Taufik "best player in the world", says Lin

Discussion in 'India Open / Japan Open / Chinese Taipei Open / Ma' started by apontoh, Sep 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. apontoh

apontoh Regular Member

China's Lin reach Japan Open badminton semis, Zhang out

1 hour ago
    TOKYO (AFP) — China's world number ones in badminton earned mixed results at the Japan Open on Friday, with men's top seed Lin Dan securing a spot in the semi-finals and women's defending champ Zhang Ning crashing out.
    Lin, the current world champion and two-time defending title holder here who has not lost since July, shrugged off a 5-10 deficit in the second game to score a 21-16, 21-19 win over Denmark's Peter Gade.
    "I was able to play the way I wanted to play, but I'm not still in my best form," said Lin, known as Super Dan to his fans.
    "Overall I haven't practiced well after winning the world championships. I'm just on my way to regaining my top form."
    Lin is on course for a probable final showdown against Athens Olympic gold medallist Taufik Hidayat of Indonesia, a winner over Park Sung-Hwan of South Korea, 21-17, 21-18.
    "I think Taufik is the best player in the world. He has won the Olympics and the world championships. I always play trying to catch up with him," said Lin.
    Hidayat said: "I won the gold medal in the 2004 Olympics, but I was still young then. It's a competition of the highest level, but I still have some titles I haven't won yet.
    "The people of my country expect me to do more. That's what keeps me continuing to play badminton."
    In the semi-finals on Saturday, Lin will take on Commonwealth Games gold medallist Lee Chong Wei of Malaysia, the fourth seed who breezed past fifth-seeded Chen Jin of China, 21-7, 21-16.
    Hidayat will face compatriot Simon Santoso, the winner over Chan Yan-kit of Hong Kong, 21-16, 21-16.
    On the women's side, Zhang, who is also the reigning Olympic gold medallist, blamed her own erratic play -- and the strong air conditioning -- for her 21-13, 16-21, 21-18 loss to Denmark's Tine Rasmussen.
    "In the first game, the wind was against me, so I hit the shuttle longer, but it was unstable and often went out," said Zhang, who lost for the first time here since the 2004 semi-finals.
    "But I don't feel like I was beaten in a rally. I made too many mistakes. That's why I lost.
    "Beside, in the recent women's singles, many players started to play with more power. Today, her shuttle often came to where I hadn't expected it to come. I couldn't cope with the shots," said Zhang.
    Rasmussen has had an impressive tournament so far, beating three top players -- 2006 European champion Xu Huaiwen of Germany, current Asian champion Jiang Yanjiao of China, and then Zhang.
    But the Dane will not have a chance in the semi-finals to avenge her loss at the world championships to Hong Kong's Wang Chen, who fell to China's Lu Lan 21-11, 12-21, 21-17.
    In the other semi-final, three-time All England champion Xie Xingfang of China will face Jun Jae-Youn of South Korea.
    Xie easily brushed aside former Chinese national team member Pi Hongyan, now representing France, 21-15, 21-16, while Jun stopped an excellent run by Hong Kong's Yip Pui-yin with a 25-27, 21-6, 21-8 win.

2. xymaerts

xymaerts Regular Member

Hope LCW will win tomorrow in order to let LD know that there is another BEST player in the world

3. Dreamzz

Dreamzz Regular Member

there's no doubt in my mind that TH is the most talented player, but he just lacks consistency and motivation. i think if he had buckled down and just concentrated on his game, he would have completely dominated the singles scene for the last 5 years or so.

4. extremenanopowe

extremenanopowe Regular Member

Chief Coach. The best and still active.
    www.extreme-power.org or xtremexn.blogspot.com
    He's gifted and has a very natural way of playing. Agree on the motivation part. He would have won all the tournaments he wanted. A good final definitely.

5. Chire

Chire Regular Member

Heh there's no way I'd believe Lin Dan actually said that. I mean, what the heck, Lin Dan has been at the very top for like 3 years already and has beaten Taufik more times than Taufik has beaten him, so why would he ever say such a thing.

6. taufik-ist

taufik-ist Regular Member

it administrator
    TH won olympic and lindan haven't yet.. that's why lindan still respects TH :D

7. Krisna

Krisna Regular Member

General Management
    Because deep in Lin Dan's heart, he knows the same truth that many others know: Taufik is the best player in the world [when properly conditioned and motivated]... ;) Because Lin Dan played Taufik many times, he knows even more than the rest of us... that Taufik is actually more talented than him!

