2007 Sudirman Cup - Day 7 - Sunday - FINALS

Discussion in 'Sudirman Cup 2007' started by kwun, Jun 16, 2007.

1. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    I'm impress with how Gao Ling played yesterday. She was really under pressure. But then Its GAO LING! :)

2. markchan

markchan Regular Member

Yeah, the smiling assasin...hehehe.

I agree that to solve tis playing order issue, a fixed order shud be employed rather than the draw from the hat. The much used XD,MS,WS,MD and WD seems good as it wud also provide any player involved in 2 doubles matches the minimum 30 mins rest time.

3. Joyous

Joyous Regular Member

Yes this lady is so composed. This is something not every good player has esp. when the points are so tight and the set/match is closing up. When the umpire stucked to the line judge's decision when it was called good for INA, ZB was upset but GL was encouraging.

4. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    yup, similar situation at 2005 sudirman cup too where GL set the tone of the match. It is where the famous long rally shown everywhere came from. Afterward (not shown), GL flick served and sealed the match against INA.

5. CLELY

CLELY Regular Member

Again sad ending story from INA team in Glasgow...lost 0-3 from the magnificent CHN, so painful Indonesian pride the Sudirman Cup must staying longer in Great Wall. As predicted earlier, after Flandy/Vita failed to beat Zheng/Gao plus unfavourable order-to-play, no hope to INA squad won this final. 2 years later in Guangzhou, I guess INA still doubtly can bring back SC to homeland.

Yeah, once more CHN shows their domination in badminton world. Gao Ling is absolutely amazing shuttler to play her important role for CHN victory, she's the real star. Congratz!

6. abedeng

abedeng Regular Member

Occupying Tall Buildings
    The best thing about Gao Ling is, when she got the bad line call, she played even better.

That masterful performance must have satisfied LYB immensely. I will really miss seeing Gao Ling play when the time comes for her retirement.

And did you see how CHN panel of coaches kept giving lengthy pointers, criticism and advice immediately after the match has ended, as if the game is still on. Good to remind your charges of their mistakes while the match is still fresh in their minds ...... I don't see this happening with other teams.

Still, INA XD will see this as an opportunity lost, it was indeed the right call to play Flandy/Vita as they had great team spirit and were not outclassed. In the end, a few bad service fault calls and trick flick serves were the only difference.

7. samuel882

samuel882 Regular Member

Tour Leader
    INA played the best badminton Team Matches in this SC SF.. splashing.. Amazing.. Heart-Beated non stop games..
    Even tough they lose as expected to China; they still deserved the to be credited for their excellent perfomance.. consider they doesnt have a world class women was no to the standard as Chinese's Gals yet...

8. abedeng

abedeng Regular Member

Occupying Tall Buildings
    I would agree to having all 5 matches played, no matter what the score. Now that we are on 21-pts per rally system, matches don't drag as long as before. Most games end in 20 minutes only. Longest tie was 4 hours (INA vs ENG).

Last time on traditional format, it could take 6 1/2 hours to finish off 5 matches.

9. jimbo

jimbo Regular Member

Absolutely agree. I am so dissapointed not to be able to catch LD-TH game, and I'm sure millions of fans out there felt the same frustration. We only want some world-class matches, are we over demanding? :mad:

Btw, why the changed on the match sequence? :confused:

10. hcyong

hcyong Regular Member

Software Engineer
    Previously, all 5 matches were played, but it became farcical. Players either gave a walkover, or played carelessly. Anyway, the atmosphere was already subdued, so there was no point. Ties that should have been won 5-0 were recorded as 3-2 instead, so they were not a good reflection of the ties as well.

11. pjswift

pjswift Regular Member

Totally agree with you about CHN's instant post-match coaching. Have a feeling it's probably more intensive than pre-match coaching. Goes to show how hard CHN works.When others, like MAS ,are already asleep (or maybe playing) CHN's still working. CHN's probably the only one into video coaching (and the SC LCW-LD match will probably be the most analysed video,maybe frame by frame, enlarged to see clues to LCW's wristwork....) Can't imagine MAS doing video coaching..maybe they don't even know how to operate the machine (if it's working). However, what this means is if MAS works just 20% harder, MAS has a good chance of taking the TC....OC....maybe even SC ..if the XD shapes up like Rexy visualises. So, MAS, work smarter.

