2007 Sudirman Cup - Day 7 - Sunday - FINALS

Discussion in 'Sudirman Cup 2007' started by kwun, Jun 16, 2007.

1. samuel882

samuel882 Regular Member

Tour Leader
    This tournament referee shall be barred to officiate any incoming events by the rest of his life ...:mad:

2. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    ok guys. nice to see you found some "ga gi nang", but please keep the discussion to badminton!!!

3. wilfredlgf

wilfredlgf Regular Member

Security Engineer
    Right, kwun but it seems like Lin Dan is the only 'ji ga nyin' I've found here.

4. Ian015

Ian015 Regular Member

opps, sorry~
    let's talk about badminton~ ^^

5. william-cuong

william-cuong Regular Member

now, China is the best.proud of you!

6. marlen

marlen New Member

student
    How was it?

I watched the first 2 match (XD & MD), but after losing the second match :crying: I couldn't brace myself to keep watching. So, can anybody inform me how the CHN beat INA? Was it an annihilation or did INA manage to snatch 1 point?

7. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
  8. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    Too bad we can't witness another Epic battle of Lindan Vs Taufik. It will definately be VERY interesting if the the fate of the winner is decided by this match.

9. Dill

Dill Regular Member

Lazy git (my coach can verify this)
    No one in the arena wanted a white wash because there was not a single person in the house that didnt want to see lin dan take on taufik :( was gutted it all ended so quickly.

But i had a good week looking at the players and the badminton world :)

10. bic33

bic33 Regular Member

dill, you are so lucky.. i hear that a lot of players who competed were giving compliments to how good the tourney and its organization was.. i hope i was also there to witness the sudirman cup.. :)

11. hydrocyanic

hydrocyanic Regular Member

wasting my time
    while china is indeed dominating in terms of world's badminton

it is simply disgraceful to call it boring, whose fault is it to have china winning most of the cups? i doubt its china's fault to have the best men/women around...

look at it the other way please, catch up ppl, rather than pulling other's back

12. chibe_K

chibe_K Regular Member

China won the cup...expected.
    Indonesia ended second...no surprise.
    England went to semis...big surprise and well done !!!
    Korea went to semis...no surprise.
    As for Denmark and Mal...big disappointment.

13. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    ya. Federer dominates tennis and yet tennis is still highly popular and covered by the media. In circuit racing like indy 500, the #1 rank car leads for most of the laps, i still see huge crowd watching this event.

14. hcyong

hcyong Regular Member

Software Engineer
    If Indonesia's second and Korea's semi are no surprises, how come Denmark is a disappointment?

For Malaysia, the difference between 'no surprise' and 'big disappointment' was whether or not we can convert 3 match points.

15. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    with INA, KOR and DEN in the same group, the one that didn't get into SF should only be considered "bad luck".

MAS to me is "opportunity wasted", they had a good draw but failed to convert on the important matches and points.

ENG is indeed a well done, they even got the opportunity to take down INA but fell short.

16. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    China coach takes issue over Sudirman Cup order rumpus
    Sun Jun 17, 1:34 PM ET

Chinese coach Li Yongbo criticised the eleventh hour attempt by the Badminton World Federation to rejig the order of play in the Sudirman Cup final which his team won here Sunday.

China raced off with their sixth final beating Indonesia 3-0 to rob spectators of the showdown between world champion Lin Dan and Olympic champion Taufik Hidayat, one of two 'dead' rubbers.

In the draw on Saturday night, the order was pulled out of a hat - a change to previous years - and the men's singles came out last. With China winning the first three rubbers, it meant that the last two did not need to be played.

Early Sunday championship director and the chief executive of Badminton Scotland, Anne Smillie, arranged a meeting between tournament referee Keith Hawthorne and the two team coaches to try and arrange a change the order.

But Li would not budge.

"It was most unfortunate," said Smillie, who could otherwise reflect on a hugely successful week.

'The draw was made late on Saturday night and I realise it would have been extremely difficult to change it on Sunday morning and maybe upset the players' mental state and their preparation for such an important match.

"But it was very disappointing. It was a fist class show and it would have been brilliant for the spectators and the TV audience if there had been a different order of play. It was the only hiccup, but one that mattered a great deal."

