No live telecast on Starhub Singapore?

Discussion in 'India Open / Japan Open / Chinese Taipei Open / Ma' started by Sealman, Sep 13, 2007.

1. Sealman

Sealman Regular Member

Racquet Collector
    I just checked the online programme guide and realised that there will not be any live telecast of the semi-final and final matches on the Sports Channels. And yet the subscription rates have gone up! :mad:

2. chgoh25

chgoh25 Regular Member

what the fissssssh?

3. liangyuanruo

liangyuanruo Regular Member

lousy channels!! they hardly show badminton. usually only WC, Olympics and AE, sudirman and thomas cups. lucky if they show anyth else.

4. xymaerts

xymaerts Regular Member

Can't wait to watch LCW vs LD.. will try to record it..

5. xbro88

xbro88 Regular Member

I totally agree... everyday price increase but quality no increase :cool:

#5 xbro88, Sep 14, 2007
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2007
  6. pjswift

pjswift Regular Member

SCV subscribers in Singapore, please understand. If you are unhappy about the pitiful badminton telecast, try and call 1633 to register your complaint otherwise SCV thinks badminton fans are happy with their limited badminton schedule.
    There are 3 actionable options available:
    1) Cancel SCV subscription
    2) Cancel Sports Package
    3) If you can't do 1) or 2) ,then call 1633 to ask why there's no badminton SS telecast. Let them know their oversight REGULARLY before each SS.So far , badminton fans have been subsidising EPL fans.
    I have just done 2) and 3). it's not going to hurt their bottom line but it can make you feel better that you can direct the $25 monthly to some other more deserving cause.
    Do something.Call or email.Complain to the right people. Not here.

7. armortec800df

armortec800df Regular Member

Yes, you're right. Everyone here should starts writing or calling to starhub to wake them up that there are other sports to telecast as well beside always soccer, tennis and F1 formula race. Else, the monthly $25 pay are just subsidising those common sports that they telecast.

8. MSHSBadmPlayer

MSHSBadmPlayer Regular Member

yes, its time that we do something about it. badminton should be recognised as a international sport.

9. drifit

drifit newbie

PM
    badminton is an international sport. just the quantity that want to watch which sport will determine the what will the tv going to show. as business, money comes first, profit is what the directors aim for. sponsorship to provide live telecast and who wants to place advertisement during that duration. advertisement on tv is calculated by how much of charge per seconds that they want to air it. less viewer/interest of that particular show/sport will be much more likely to be left out.
    as pjswift said, get more people write in to the station or get the poll of most favourite sports.

10. jimbo

jimbo Regular Member

It's sad that there's no live telecast for the SF matches on Starhub. I did as wat you advised, TERMINATED the sports channel, and used the S$25/month to buy a new pair of Yonex shoe :D

C'on, JO is one of the top SS and why no live telecast? I thought badminton is one of the top sports in SG? :mad::mad::mad: I think we need Susilo to win a medal in OG08 to wake them up...

Btw, is RTM1 showing live telecast? If yes, we still can tune in Channel39 :p

11. MSHSBadmPlayer

MSHSBadmPlayer Regular Member

i dont think that will awaken them.
    as long as there is an european player/pair in a match, the commendator on channel 21, 22, 23 and 24 would all side with them in all the badminton games i've watch on those channels.

because the commendators and channels are european too, hence

we may need peter gade, tine rasmussen, clarke/blair, gail emms/kellogg/ clarke/donna kellogg all to win the OG08 for them to wake up :D

12. armortec800df

I have already wrote in to Starhub this morning to complain about poor coverage on Badminton Live telecast. But, I guess they may not reply so soon or probably not reply at all. :D
    We need more people in this forum to either write in or call them to voice out our dissatisfaction like Pjswift mentioned.
    Else, how much we talk here is not going to help for pushing of Live telecast of badmintion in Sports channel.

13. Sealman

Sealman Regular Member

Racquet Collector
    I wrote to Starhub on the same day I started this thread. Todate I did not get any response. I guess I never will. Did you guys get any replies?

14. pjswift

pjswift Regular Member

That's very good. They will reply cos they have to, maybe in a week or so.FYI the finals of the JO will be delayed telecast in mid OCT.Don't miss the MSF on 15 Oct, Mon 8pm LCWvsTH. 65 mins of breathtaking badminton.(Dates may change)
    You can also call them before 6pm for same day response.
    Important thing is they get many badminton queries so they know how popular badminton is in Singapore.
    First time I ever called them years ago, they said nobody called so they gathered nobody's interested.
    SCV judge demand by the number of queries they receive.So please keep calling or emailing.Ask and you will get, if not now,then in future with new budgeting.
    In the meantime I'm a JB weekend badminton tourist if the sf and f matches are good.
    Actually Astro should consider marketing their telecast through the internet. I know some Japanese TV networks do that for their programmes.

15. Linus

Linus Regular Member

Manager
    Actually it might work faster if the letter is written to the press comment pages - by any company standard, they will surely reply to an open letter like that.

But as pjswift says, and to be fair to Starhub, there are delayed telecast. Like the China Open they braodcasted few weeks back.

I know it is not as good as live telecast, but in the likes of football, tennis, golf, which almost guarantee the channel a sponsor, I can understand from financial stand point why badminton is not Starhub favourite.

Although I very much like to see every SS live, I have to adjust my expectation. That way, I live happier.

16. pjswift

pjswift Regular Member

Agree with you, Linus. Writing to the press is more effective (if it gets published) I don't mind drafting out the letter provided it can be supported by many of the Spore members to have more clout with numbers.There's no need for names, just the SCV account number but we need a lead name as the writer. I cannot use my real name because it's not a common name. If any of you have a common name then it'll be great to use that, eg John Tan (as in NRIC) or you don't mind to volunteer your name.
    Actually you are a good thinker and writer so maybe you have a go at the draft and everyone pitch in to make it better. How about it?

17. Linus

Linus Regular Member

Manager
    Can do. Will draft something out asap.

18. walio

walio Regular Member

Freelance
    turn to RTM1 or go to your relatives hse in JB.....hehehe

19. armortec800df

Nope. It has been a week for my case. Guess, they probably not reply.
    Probably StarHub sports channel producer do not know what is Badminton afterall. So sad...

20. armortec800df

It was so pathetic for the China Open delayed telecast. It was screened at odd hour and break up to few days. I find that very disrupting, becos' after watching one match then no more... you have to either have to wait till the next day or few days later for another match to be shown.
    Look at how long they broadcast the Golf tournament... Tennis...F1 Formula Race basically every week, how many matches of EPL in a week. Now they added American Football in ESPN. Badminton??? No where to be found or once in a blue moon. Sigh...