Tine Rasmussen beat Zhang Ning

Discussion in 'India Open / Japan Open / Chinese Taipei Open / Ma' started by klaphat, Sep 14, 2007.

1. THEbaschti

THEbaschti Regular Member

What a great tournament for Tine! Congrats, I'm so happy she won^^

2. cth14

cth14 Regular Member

student
    :Dwow...she can beat XXF.....Great job Tine:D:D

3. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    Her country is celebrating for her right now. She cant believe it when she won. She only felt that she really won when she step on the Podium.

4. zqloy

zqloy Regular Member

Keep it up Tine! What a dream run indeed!

5. Oldhand

Oldhand Moderator

Broadcast Systems Integration
    What A Run!

Precisely.:mad:

Why can't it be just that Tine Rasmussen won because she happens to be better than the others (at least at this moment?) :confused:

Xie Xingfang, Zhang Ning, Xu Huaiwen, Jiang Yanjiao and every opponent that came Tine's way lost to her not because of:
    1. the draft or drift (does this magically affect only one player? :eek:), or
    2. injury (no pro would play when injured), or
    3. marital status (yep, we even heard that one :eek:), or
    4. age (it's not like China doesn't have younger players), or
    5. arthritis (who would field a player that can't bend? :eek:), or
    6. tiredness (go home and play chess if you aren't physically fit :mad:).

Neither was it because Li Yongobo said she's a good player :confused: (well, this one sure takes the cake)

To put it bluntly, Tine Rasmussen won because the others weren't just good enough to beat her in September 2007. :)

6. roller

roller Regular Member

Congratulations to Tina!

Feel sad for XXF....

7. wierdngifted

wierdngifted Regular Member

artist
    Congratulations to her after beating 5 chinese women in a row is such a feat!maybe before she started playing in JO,she ate a lot of chinese food so she can be a chinese in beating a fellow chinese!HAHAHAHA! just kidding!
    better celebrate her victory in a chinese restaurant there in Japan!!

8. chibe_K

chibe_K Regular Member

Thats why Denmark is the greatest badminton nation in history !!! Considering its population to CHN, INA, ..ok lets include MAL here, how many world class players has Denmark produced in the past !!!

9. jimbo

jimbo Regular Member

Fairytale ending for Rasmussen

TOKYO: Danish underdog Tine Rasmussen kept up her giant-killing acts right until the end of the Japan Open here yesterday.

Rasmussen, who upset a clutch of the world's top eight players on her march to the title, stunned two-time world champion Xie Xingfang of China 21-15, 21-17 for her biggest career title thus far.
    “I just feel so happy,” said the jubilant Dane, who pocketed US$13,800 for the win.

“I knew when I was going to play this match, I would just go onto court and enjoy myself without thinking of winning or losing.

“If I lost, I would be happy anyway. So I was pretty relaxed and I could feel that Xingfang was maybe a little nervous and made some mistakes. But I knew that she was going to fight back to win. I just kept my tactics all the way.”

Rasmussen beat a player of Chinese origin and three other high-ranked shuttlers from China on the way to the final.

The first was 2006 European champion Xu Huaiwen of Germany followed by Asian champion Jiang Yanjiao, world number one Zhang Ning and Lu Lan.

“I knew the first one was going to be tough. I played Huaiwen many times and I won only once a long time ago,” she said.

“I've been close to beating some young Chinese players but I never felt to beat Zhang Ning and Xingfang. So beating all five Chinese in the same tournament is incredible for me.”

Camilla Martin of Denmark, the winner here in 2003, was the only previous European player to have done that.
    “I never thought I was going to compare myself with her (Martin) but in this tournament, I absolutely do,” added Rasmussen. – AFP

10. klaphat

klaphat Regular Member

Explanation

First of all - what a tournament Tine and congratulations.. Superb.. that's the word..

And now let me explan why I started this thread with the question I did...

The reason is that I have followed Tine very closely over the years...

She has been haunted by injuries so many times and now at age 28 or 29 (I forgot which) she certainly has not been convincing the past couple of months. Locally here in Denmark she has been in trouble playing against rather inferior players.. And that was very recently.. and the international track record has not been impressive either..

But no doubt - she must have found her rythm in an amazing way.. with the many impressive consecutive wins in Japan.. Incredible.. I'm hoping so much that she can keep it up in future.. Denmark needs somebody else to win to keep badminton popular when Gade/Jonassen are not winning anything.. but nonetheless.. an amazing tournament..

11. X Ball

X Ball Regular Member

I knew it would come for her because in the last tournament (or so, I cannot remember exactly when) she did well beating a top Malaysian player - her rhythm was right in the JO and she made less mistakes. If she keeps it up, Denmark has a lot to cheer for.

12. V3i HoN6

V3i HoN6 Regular Member

I think that is an equivalent of Boonsak or Ronald or Simon or any player beside LCW and TH beaten CJ, CY, CH, BCL, LD all in a single tournament MS.
    Something very very notable.
    If somehow WMC able to do that for once, she will be crowned Datuk and be given Millions of dollar.

13. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    What a breath of Fresh Air! At least we have an european non-chinese player who in on a podium and have to beat 5 chinese en-route to the Gold Medal. I don't think even Camilla did that before. I just hope that Tine will be able to maintain it.

14. Louisa

Louisa Regular Member

Well said...Tine reserves it, though ZN defeat made me :crying: 4 2 hours in the toilet:D:D:D

be a rationale fan:p

15. X Ball

X Ball Regular Member

How can a fan be rationale if the player is irrational (i.e. losing when they should be winning) ? So be irrational like me : when everybody thinks LD/Taufik will win, go for LCW !:D

16. OneToughBirdie

OneToughBirdie Regular Member

engineer

17. X Ball

X Ball Regular Member

18. pjswift

pjswift Regular Member

Totally agree. I'm so happy for Tine and Denmark. It's good to see JR/LP back in form and RJ/TL improving in the XD.(Hopefully Laybourne will remember to have two good rackets ready on standby instead of a broken one.) Maybe having Morten Frost as match coach makes a winning difference.
    But I don't think it's fair to compare with Camilla. CM's times' tougher cos of OSS and all her CHN WS opponents are experienced unlike Tine's which is a mix ranging from old hens to young chicks.
    Still, Tine's fantastic! She broke down the Great Wall and won in her first final! Wow, I would vote her 'Player of the tournament'
    Maybe she's late bloomer like ZN. Hope she remembers to keep trim. In SO07, she looked easily like carrying 5 kg excess baggage on court, wasting a lot of precious energy.Sometimes the difference between winning and losing is dedicated gym work.

19. OneToughBirdie

OneToughBirdie Regular Member

engineer

20. X Ball

X Ball Regular Member