A Big Slap To Liyongbo

Discussion in 'Thailand Open 2007 / China Open (1) 2007 / Philipp' started by the_way, Jul 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. the_way

the_way Regular Member

Natsir/Vita had demolished the chinese in their home ground. Nobody would dare to say china will lose in WD. To take one set from them is already consired a huge achievement.

This is not a win by luck or some tricks. In fact, they beat the full strength chinese ladies. The chinese pairs are totally a standard above the rest. In fact...before china masters...everyone predicted they will make clean sweep in the semis I can expect upset to happen in WS because there are some chinese players representing france, german and also mew choo, tracey, yip pui yin had created some upsets before this.

From the past records...I could hardly recall when a non chinese ladies pair win a big tournament/open. The 90s was gefei and gu jun total domination followed up by gaoling and huang sui. Later on, yang wei and zhang jiewen challenged gao/huang. Not just that, for the past 5 yrs...there are so many new strong ladies doubles from china...weiyili, zhaotingting, du jing , yu yang, and etc....in fact...it is considered a big achievement if u can steal a set from the chinese ladies...just like what ra kyung min and her partner had done. But i dont think ra kyung min had won ladies double event in the present of all top ranked double pairs from china.

So, INA win is considered a huge huge success...in front of china crowd and with the present of 5 formidable pairs from china...congrats to the INA pair. I think the fact that they played in mixed doubles have made them very strong in WD. They dont fear chinese ladies smashes. When u play mixed, natsir and vita gotta have solid defense. Imagine how hardcore is zhang jun, nathan robertson smashes...so..if they are able to defend those smashes...to retrieve huang sui or zhang jiewen smashes are just a piec of cake.

2. Contactjj

Contactjj Regular Member

Congrats to INA pari. They did well.

Why is it a slap at LYB? Sports is sports. Better players win and others loose. Everyone has a chance to become better and to win next time.

Is it appropriate to bring in personal hatred? To me these kind of comments really are flies in the otherwise taste soup. Please, don't spoil the game.

#2 Contactjj, Jul 15, 2007
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2007
  3. Krisna

Krisna Regular Member

General Management
    Dude, Li Yongbo has a certain negative reputation among many BC members [and even my badminton buddies outside BC]... :p Many of us think of him as arrogant, boisterous, unsportsmanlike, blablabla... [built over years by his actions such as: threatening LCW that he will break LCW's bones, faking injury withdrawals so his players can rest etc...]

I myself have never liked him since I first saw him in 1985...

#3 Krisna, Jul 15, 2007
  4. Speed & Power

Speed & Power Regular Member

Its just a one off...Well the Indon pair played well but in badminton/sports you win sometimes and lose sometimes, it is not a "huge" failure to the Chinese, they played well too but just lost to the better pair of the day.

A "slap on LiYongbo's face" would mean that no Chinese WD pair have been winning championships for a long long time....and you know that is not the case. So please think twice before posting such comments

5. the_way

the_way Regular Member

hmmm...well...i am just telling what i like. it is indeed more painful than a slap for liyongbo. i bet many of you out there agree with what i have said. ;). Liyongbo is very rude and arrogant most of the time. So, I am considered very polite for not using foul language when refering to him.

6. taufik-ist

taufik-ist Regular Member

it administrator
    2 top china pairs lost to new ina pair (unseeded Wd) in front of their home spectators, :p
    you think it's not a big slap to LYB :D :D

7. Contactjj

Contactjj Regular Member

Is it a execute for us to behave badly when others did?

I know what you talking about. I have been following this forum for over 2 years and followed tournaments since 1980s. No, it is not an execuseable reason.

What is the reason we oppose some deeds LYB has done? We are holding the ruler for fairness that should apply to anyone including ourself.

8. huangkwokhau

huangkwokhau Regular Member

sales & design
    actually INA in Indo open got a bigger slap as no titles for INA.
    4 titles is considered " BIG SUCCESS" for LYB....I do not like LYB also as I met him in HK years ago...it is true that he lookded down on other contries' players, praising chinese players all the time ( it is okay, patriotism).
    I do not agree that this is big slap for LYB at all....he is caught off guard that WD is gone which has been a quarantee of CHN WD titles for many years...I, even now still hard to believe that INA WD won, let alone with new pair and in china....it is huge success, but not a slap on LYB...

9. taufik-ist

taufik-ist Regular Member

it administrator
    but it ruined LYB's perfect result

10. huangkwokhau

sales & design
    I am sure which in some cases, even reported in HK newspaper that LYB tends to talk bad things about other countries' players which is not good ( calling them stupid, etc)....thats why he is arrogant but at the same time, CHN is very strong time so whatever he says or criticise something can be true so I do wnat to advise LYB that it is good to keep your mouth shut....
    when I met him before, he did not look at your eyes when shaking hands, etc....this is a signal that he has big head....again, he does the best for CHN so no one can sya anything..he delivers the result....I am not defending him but this is fair to say about LYB

11. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    now let's look at this objectively, here is a WD team that has been bulldozing over every single international tournament for don't know how many decades. now they tripped a little and then some of you are celebrating over it? i think that's rather childish behavior. i suggest ppl look at the big picture. unless INA starts winning tournament over tournament in WD, i wouldn't celebrate too quickly.