12. Han

Han Regular Member

Engineer
    Have you seen Chinese coach continue to coach after his player lost? I don't recall seeing Li Yongbo coaching Lin Dan after Lee Chong Wei defeated him?

13. pjswift

pjswift Regular Member

Good point.What normally happens is players who win usually hang around to savour the moment, like ZB so LYB had the opportunity to do postmatch coaching.Players who lose usually walk off pronto so LD did not hang around to let LYB give him an earful of 'if you had played this..' What is unusual is to give prompt postmatch coaching. Ever seen such a thing with other teams or other sports?

14. Han

Han Regular Member

Engineer
    There are plenty of opportunities to coach even off the court like watching video and analyze or even off camera discussion between player and coach in private room right after the match. I am sure this most probably happen to team/player/coach who rather stay low profile. It's also the culture from different nations as I am sure former Malaysia MS coach Li Mao will coach his player every where even in the bathroom taking shower :D Not to say on-site coaching is not good but to accuse team Malaysia for not doing that hence the failure is just made no sense. Someone really think Rexy doesn't do post coaching after his MD pair lose/win? Nay!

15. bdbc74

bdbc74 Regular Member

At the german open 2006 Cai and Fu lost in semifinal against Lee Yong Dae and Lee Jae Jin. After the match Cai and Fu had to hear a very, very long speech from Li Yongbo and another coach. It's a small arena and almost everybody in there could see that after-match coaching-session. The players sit there for more than 40 minutes and they even don't change there wet tshirts! I was really impressed about this kind of discipline.

16. Joyous

Joyous Regular Member

Yes, that's why Cai/Fu came back so strongly because they were willing to listen & learn. As LYB said, if a player doesn't move forward, then he/she is moving backwards because others are progressing. Harsh, bossy, ruthless as LBY may seemed to be, I believe as a head coach, he meant well and he looks at the interest of all rather than one.

17. robin7

robin7 Regular Member

Dreamer
    Agreed...

DEN was just unfortunate to be in the same group with INA & KOR.

MAS just wasted the good draw. But this happened all the time.

ENG was unlucky to have lost to INA in SF.

CHN will still be dominating for the next couples of years.

18. pjswift

pjswift Regular Member

ok ,there's a misunderstanding here.I never said MAS was a failure (at SC). On the contrary. MAS has accomplished what others couldn't. Mini MAS delivered by netting and smashing a hole through the Great Wall, courtesy of ace LCW. That is a historic breakthrough and should set the stage for further damage to CHN.
    In fact, if I have to choose one team to bet on for the next two years, it would be MAS.MAS is rich in talent. But I believe MAS only works half as hard as CHN. Even then, it could still upset CHN on not a few occasions. This indicates that by putting in ,say ,20% more effort, MAS is likely to upset CHN on many occasions. The key is to get the fitness and stamina up,almost to CHN's level(not necessary to match), and other problems will magically disappear. Because when a player is in super shape physically, he feels good about himself and becomes motivated and interested to achieve. When the motivation and interest is high, learning and working harder seem more effortless. Everything is relative!

19. robin7

robin7 Regular Member

Dreamer
    I like this. It sounds like a headline. :)

20. Han

Han Regular Member

Engineer
    Sorry, I am not accusing you of anything, just want to clarify there are so many ways of coaching, the Chinese way, Malaysia way, Danish Way, Indonesia way, ... all are effective to certain extend and the Chinese way stands out because more titles have won but could very well due to other factors than pure coaching like pool of talent available, discipline, ... Will Taufik do better under Chinese coaching style or will Li Yongbo still do well coaching nation other than China?(I can't imagine Yongbo coaching any of the European teams and be effective at all, players most probably showing him the fingers in every practice :D )
    Just a fun discussion and I do think what you said also makes sense. Right place, right time, right players/coaches are all necessary ingredient for success.