But Li said he was also angered. 'I am not happy either," he said. "I don't think the BWF has shown any respect to the players or coaches. The casual attitude about draws is not very good."

Hawthorne also realized he had made a mistake. "On hindsight, we shouldn't have done it," he said.

'I have apologised to Anne Smillie and Badminton Scotland."

Previously, the order of play was decided between the two team managers - this time it was changed and pulled out of a hat from the semi-final stage.

But the schedule apart, Li was pleased with his team's display but critical of Lin, who had lost China's only rubber of the week, losing to Malaysia's Lee Chong Wie in the group matches.

"The mixed doubles and men's doubles were particularly pleasing and everything is shaping up well for the Olympics in Beijing next year," he said.

"But there was disappointment in Lin's performance.

"He should learn from the men's doubles. They showed spirit and determination. He has done that in the past, but not this week."
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------]

Sudirman Cup final order of play arouses controversies

The play order of the badminton Sudirman Cup final on Sunday remained unchanged despite a proposal of having men's singles played earlier.

Official at the tournament were trying to put the most eye-catching men's singles in first three rubbers, which was down at bottom of the five sets as was decided by draw the previous night, due to worries that it won't be played at all if hot favorites China beat Indonesia 3-0 or 3-1.

Officials from the world governing body BWF phoned the Chinese team hours before the kickoff of the final on Sunday but China refused to accept any change, according to a Chinese coach.

Sudirman Cup media officer William Kings told Xinhua that some broadcasters were eager to have pictures of the anticipated clash between Chinese world number one Lin Dan and his archrival Olympic champion Taufik Hidayat.

"They went crazy when they're aware that there might not be a men's singles at all," he said, "Everyone wants to see that. It's a real exciting part of the tournament."

Indonesia are making their seventh appearance in the final although they only won the tournament once in the 1989 inaugural edition.

Five-time winners China, chasing their sixth Sudirman trophy in Glasgow, beat Indonesia in the 2005 final in Beijing.

Source: Xinhua
    -----------------------------------------------------------

I think in this sudirman, lin dan isn't in form. However, i doubt taufik would go all out anyway since he knows he would be playing for a lost cause once INA lost the XD. So if LD vs TH match was selected to play, both won't be playing at their best.

17. Joyous

Joyous Regular Member

Not sure if LD really argued but he did try to ignore LYB. At the interval of the deciding set, LYB was seen carrying LD's bag for him, not a norm for a coach but it was a good gesture on his part to make up for the tiff, if any.

18. badMania

badMania Regular Member

There was a connection problem, so, I didn't post my thought yesterday.

Overall, CHINA deserves to win, after yet another 3-0 victory over INDONESIA. However, the first match was quite thrilling. If not for the INA's pair countless mistakes earlier in the third set, the match could go INA's way. The scores were level at 19-19 in the rubber. Too bad, Zheng Bo/Gao Ling were calmer and they duly went to fin the final 2 points.

The men's doubles was not even a contest as Fu Haifeng/Cai Yun totally dominated in all aspects. That went for Zhang Ning as well.

Well, INA has achieved its target of reaching the Final, so, there's nothing to be sad of :D

19. chemile

chemile Regular Member

Nothing is impossible.... I hope Indonesian youngsters get more experience and skills in two years. In 2009, Indonesia will represented by:

MS: Simon Santoso, Tommy Sugiarto, Dion Rumbaka, and probably supported by Andre Tedjono.

WS: Feby Angguni, Pia Zebadiah, Sylvinna Kurniawan, Maria Febe, probably still supported by Maria Kristin.

MD: Bona Septano/Ahsan, Subekti/Fernando, Joko/Hendra, supported by Markis/Hendra (with mental strengthness)

WD: Greysia Polii/new pair (Jo Novita is too old and stagnant), Dili/Yulianti

XD: Rijal/Greysia, Tantowi/Yulianti, Lilyana/new pair (Nova probably retire next year, I hope Alvent Yulianto will replace him)

20. Joyous

Joyous Regular Member

Maybe we should take the phrase in context. Players do play 'silly & stupid'' shots at times just as we sometimes do silly things but it does not necessarily mean the player is silly or stupid.