But we can all give Lin credit for his conditioning, consistency, and dedication to being excellent all the time. These 3 things are the things that prevented Taufik from being the Federer of Badminton...

#7 Krisna, Sep 14, 2007
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2007
  8. Gabriyel

Gabriyel Regular Member

What exactly defines who is the best player in the world? Is it world ranking (based not only on results, but on number of results...)? Is it number of titles? Olympic medals?
    I think that we, and by we I mean all of us not in the top players of the world, don't understand the difference between the best players and the players that actually win. If Lin Dan says he thinks Taufik is the best player of the world even though Super Dan has a better ranking and has won more games against him than the opposite, maybe we ought to think about an important statement like that, We obviously missed something.

9. Krisna

Krisna Regular Member

General Management
    After you play someone for more than 10 times, you can conclude in your heart who actually has more talent... ;) Lin played Taufik enough times that he can form a better opinion than the rest of us...

10. killest

killest Regular Member

Thats the typical human reaction when they see someone playing great... "if i tried and trained as much as him id be much better than him...". Dont get me wrong Taufik is very talented but hes not better than Lin Dan. Yes at his absolute best he can beat Lin Dan, but being at your "absolute best" is dependent upon so many different factors that the final comparison must lie on statistics. I believe people put WAY too much importance on talent and use that to determine who is better. At the end of the day... talent is God given and it is not something YOU did, you were just born with it, so kudos to those who work hard and BECOME the best.... Go Lin Dan!!!!!

11. badMania

badMania Regular Member

Well, Taufik Hidayat HAS WON the Olympics and Asian Games Individual Event GOLD MEDALS.

When it comes to the crunch match (WC 2005 and AG Indiv Final), Lin Dan ALWAYS CRUMBLE! I am not surprised Lin Dan actually mentioned that Taufik is the BEST PLAYER in the world right now.

Gee...I am beginning to sound more and more like indra :eek:

12. OneToughBirdie

OneToughBirdie Regular Member

engineer
    'Not completely dominated' but would give LD a good run...you know that is difficult for TH to do, because the nightclub, smoking, partying, pretty girls...too much to give up...hehehe!!!:D:p

13. THEbaschti

THEbaschti Regular Member

100% agree to that, what you make of yourself by training is much more honorable than given talent.
    This is not ment to discredit Taufik, who is a great player but I respect someone who is so determined and dedicated to get to the top more than someone who can achieve nearly everything because of his talent and therefore doesn't train as hard as he could (not saying this is the case with TH ;) )

14. huangkwokhau

huangkwokhau Regular Member

sales & design
    What make you think LD would not say it? LD is not superman that no one can beat him.....:cool::cool: it seems that you know LD so well inside out...:D

For him to make this statement,it shows that LD knows that beating TH is not always easy and tough.....also he shows his respect to TH which he knows that TH always gets important titles....it is good that it shows LD is a bit humble....

15. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    i agree. i can believe LD actually said that. it shows that he has respect to his fellow player and competitor. such respect is hard to come by these days in the age of trash talking. i in turn have given LD much more respect for being humble towards his fellow players. badminton has historically been a sport of the gentlemen and hats off to LD for saying that.

16. kokcheng

kokcheng Regular Member

There is beyond a shadow of a doubt that Taufik is the best player of the world.I fully agree with Krisna he will be the Federer of badminton if his fitness,commitment and dedication is in place.

17. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    LinDan always knew that Taufik is the best. Taufik want to be the best if he wants to. But unfortunately he is not showing it at times.

18. Han

Han Regular Member

Engineer
    Taufik has been trying hard but like what he said, he's not a youngster anymore so can no longer play the power game once was fear by many. Still, we expect him to reach final against either Chong Wei or Lin Dan unless Simon has something else in mind :D

19. huangkwokhau

huangkwokhau Regular Member

sales & design
    SS almost beat TH in Badminton Superleague...tough to play someone that you train with everyday....he may well beat TH...lets see.!!..of course TH has a better chance to deal with LCW or LD in final than SS....

20. ye333

ye333 Regular Member

Exactly. TH can never be as quick and powerful as before leh.

Let me do an advertisement for Han now. People, buy the 2004 Ind Open MSSF LD - TH disc, a great match. All three games fast as crazy. TH was fast, powerful, technically great; LD was even faster (like a lightning), similarly powerful, and so sharp. The best LD - TH match I have ever seen. :cool:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.