12. huangkwokhau

sales & design
    For INA fans, it is like a rain drop in desert.....as you know that INA especially in ladies department, hardly has any teeth/claws to beat any players ...even Thai/Taipei or singapore challenge INA in the last 4 yrs...INA women has been at the very bottom...so it is understandble that INA fans celebrate this victory, from new pair to win in China's soil is huge..again as I said taht this is not a big slap at all for LYB....

13. the_way

the_way Regular Member

hahahaaha..come on kwun....you are saying that ppl who brag abt natsir and vita victory as childish? the WD in china masters features chinese armada led by gao ling and huang sui. I dont have to list down their success...in fact the gold silver and bronze in the recent world championship, all england, olympic are all belong to the chinese players who played in this china masters. So. to demolish 2 chinese pairs in front of a stadium with almost full capacity in CHINA is also childish to you?

What about when ppl brag about the victory of tony gunawan and howard bach after the WC in anaheim? Do you call them as childish?

14. xofrevlis

xofrevlis Regular Member

Student
    I think it's something worth celebrating, albeit not for China supporters like myself. If this turns out to be a freak-occurance blip then there may not be anything else to celebrate about for a long time as far as WD is concerned. The Indonesian girls did what was required of them and in China's own back yard too, so I think the victory is very creditable.

Many people dislike LYB, me included so it's no real surprise that here are people out there who want to rub it in his face. I won't say anything about their behaviour in that regard but if they want to stoop to the same level as LYB then that's their business.

Anyway, congratulations Lilyana and Vita, you did magnificently. If something like this doesn't happen again for some time, I'd just like to point out now that I don't think one-shot wonders get enough credit. However brief and one-shot it is, they still had to beat their opponents like anyone else. Though the fans of later generations may forget their achievements, they'll be etched into the history books for eternity.

15. sumbadder

sumbadder Regular Member

I don't think kwun actually means it's childish to herald Vita/Natsir's win. They played brilliantly, moving the bird and themselves with more pace than YW/ZTT were used to. I think he's just saying that given the fact that this was just a single win amongst the hundreds of consistent wins that China WD's has achieved, to praise the INA women as the be all end all of LYB's female army is a little short-sighted. I'd say that they will become a very strong pair in the WD realm and will challenge the CHN team, but I think them winning will still be the exception rather than the rule.

As an aside, ZTT has some ridiculous net-skills. She's oddly quick for someone of her size and has awesome control of her racket. Too bad she's not as good of an all-around player like YW so she often leaves YW running and picking up slack.

16. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    no. i don't mean celebrating is childish. sorry if my msg came across that way. but i mean laughing at LYB for one lost of his team while they normally win every other tournament is childish.

if you read my msg in the final thread, you will see that i was actually cheering for Butet and Vita. i think they totally deserve the win.

17. viver

viver Regular Member

At the end of the day, this is only beneficial to badminton as a whole. Normally people do not want to watch ladies doubles when the semis to finals are usually occupied by Chinese players. Having teams from other countries competing for the title makes the matches more interesting.

Congratulations to the Indonesian ladies doubles team. Wish they can get more often to the later stages and make the matches more exciting.

Is this a slap to LYB? Maybe if one like to think so. We'll see what actions he will adopt for the tournaments to come.

#17 viver, Jul 15, 2007
  18. markhamplayer

markhamplayer Regular Member

I know there are lot of people out there want to slap LYB's face but let face it, they are only humans & no human beings are unbeatable. LYB has an attitude but this guy acheives a lot, as a player & as a coach. He works very hard to keep his ass on this "spot" as an head coach of team China otherwise he would have been "butted" out for a long time & nobody cares if he is being slapped in the face or not.
    I hope that the Chinese WD team members do not have to write "regreting letters" since they don't have nothing to regret about. The only regretable people should be the coaches themselves.
    On the other hand, the INA coaches did a beautiful job this time to acheive this "breakthrough" since they have been studying the Chinese for a long time.
    I'm thinking it may be the Korean be the one on next "breakthrough".

19. huangkwokhau

sales & design

I posted previously, the secret is having more tomboys ( more muscles) to compete chinese competitively....:D last time, INA WD won is 2001 Indonesia open, Vita marissa/Deyana Lomban....since then INA ladies has been down to the bottom of the sea....so INA fans have a right to celebrate as we will not know when INA will win again...LYB will have a big meeting soon and plan strategy to best these tomboys in future tounaments.....

It indeed makes the sport more exciting...

20. hollywood_t

hollywood_t Regular Member

Deja Vu part deux

Yes easy folks, this is the first step to longer term success nothing more. Relish the moment but time to move on to the next goal. At least that is how I hope the Indonesian ladies are taking it and using it as positive feedback versus a sense of our job is done.

It seems the same debate of acknowlege the achievment vs. pushing hard for the next victory has visited BC forum before ala Malaysian doubles and KKK-TBH. So let's leave the debate and just hope for more excellent badminton from a potentially new set of stars.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.