Home ground advantage, big government funding and local fans support...

Discussion in 'World Championships 2007' started by Pemuda, Aug 19, 2007.

1. Pemuda

Pemuda Regular Member

If still cannot win, why dont BAM save on the air tickets to Beijing next year and dont take part?

I think it is better we send our KKK/TBH to Penang, Kedah, Pahang Opens. Better chance of winning and get more glamour too.

Anyway, for the WC, I like the way BAM talk about winning the men's singles and doubles titles plus the fact of having 4 Msian pairs in the semis. But in the end, all kaput. LCW blamed Yap Kim Hock. Heck! they may as well blame the weather too and the fans for screaming too loud. :rolleyes:
    Malaysia should learn to be humble the next time.

The WC is really a big slap in the face for Malaysia.

I blame the traffic jams in KL for our poor performance in the WC ;)

Olympic gold next year for Msia??? Dream on, dream on .....

2. Green72(CAN)

Green72(CAN) Regular Member

Hm... Didn't LYB also say China will take all 5 golds here?

It's ok to have goals even if you don't reach them :p

3. cheekygen

cheekygen Regular Member

There are ups and downs in the performance of each country and i think it is unfair to judge the Olympic Games for now base on the performance of the World Championship. Indonesia captured 2 golds this time is the good example. They did not qualify for a semifinals in one of the WC in recent year but now they can walk tall with their achievements in this year's WC. True enough, they are problems need to be solve for the M'sia camp but i believe and have faith that they will bounce back and redeem themselves. Hopefully the WC will be a lesson to all the Malaysian..... the players, coaches, officials, ministers and even the nation that it is not winning that we come together but despite having lost, this is the time that we need to show the unity...

As for LCW, no doubt he made a mistake.... but i believe Lin Dan, Taufik also made mistakes before they became a world beater and from the mistakes they've made, they learned to be wiser and mature in their way of handling pressure surrounding them. Champions are not born...

For the Olympic Games, even the newly crowned Lin Dan mentioned that he is not 100% sure that he will win the Olympic because it is really very hard to predict,..... therefore, for Malaysia team, it could be difficult but not impossible...

#3 cheekygen, Aug 19, 2007
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2007
  4. Pemuda

Pemuda Regular Member

Men singles gold
    Women singles gold
    Women doubles gold

gold + gold + gold = 3 golds (China)

For Malaysia,
    Men singles = kaput (Yap Kim Hock's fault la)
    Women singles = zero
    Women doubles = zero
    Mixed doubles = zero
    Men doubles = BIG FAT ZERO (too much pressure la)

0+0+0+0+0+0 = 0 gold

Am sure you can tell the difference.

Maybe the goals should be set lower next time. Kedah Open, Penang Open??? ;)

5. bcmmgr

bcmmgr Regular Member

Well I may be wrong, but this is what I feel:

I think there is nothing wrong with the MAS players in term of skills,tactics and strategies. The main factors of them are mental and attitude. I believe they do show good tactics and strategies during the training. That's why the coach are confortable with them during the preparation. But when come to the competition, especially the BIG one, they always cannot get pass their mentality and psychology.

I think most of the coach know this about MAS players, other country used this as a weapon to beat MAS players, and many coach work with MAS players try to use different approch to help in this matter, unfortunately so far nothing has work out very well. Amoung all I think Indra Gunawan is the only coach can balance up MAS players mentality and psychology, he know how to prepare players "Think OK" during the competiton, that why he is quite success with MAS team, with the same players, LSS, Hazif, Roslin, WCH, LWW, CTF, they manage to win Men team gold in SEA games, and runner up in 2002 thomas cup.

Unless MAS players have right attitude, good mentality and psychology, else I don't think any of them can win world championships or Olympic.

Pressure is not an excuse, all the players participate has pressure, I can tell you Lin Dan has the most pressure during WC, and yet he managed it well and he did it.

And finally, MAS team always has another excuse called "Next Time", in thomas cup 2006 lost, they said is ok to lost in TC06, so they know how to do it Next Time in Surdiman07, in Surdiman07 lost, they said is ok to lost in Surdiman07, and the lost give them experience on how to overcome Next time.......and now WC07 lost, still ok, cause this will give them alert to prepare well in Olympic 08......and go on and go on....and another 50 years.....I bet you still no MAS world champion......

6. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    exactly. maybe i should go whine whine whine how China should've won MD and XD as well because of yadda yadda yadda.

but i won't, because i understand that in competition, sometimes you win, and sometimes you lose. i understand that the players themselves wants to win and they have tried their best and we should not blame them. they are also sad for their lost i am sure.

i hope you do too.

i also hope that they will go home, don't get discouraged, but instead work harder to come back and win it next time.

and i try to not discourage them by whining how they overpromise and underperform.

7. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Regular Member

Student
    Kalah menang adat pertandingan.However, I think they should have a humble target next time around.It's ok to target a gold or whatever but the pressure is high for them to achieve it more so in front of the home crowd.Their mental strength should be strong.They must be calm and patient during crucial moments so that mistakes could be avoided.Oh yes...Kedah Open and Penang Open...wow...a very big help to our players..world class players:rolleyes: All I need to say is that they should learn from their mistakes and bounce back stronger.They need to prove to all of us that they can do it:D

8. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    and lastly i want to add that i am sick of some of the Malaysian fans, who call them fans but in reality, they are not true fans because they only care about their player winning but don't support them when they are lost and down.

9. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Regular Member

Student
    I agree.I'm sick of 'fans' like that.They are not true supporters.We should support our players, win or lose.We should give them encouragement, not discourage them with rude remarks.These kind of people should not call themselves fans but mere spectators.Generally Malaysians are like that.They should change their attitude and believe in the players.I know I do:D

10. zqloy

zqloy Regular Member

The only Mas player i still see the champion quality in them is KKK/TBH. Dont see any other player hv wat it takes to be a WC.
    So, TBH u better buck up and learn how to shoulder the responsibility.
    Not too worry abt KKK, he is a big match player, hving the qualities of a fighter.

11. badMania

badMania Regular Member

INDEED...I want to write something on them after the defeat of CTF/LWW on Saturday but fear that u might ban me :p

12. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Regular Member

Student
    TBH needs to mature and develop into a stronger player.He is young and I can see he is easily affected when things are going wrong for him and KKK.Hopefully all of them will become better players.

13. Blurry D

Blurry D Regular Member

Corporate Strategy
    I cant agree more with kwun..sigh...why cant you all be more supportive.. you think that it is so easy begin out the battling for the name of Malaysia...There can be such an amount of stress that you don realise.

14. Pemuda

Pemuda Regular Member

Not true. I said earlier that the efforts by Wong Mew Choo and LWW/CTF were commendable. They gave their all. Dont get us 'fans' wrong that we care only for winning. We know in a competition that winning and losing is part and parcel of the game. The issue here is the effort.

Before the WC, BAM got over confidence and predicted 2 titles and 4 men pairs in the semis. Now, having a goal is fine. But the way our players fell in the early rounds to lower ranked opponents is something else. Followed by the excuses like pressure and blaming Yap Kim Hock, now thats poor taste.

My 2 cents.

15. cheekygen

cheekygen Regular Member

Sometimes, coaches were caught in a catch-22 situation too when they were asked about the chances of their charges in a particular tournament. For example, YKH was being asked for the expectation of the WC.... it is impossible for him to give a negative feedback expectation and as a chief coach, he need to show his confidence of his charges. No doubt LCW, KKK&TBH were the best bet but when the media became the medium of communication between a coach and a player, miscommunication can occur........ the statements in the media became the indirect pressure to the players. Therefore, the issue between LCW and YKH could be an unfortunate case of miscommunication.

16. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    i wont' ban someone if the intent and analysis of the article is sound. on the other hand, if the intent is clearly to troll, or has any discriminatory tone to it, then i won't promise anything.

mind you though, it is a slippery slope to go to because it is a sensitive issue. i have explicitly said "some of the Malaysian fans" because i can see that there are still true fans in Malaysia, only some of the spoiled it for everyone else.

17. zqloy

zqloy Regular Member

Heard that he cried during an after match interview. It is heartbreaking. Its not easy to shoulder such big responsibility at such tender age. Hopefully he will learn from LD on how to be a real champion.

18. lurker

lurker Regular Member

i wonder if XXF receives the same kind of 'reception' back in China after she lost to WMC?

19. cheekygen

cheekygen Regular Member

"Tough people are not born.... they are made when there was no one there to wipe their tears away..."

20. kokcheng

kokcheng Regular Member

how true.It's so common to read of such comments.If it is the other way,the praises will go sky high.Anyway let's give credits to the opponents who defeated them.Hopefully,they will learn their lessons.