not appear confident of winning the match and could not execute their plan. The key thing is the next time these 2 pairs meet again, come to the court with a NOTHING TO LOSE attitude. Anyway, they are already the WORLD CHAMPION!

So, congrats to the MAS camp for a brilliant performance in the Men's Doubles today!

11. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    Teribble lah u.. if he lose.. he wnt shop for me.

12. huangkwokhau

sales & design
    Oh..I guess there is hidden agenda....hehe....I will support LWW/FTC...hehe

13. huangkwokhau

sales & design
    I and Fastdrop enjoyed Macau Open...organizer is friendly to us....hehe..Cant you guys what we got....hehe

14. badMania

badMania Regular Member

I enjoyed today as well, many thanks to Rudy Huang for his help of getting me inside the stadium.

15. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    Huh? Cant u guys what we got?

16. huangkwokhau

sales & design
    :D:D I mean I cant tell you guys what we got.....:D:D it is a nice trip so far...may be Fastdrop will tell more...but not from me for sure...;);)

17. Krisna

Krisna Regular Member

General Management
    MAS MD really excel in Macau. Good work. But we will be back... ;) INA MD are plotting our comeback as we speak...

18. badMania

badMania Regular Member

Yup...I echo Krisna's comments! WE INA Fans will not wail or jeer our players/pairs in defeat. Anyway, we still hold the TWO World Championships titles (including MD) till 2009 :D There's no doubting that :)

It's better to learn from mistakes now and hope Kido/Hendra will be stronger after this painful lesson and show us they can win the Gold next year!

19. Han

Han Regular Member

Engineer
    The MD pairs are fiercely contested, any top pair can beat one another on any given day so there's no surprise if INA to do well on next tournament except against the Malaysians, NO WAY and over my dead body :D:D:D:D
    MALAYSIA BOLEH!

20. badMania

badMania Regular Member

Yeah, we are glad MAS can win the "kachang puteh" Macau Open title as u wrote earlier, and not CHINA :D